Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get contents insurance when renting?

Options
  • 28-03-2010 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone can help me - I've been cohabiting with my gf for a few years now, and we're starting to get a bit more security conscious as we accumulate more stuff, and have moved into a ground floor flat for the first time a few months ago so it feels less secure, esp since we don't have keys for any of the windows - (they do lock with those 'door-handle' type locks though,so I'm not sure how much diff a key would make when you could smash the window anyway)

I'm having a nightmare trying to find contents insurance for renters, and they all seem to have provisions about the type of locks on the apt block door, burglar alarms etc. Since I don't own the flat or the apt block, I'm in no position to go installing alarms or changing the lock on the front door (most policies seem to specify the outside front door has a mortice lock, which I don't think it is).
    The other issue I run into is this - I am cohabiting so all our stuff is intermingled and shared, but as we're not together 'in the eyes of the law' I'm not sure how to insure everything. If I just put it all down as my stuff, and they find out someone else is living there when I make a claim, will it be invalid? Trying to get insurance for more than one persons stuff when you're not married seems to count as a flatshare on the quote forms, which is impossible to get insurance for.

Sorry about the length of this but argh - so many questions when all I want to do is make sure It's not a total loss if I have all my hard-earned posessions wiped out by some scumbag the Garda will never catch. There've been recent daylight burglaries in Galway, and I'm off on holiday soon so doubly concerened.

Alternatively, if insurance is a total loss - does anyone have any security tips for renters to discourage theft. 'Get a dog' is not an option :pac:

Advertisement