Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine starts but no drive

Options
  • 28-03-2010 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

I have a 2001 Hyundai Trajet which has been parked up for 3-4 months. I literally haven't started it up during this time. We had a go at firing her up today. It took 3-4 attempt to get the engine started. It sounded quite rough; some oil dripped out of the exhaust and quite a bit of dirty eggy smelling smoke. The engine idles fine but when you bring the clutch up it gets very lumpy- you were getting a sort of crackling sound- and absolutely no drive. I'm going to get a mechanic out to look at it but would anyone have any ideas about potential problems here? It has about 70k miles on it and was NCT'd early last year.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Maybe the clutch fork sticking...the clutch could be bolloxed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Petrol gone off / condensation in the tank ...running very rough and as soon as you ask it to work harder it conks out ...possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

pajero12 wrote: »
    Maybe the clutch fork sticking...the clutch could be bolloxed

Would the clutch just go if the car was left idle for a few months? There wasn't any clutch or transmission problems before.

peasant wrote: »
    Petrol gone off / condensation in the tank ...running very rough and as soon as you ask it to work harder it conks out ...possibly

Yeah it runs very rough and conks out when I try to give it power. Could I try and pour some fresh petrol in on top or would I have to drain it first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The clutch disk may have bound to the flywheel/pressure plate while left sitting up. If this happened then when you try to drive the disk material can come off leading to no drive.

As for the smoke, Hyundais suffer from leaking valve stem seals so while its was sitting oil may have seaped into the cylinders and been burned off when started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't know really ...depends on how much is left in the tank.

Draining would probably be the safest option

Drake66 wrote: »
    Yeah it runs very rough and conks out when I try to give it power. Could I try and pour some fresh petrol in on top or would I have to drain it first?

It it cutting out when you rev it or when you engage gear and try to drive?

Petrol won't go off in the space of a few months..

It it cutting out when you rev it or when you engage gear and try to drive?

When I engage the gear and try to drive. It just shudders and cuts out.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

I have a 2001 Hyundai Trajet which has been parked up for 3-4 months. I literally haven't started it up during this time. We had a go at firing her up today. It took 3-4 attempt to get the engine started. It sounded quite rough; some oil dripped out of the exhaust and quite a bit of dirty eggy smelling smoke. The engine idles fine but when you bring the clutch up it gets very lumpy- you were getting a sort of crackling sound- and absolutely no drive. I'm going to get a mechanic out to look at it but would anyone have any ideas about potential problems here? It has about 70k miles on it and was NCT'd early last year.

This sounds like there was too much petrol that got through into the cat, fire in the cat (dirty eggy smell) with the cat now destroyed and limiting the exhaust flow.:(
    I managed to do this with a 1.8 Peugeot 406 after washing the engine.:o
    The crackling sound may be the cat ceramics rattling around in the exhaust system.

Good Luck with the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Seized brakes? Possibly rear pads are stuck to discs by a layer of corrosion, if so just give it welly a few times back and forth.

• Advertisement

REXER wrote: »
    This sounds like there was too much petrol that got through into the cat, fire in the cat (dirty eggy smell) with the cat now destroyed and limiting the exhaust flow.:(
    I managed to do this with a 1.8 Peugeot 406 after washing the engine.:o
    The crackling sound may be the cat ceramics rattling around in the exhaust system.

Good Luck with the car.

I kind of feared that happened as well. I'll have to get the mechanic out to look at it. Cheers for the advice

Is it still smoking when idling or what it just when started first?

It its idleing fine with no smoke now then a clutch issue or, as someone said, seized brakes is the likley cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

When I engage the gear and try to drive. It just shudders and cuts out.

Does the car try to move....

ie. when the cluch 'bites' does it try to move or do the revs drop on the counter??

my feeling is the the brakes have siezed.....

Is it still smoking when idling or what it just when started first?

It its idleing fine with no smoke now then a clutch issue or, as someone said, seized brakes is the likley cause.

No just when I started it first. It burnt up a bit of oil but after 2 minutes or so it stopped smoking and was idling ok.

landyman wrote: »
    Does the car try to move....

ie. when the cluch 'bites' does it try to move or do the revs drop on the counter??

my feeling is the the brakes have siezed.....

No I didn't really feel it trying to move. The revs drop off when I bring the clutch up to the bite; it shudders and then cuts out.

No just when I started it first. It burnt up a bit of oil but after 2 minutes or so it stopped smoking and was idling ok.

Well if the clutch is biting then give it some extra welly and if the brakes are seized they will release....just make sure you aren't close to a wall:D

Well I got her going. Your suspicion was right: the brakes were well seized up. I had to give her some amount of welly to shift it. The mechanic said the plugs needed replacing and that was the reason why it was running so roughly. I would of done it myself but by god changing them, and even getting at them, is a seriously non-trivial task on this engine.

Cheers for your help lads

Well I got her going. Your suspicion was right: the brakes were well seized up. I had to give her some amount of welly to shift it. The mechanic said the plugs needed replacing and that was the reason why it was running so roughly. I would of done it myself but by god changing them, and even getting at them, is a seriously non-trivial task on this engine.

Cheers for your help lads

The plugs hard on a trajet?? If removing 1 plastic cover confuses you maybe! They are just right there on top of the engine. 5 min job:confused:

Advertisement