Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Over in cycling...

Options
  • 28-03-2010 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

Guy pulls out at a T junction with compromised visibility into the path of a cyclist, causing him to crash. Who is at fault? To be honest I am amazed he is posting this; with the possible student username does he even have a full license would come to mind. Your views?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Driver is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,789 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Driving into a main road coming from a minor road when your view is obstructed?

:facepalm:

That driver is an incompetent idiot. Thankfully the cyclist is alright. I can only imagine how furious he was. Reminds me of the time I got launched over a car door opened by an ignorant passenger in Rathmines back in '95. It's a miracle I only had some minor scratches and bruises and my bike was undamaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Your full license assumption is a bit awkward OP, I'm in 6th year and have a full license. UCC would suggest College, so any age really.

Drivers fault also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Driver.

Thats assuming of course the cyclist took all the precautions to make himself visible, i.e. lights and hi-viz if it was dusk/dark. I've seen some cyclists with none of these cycling down the road in the dark.

If the cyclist hadn't taken any precaution depending on conditions, I'd see it as blame lying with both parties. Driver not looking properly, and cyclist not making himself visible etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

Driver is too stupid to hold a licence. Has to ask who is at fault after nearly killing someone through poor observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

dynamick wrote: »
    Driver is too stupid to hold a licence. Has to ask who is at fault after nearly killing someone through poor observation.
    Or how about a lapse of judgement? Try thinking before posting comments such as your last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

dynamick wrote: »

So are we to assume you've never made a driving error? While I do think that the guy driving didn't take enough caution, there's no need for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

That has happened to me luckily I was not injured, some damage to thecar Worse is when they pull out a bit and you swerve out into the traffic to avoid the 4 feet of bonnet infront of the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

a mate of mine* used to cycle a small bmx bike around dublin going to and from the office. He lived out in drumcondra and would be going to and from work early in the morning and at about 7 after he'd been to the gym.

He was/is a big guy and knows how to take care of himself. When he was cylcling along a car behind him was right up his ass and beeping at him, ended up over taking him with little space casuing my mate to crash into a park car. Driver beeped again at him when he seen him fall (one of those victory beeps to laugh at my mate)

My mate went a bit pyscho and cycled after him, he caught up with him at traffic lights and asked the hard guy driver to get out of his car if he wanted to to be a príck but the driver just shouted abouse from inside the car and jeered him some more so my mate picked up his bike and threw it through the guys windscreen, stood up on his bonnet and picked his bike out of the car, told the guy he was a very naughty man, he was the thron area of a rose, and both his parents must be dead (yes I have cleaned up the language. Man shít himself some more and my mate cycled off. **

* this story actually involves a mate, I weigh about 10 stone and have never lived in dublin or cycled a bmx.

** I'm not condoning the actions of my friend, (i think he totally over-reacted) but I bet the car driver thinks about picking on a cyclist now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Or how about a lapse of judgement?
    I can excuse the lapse of judgement the guy made pulling out; we all make mistakes. But it's not just a lapse of judgement; after nearly killing someone the guy doesn't accept afterwards that he made a mistake and it was his fault. With an attitude like that he shouldn't be on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

blorg wrote: »
    I can excuse the lapse of judgement the guy made pulling out; we all make mistakes. But it's not just a lapse of judgement; after nearly killing someone the guy doesn't accept afterwards that he made a mistake and it was his fault. With an attitude like that he shouldn't be on the road.

It's these near misses, where thankfully nothing serious happens but so easily could have, by which we are supposed to learn. Learn so well indeed that it will never happen to us again.

Advertisement