Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cover over wooden trim ?

Options
  • 27-03-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was hoping someone here could help me.

I found a 2nd hand car I want to buy. Problem is that the wooden trim in it isn't the nicest ! Its a bit orange.

I've searched on line and there are kits of pre-cut wood effect contact effect stickers available from the US for a lot of models but not the model i'm looking at.

Could I get ordinary sheets of nicer wood effect contact and cut it and place it over the existing trim or would that just turn out crap ?

Does anyone here know of any other options I have. :confused::confused:

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Whats the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

high horse wrote: »
    Whats the car?

Its a Skoda Superb

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Do you plan on reselling the car any time soon? If so, I wouldn't start messing with the trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

if it was me, go to a skoda dealer, and buy some new veener in a differnt colour,

already made to measure and will not look naff in the car.... and will keep it still original skoda for when you go to sell it

robtri wrote: »
    if it was me, go to a skoda dealer, and buy some new veener in a differnt colour,

already made to measure and will not look naff in the car.... and will keep it still original skoda for when you go to sell it

Yea this would be great if I could get it ! Is something like this available in the dealers here? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I presume its the old model superb. I will have a look at some part diagrams now.

You will have a fair few parts to change (although you might not have all the stuff mentioned below):

Strip on each door
    Gear lever surround
    Radio surround & ashtray
    Rear console trim for above vents
    rear console ashtray for below vent
    Gear handle possibly.

Now all these appear to be available in the following colours:
    Vavona (brown)
    Dark Vavona (brown)
    Indian summer ?
    Black
    Chrome

The price for the lot might be shocking though. Maybe a breaker would sort ya out.

There does seem to be some terrible colour wood used in the old superb.

mickdw wrote: »
    You will have a fair few parts to change (although you might not have all the stuff mentioned below):

Strip on each door
    Gear lever surround
    Radio surround & ashtray
    Rear console trim for above vents
    rear console ashtray for below vent
    Gear handle possibly.

Now all these appear to be available in the following colours:
    Vavona (brown)
    Dark Vavona (brown)
    Indian summer ?
    Black
    Chrome

The price for the lot might be shocking though. Maybe a breaker would sort ya out.

There does seem to be some terrible colour wood used in the old superb.

Thanks for all that Mick. That sounds like quite a lot of work (and money!) to change all these. I was hoping to get some made to measure veneer to cover them as robtri suggested.

Does anyone know if these are available here ? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

hmm so a Skoda is Superb in the same way as a Suzuki is Swift then...

i'll get my coat:D

Thanks for all that Mick. That sounds like quite a lot of work (and money!) to change all these. I was hoping to get some made to measure veneer to cover them as robtri suggested.

Does anyone know if these are available here ? Cheers

This is what robtri was suggesting, buying alternative colour parts from the dealer. They dont do veneer that can just stick on.
    Go to the dealer & price it up anyway. No work involved really in fitting Im sure. Ive seen some superbs with disgusting colour wood completely surrounded by the black dash which looks terrible. Who signs off on these finishes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

You could try removing the trim, bring it to a local sign shop or something and get a decent quality wrap or something put over them then re-attach.

I've seen it done before and it actually looked well. A nice piano black or something would do the job nicely

Thanks alot guys for all your help and comments.

I came across this site that has kits for Superbs. So I'll get onto them tomorrow and get it sorted ! It can't be worse than whats there already !

http://www.wowtrim.com/

cheers

Those are actual panels too that need to be fitted so possibly same work required as getting replacement skoda panels. It might be worse also as with aftermarket stuff, the fit might not be great. Thats alot of cash too plus you probably dont need all the bits in those kits.
    Worth trying a breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I like the idea of a plastic wrap.

Advertisement