Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rover 45 Perkins Diesel Engine

Options
  • 28-03-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Been offered a 00 Rover 45 2.0 Perkins Diesel, 74k miles on clock, fsh. Anybody know anything about these, especially cost and availability of parts, reliability etc? Its not costing me too much and I will be happy to get 1-2 years out of it but need it for mainly motorway driving, 5-600 miles per week. Any info appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The L series Diesel was one of the better pre common rail diesels in terms of both performance and economy. Doesn't suffer the same head gasket issues as the K series petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Van Occupanther

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The L series Diesel was one of the better pre common rail diesels in terms of both performance and economy. Doesn't suffer the same head gasket issues as the K series petrol.

Had heard that about the L series alright, do you know is it easy to get parts for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

wasn't that engine also used on the early Freelanders? wouldn't say they'd be that common over here, but maybe moreso in the UK

I ran one for a year, it was in a 1997 Rover 400, wasn't intercooled but much the same unit as the one you are looking at in the 45. L series is regarded as more or less bulletproof. In the 45 it is intercooled and either 100bhp or 115bhp. Parts are no issue, oil, fuel and air filter along with timing belt kit is probably stocked in a local factors, if not next day delivery from UK. Over 50mpg on a run is easily attainable in a 45, my 400 returned 53mpg on a return Cork to Thurles trip with 4 adults in her, the intercooled L series is more efficient. Few things to look for,

- throttle position sensor may not have full travel, they're drive by wire, not full travel means she will be down on power, easy to adjust.
    - MAF can be out of spec resulting in performance loss, they can be cleaned, easy to replace too which may be required.
    - various electrical weirdness, engine related, warning lights etc, 99% of cases this is loom by injector number 1, easy to sort.
    - intercooler hoses split, sometimes very slightly, huge loss in power, easy to replace, uprated ones available too which are a necessity of you intend giving her a little extra boost (very easy to do too by actuator arm adjustment)

Would I recommend one, certainly, quite troublefree and supremely reliable and do loads of miles no bother. The 45 is a good car too if a bit dated by all accounts (in saying that I'd buy a 04/05 45 or ZS without hesitation in diesel form), good interior space and very comfortable.

74K is nothing on one, she'll do you for the next 5 years easy, buy it :)
    This time last year a mechanic from Wexford came down to Cork to buy the 1997 400 off me, he gave me good money for it too. Those who know their beans won't knock one.

As Colm says they were in the early Freelanders. They were also in the 200, 400, 600, 25, ZR & ZS along with the Civic and Accord for European markets (lhd predominantly, France and Italy).

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Van Occupanther

Thanks for the info lads. Looks a good car but heard good and bad reports about Rover's so wasn't sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

a lot of bad reports about Rovers are based on hearsay and head gasket stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    a lot of bad reports about Rovers are based on hearsay and head gasket stories.
    and are generally based on the 45 series petrol engines really to boot. Ive never really heard anything bad about the diesels tbh

Advertisement