Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Biting Point on a Polo

Options
  • 27-03-2010 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I recently tried driving in the car I plan to take the test in - a VW Polo

In my instructor's car I had no problem finding the biting point and moving the car in 1st gear to do manoeuvres, but I find this car keeps trying to jump away on me!

Any tips as to how I can improve this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭salamander27

When I first started driving someone told me to take the car to an empty car park, and without using the accelerator get the car moving by really slowly lifting the clutch. It was kinda annoying at first but after maybe 20 stalls my foot and ear got sensitive enough to be able to stop lifting the clutch when I heard the engine rev drop slightly, and the car slowly moved off. I really help if you can do this by yourself!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

I recently tried driving in the car I plan to take the test in - a VW Polo

In my instructor's car I had no problem finding the biting point and moving the car in 1st gear to do manoeuvres, but I find this car keeps trying to jump away on me!

Any tips as to how I can improve this?

If you have already done the hill start with your instructor, try this in the Polo:

Park on a quiet but slight hill, in near the kerb.

Make sure you carry out all your observations and there are no cars parked behind you.

Put the car in 1st gear. Press the brake pedal and drop the handbrake.

Take your foot off the brake pedal and let the car start to roll. Almost immediately bring the clutch up to the biting point and stop the car on the clutch ONLY.

Repeat over and over til you've got it mastered ;)

It sounds like you are letting the clutch come up a bit too far

Advertisement