Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions for Crossborderclassic.

Options
  • 27-03-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Taken from Crossborderclassic.ie

clip_image002_001.jpg Homeclip_image001.jpgAbout Usclip_image001_000.jpg Gamesclip_image001_001.jpg Rules & Blindsclip_image001_002.jpg Guestbookclip_image002_000.jpgContact Us

VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    Due to a car accident which our secretary was involved in.. Circumstances beyond our control have led us to the decision to postpone the Cross Border Open Classic Finals till March 2010 the weekend of the 13th March 2010.
    For anyone who may have been trying to contact our secretary she is jst back from recovery and the number which she may be contacted on is 0863161800.
    PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL TICKETS THAT HAVE BEEN BOUGHT OR WON ARE ALL VALID FOR THE EVENT IN MARCH.
    For tickets holders we would be grateful if you could contact Lorna on 0863161800 or Adrian on 0877805097 with a brief txt with your ticket number and name.
    We extend our sincere apologies to you for any inconvenience that we may have caused.
    Pub games will be continuing to run till March due to a wide interest.
    We look forward to seeing you all at the Cross border Finals in March which what we are certain will be a very successful event.
    If you have any questions or queries please contact Adrian or Lorna on the above numbers and they will be only to happy to help.
    About Us
    This is a Texas Hold’Em Tournament. Between now and March 2010 we are running satellite games throughout the country at a cost of €30 per player (+ €5 registration). These games are freeze outs. 1st prize wins a ticket to the semi-finals. Satellite games player stack is 10,900. Blinds and timeframes are set out on the Rules & Blinds page of this website.

The satellite game entry fees of €30 per player go 100% into the prize fund for that game (after deducting €250 for the cost of the final ticket to be given to the 1st prize winner).

Satellite game prize pools (based on 16 players per game) are as follows: 1st prize: ticket to finals + €40; 2nd prize: €120; 3rd prize: €70. Therefore all money raised at the satellite game, after deducting the €250 for the cost of the semi-final ticket, returns to the players on the night. All disputes are handled by the dealer on the night and the dealer has the final say.

NO CASH GAMES ARE OFFERED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THIS TOURNAMENT.

Tickets into the finals are €250 with a €75 buy back. These tickets can be won at a satellite game or purchased directly, in advance of the event, from a committee member. Registration for the finals is being handled in advance of the events through the committee and is being done simultaneously to winning a satellite game or directly purchasing a ticket to the finals.

The Final, which will be held in the Errigal House Hotel in Cootehill, Co. Cavan on the weekend of the 13th March 2010, will have an estimated prize pool of €100K. Estimated prizes are: 1st €40K, 2nd €20K, 3rd €10K, continuing down to 25th place. Additional prizes will also be awarded at The Final. Highly skilled dealers will be running the events

For a list of the rules please refer to the Rules & Blinds page of this website.

There are no prerequisites as to who can play in this tournament. Anyone over 18 years of age who hopes to play to win is welcome.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ticket.jpg[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TO BUY A TICKET DIRECTLY CONTACT LORNA ON 086 3161800[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]OR ADRIAN ON 087 7805097[/FONT]
    paddypower.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ^^^^^^Please note the statement highlighted in red.^^^^^^
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Below is the result of an investigation carried out by Iain Cheyne and posted on IPR.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

There has been much concern over the past few months with Cross Border Open Classic, and tickets being offered for sale and players asking in public forums whether the event is taking place. I decided to investigate and find out what this event was all about.
    It hasn’t been advertised anywhere but in local villages for small pub game satelittes. They recently cancelled the main event due to be held in November in Co. Cavan and moved it to March 2010. They were offering a huge estimate of €100,000 prize plus added Irish Open tickets.
    It wasn’t looking good.
    I went to the top and spoke to Secretary Lorna Guckian. She explained that she had recently been in a recent car accident and 'they' had to put back the tournament due not being able to fully commit to the tournament.
    But, Who are THEY?
    It turns out to be one of Irelands largest ever Charity games, run for the benefit of Cootehill Harps for their football club to have a new Astro turf pitch. They have been running small pub games since January 2009 to get €250 tickets out to their game. To date they have 126 tickets out at €250 each. Apparently all good and valid for their new date March 13th 2010 where they will be running at least a 3 day festival with 2 day 1’s.
    A few questions came to mind. ‘If you guys have not advertised it in the usual places, magazines, IPR or on the forums, then who is running it. Where is the experience coming from to run a multiday tournament’.
    They have recruited top tournament director Mick McGuane and Gary Baxter of Hibernian poker, who’s responsible for the Cavan Poker Open and next year’s Ulster Open. Mick coming in at the last minute should make people feel a lot easier with their €250 out there. Although the tickets are the responsibility of the football club, they have recruited PaddyPowerPoker.com in to support them with Irish Open Tickets. Whether they are added, part of the prize pool or a last longer competition was unclear.
    The Hotel chosen for this venture is the Errigal Country House 4 Star hotel in Cootehill, Co. Cavan about 15 miles outside Cavan off the main N3. (Mick is known for these out of the way beautiful hotels). My usual concerns crop up as to whether a hotel, that has little experience of hosting a tournament, especially one of this magnitude whether they can live up to the standards Irish Poker players demand. I tried it out in a small satellite tournament. Although, we were in a small room they had provided free tea and coffee, including some minerals and the food was pretty good. How much the bedroom’s cost, in 2009 they cost €119 b&b with double room. But it is not a big place. If you do have a ticket I would book in early for a room.
    I guess it shows that to run a large tournament then you need to know what you are doing. Although Lorna and Adrian McCann ( No relation to JP, I asked) have been dedicated to this for nearly 10 months driving around the countryside of Leitrim, Longford, Cavan and Fermanagh showing 100% commitment running games in little pubs all over. I guess to pull this off they needed some experience in the team. BTW, Lorna has had two car crashes this year. Perhaps the rake will pay her car insurance? They have not received a penny from the 5 evenings a week of effort and expenses put in. It is all for the love of their football club.
    Which brings me nicely to the matter of how much the football club are getting out of this and whether this event offers real value.
    The main event is €250 in with a €75 rebuy. The rebuy goes to the Football club. So effectively, you are paying €325 of which the reg is 30%. I can give them 10-15% for running a standard tournament of old. But, most tournaments in hotels have been 20% recently. So I guess, as it is for charity it is still real value. So far, there are 126 tickets gone to pub players, and for the more experienced players out there, this offers real value for this large minefield.
    If you have concerns over the event then contact Lorna on 0863161800 or check out their website http://crossborderclassic.ie
    Trusting that everything goes to plan, and it goes ahead in March, this will be a 2010 ranking event.

< Prev Next > Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 November 2009 15:52

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

This below was posted on boards by Mr.Wolf from Hibernian Poker/Cavan poker to confirm the status of the tournament and tickets out to date.

Thanks for clearing that up Iain.

The Cross Border Poker Classic is being run on Thursday March 11th (Day 1a) and Friday March 12th (Day 1b) with Day 2 on Saturday March 13th.
    The game was originally scheduled for November but several mitigating factors have lead to it being postponed. (All details of this can be found in Iains thread, link posted above)
    March was decided on as the earliest convenient date so that it doesn't clash with The Ulster Open.
    This game is a fund raiser operation for Cootehill Harps F.C. It is a €250 entry with a €75 rebuy or top up (not both).
    There is an estimated prize-pool of €100,000 up for grabs in this. (This amount has never been guaranteed afaik)
    But with the number of tickets out to date (126) and satellite games being run for the next 4 months they should reach this total.
    Hibernian Poker have been asked to run the main event on behalf of Cootehill Harps and we are all looking forward to what should be a great game with a very juicy prize-pool.
    For further details on satellites etc you can PM me or e-mail me at mick@cavanpoker.com.
    I will be posting up the full game details after Christmas.

Last edited by Mr. Wolf; 28-11-2009 at 04:30.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I have asked Lorna from cootehill harps on several occasions through Boards.ie to confirm the numbers for this event which she has chosen to ignore.

Now all of the above statements have been taken from valid current websites /Crossborderclassic.ie/ irishpokerrankings (IPR) and boards.

All of these state that in november there was 126 tickets for this event valid and paid for .

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Summary as i see it .

There was 105 entrants on the night with approximately 97 rebuys creating a prizepool of €27,950 .
    This event was run by Hibernian poker for cootehill harps and was run to a very high standard .
    Now my main concern at this point is why the prizepool was not made up of at least 126 tickets that all the above parties had stated were valid and paid for , thus creating a starting prizepool of €27,720 , and then you can add the 97 rebuys at €50 each (€4,850) bringing the total to €32,570.

After my last post on boards asking for someone to clarify the numbers I recieved a phone call from Mick (Hibernian Poker) who was wondering what my interest in this was and over the course of this conversation he also told me that there was another 25 tickets that was won for this since november and there was also 23 players that payed cash on the night.
    Now this is deeply disturbing to me as not only now IMO is the prizepool down by 21 buyins it is now also missing an extra 48 buy ins by way of sat's and direct buy in's on the night, so thats 25 x €250 = €6,250 and then 23 x €220 = €5,060 bringing the total to €11,310 .

So the way it was .
    105 entrants at €220 = €23,100
    97 rebuys at €50 = €4,850
    Total €27,950

The way it should have been and this i only my opinion and i would invite anyone from Crossborder/Cootehill Harps/ to reply to this and clarify their position on this.

126 tickets won/sold = €27,720 ( up to november)
    97 rebuys = €4,850
    25 tics by sat = €6,250 (since november)
    23 cash buy ins = €5,060
    Total €43,880

So the difference add's up to €15,930 which in the current climate is quite a large chunk of change to be missing from any prizepool.

There was also a question of whether the ticket for the Irish Open was added to the prizepool or taken from it .
    I think from the results posted that it was taken from the prizepool also .
    Perhaps you could also clarify this as from what i can gather the event was supported by PaddyPower and the ticket was donated to the club and used as an advertising tool to boost numbers. (Again please correct me if this i wrong).

Now as far as i know Crossborder are planning to run this fundraiser for the next 3 years , so i think it would be important to them to put their side across .

Again this is just an observation by me and i am welcoming anyone to help me understand if i am getting this all wrong.

Also these questions are directed at Crossborderclassic/Cootehill Harps AFC and are in no way directed at Hibernian Poker .
    Damo..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

We'll have to get you a big spoon Damo. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭IPR_Iain

As I see it Damo, I think when I interviewed Lorna from Cootehill harps they may have been some porky pies been told about the numbers of tickets already out. Whether this was to boost confidence in the event i do not know. But I reported what I was told in that telephone interview.

I didn't attend the event in the end as a follow up due to personal circumstances. But it is doubtful whether Mick from Hibernian would have withheld monies from the prizepool. As far as I know he was contracted to run the event and was paid by the organisers not directly from the prize pool.

I feel that there may have been a lot changed over the course of the run up and the event itself. Partly due to Lorna being in a car crash and because they had no experience of running a huge game like this. Hopefully they would do better next time and get someone in from the start who knows the business and can advise them correctly from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

can you tell me any more about the ulster open you mentioned or where I could find out about it?

montyrebel wrote: »
    can you tell me any more about the ulster open you mentioned or where I could find out about it?

Was planned but never was annouced.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Mr. Wolf

Tut tut Damo,
    As I recall I rang you last Saturday and had quite a lengthy conversation with you regarding this event, only some of which you chose to include here.
    Just to remind you then, I told you that as far as I knew there were never more than 80 odd tickets that had been physically won for the originally scheduled game in November, about 50 players had 'promised' to come to this game who never actually showed up to the re-scheduled game in March, none of these players had paid any money towards the event.
    Now, as you know Damo, having successfully run Banditz poker both in your own club in Monaghan and in many venues around the country, a 'promise' to play is not the same as a certified ticket holder.
    These promisary tickets were (naiively) included in the 126 total. In addition, many players who had won their tickets for the November event sought and were given refunds prior to the game in March.
    At no time were we ever given a full exact ticket count by Cross Border, but once Cootehill Harps promised to cover the €25,000 guarantee for the event we were more than happy to run it on their behalf.
    The speculation surrounding the Irish Open ticket being added to the prize-pool was never more than that i.e. speculation. It was never part of the deal as far as I was aware.
    I know of no one who had won a ticket for this event who didn't play who was not given a refund for their ticket. If anyone knows of such a person please ask them to contact me here or by PM or e-mail (Mick@cavanpoker.com) or by phone on 086-2205111)
    I know of many people who had promised to play this event who never showed up.
    I DO know that we had 105 players for the main event, 97 of whom topped up for a total prize-pool of €27,950.
    I personally was very pleased with the way the event ran, I believe Garry Baxter is one of the best tournament directors I have ever witnessed and the event ran flawlessly.
    I have sent both Lorna and Adrian texts to ask them to come on here and respond to the questions that you have asked Damo, in the meantime I hope I have cleared up some of the ambiguities surrounding this game (although I thought I had explained this fully to you on the phone)
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭DAMO72

If there was never any more than 80 tickets out for this then why was this not posted prior to the event instead of the 126 which was posted .

So tut tut yourself Mick for clearly missleading people.

Fact: Crossborder and IPR and yourself advertised 126 tickets valid and paid for back in november .

Fact: there was at least by your own admission another 25 ticket won since then in satelites and another 23 buy ins on the night .

The only nievety i can see is from crossborder thinking they can lie and decieve people out of a lot of money which should have been in the prizepool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Crossborder

Hi everyone

A full response can be found on our own thread labeled €25,000 minimum guaranteed, in the real world tournaments and events

Hope this link works http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65129542#post65129542

Thanks
    Lorna

Hi everyone

A full response can be found on our own thread labeled €25,000 minimum guaranteed, in the real world tournaments and events

Hope this link works http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65129542#post65129542

Thanks
    Lorna
    Notice to all event organisers.

You can advertise your event and say that you have as many tickets as you like out for it and that you will add gold bars to the prizepool. Then just print an excuse like the one above and everything will be ok. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DAMO72 wrote: »
    Fact: Crossborder and IPR and yourself advertised 126 tickets valid and paid for back in november .

Fact: there was at least by your own admission another 25 ticket won since then in satelites and another 23 buy ins on the night .

The only nievety i can see is from crossborder thinking they can lie and decieve people out of a lot of money which should have been in the prizepool.

Damo,

In all fairness we can only report what we are told. we were told 126, we reported 126.

• Advertisement

IPR_Iain wrote: »
    Damo,

In all fairness we can only report what we are told. we were told 126, we reported 126.
    Sorry about that iain , i didnt mean to imply that you were advertising this .
    Of course you can only print what you were told which was either total lies or maybe it was the truth . Who knows .
    But i do know that a bullsh1t excuse like that doesnt cut it.

If there was never any more than 80 tickets out for this then why was this not posted prior to the event instead of the 126 which was posted .

So tut tut yourself Mick for clearly missleading people.
    Well ???? surely you can think up a good lenghty answer for this .

Damo,

Perhaps you should invite them onto the radio show to explain why they lied to you ???

Perhaps you should invite them onto the radio show to explain why they lied to you ???

not sure they lied, but a great idea

not sure they lied, but a great idea
    Any chance of this interview taking place .
    I have mentioned this fiasco to a few reporters from various magazines over the wk end in the burlington and they are interested in following this up as there is more holes in this than a tea bag.

Maybe you want to get in there first Iain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

thought all this was sorted ?

1,question about entrys
    2,questions about tickets
    3,question about tickets giving out from prize pool ?

corkie123 wrote: »
    thought all this was sorted ?

1,question about entrys
    2,questions about tickets
    3,question about tickets giving out from prize pool ?
    There was a lame excuse posted on the other thread claiming naivety and stupidity that just doesn't wash .
    Realistically it adds up to the equivelant of 69 tickets which havent made it to the prizepool .

Advertisement