Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost and Religion

Options
  • 27-03-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭

For those of you who are fans, I'm sure you are aware that the TV show Lost has always had religious themes in it. These themes were moreso present in Season 1-3 but were cooled on during Season 4 and 5. However, it has come back to the fore in Lost's final season.

For those of you who haven't seen it, there was a scene in this week's episode of Lost entitled Ab Aeterno where the characters Jacob and Richard have a discussion. The conversation reminded me a lot about how religious people argue their point these days, such as why God doesn't intervene in life or what is in it for the individual in devoting his life to God. Anyway, I just thought I'd share the scene with you and get your opinions. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I gave up on Lost after I realised it was rubbish.

Generally when I see Christianity represented on the TV series like this (Battlestar Galactica would be another example) it has been fairly beaten up and mangled. It might echos of what I believe, but perhaps nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Liking the theory that Jacob and 'Man In Black' are fallen angels.We shall see I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I gave up on Lost after I realised it was rubbish.

Generally when I see Christianity represented on the TV series like this (Battlestar Galactica would be another example) it has been fairly beaten up and mangled. It might echos of what I believe, but perhaps nothing more.

I gave up on Lost and religion for exactly the same reason!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

[Nerdy tangent]

I don''t think Battlestar Galactica was trying to directly represent Christianity - or any other religion in particular - as such, any more than it was trying to directly represent Iraq. It just incorporated ideas and themes from both.

[/Nerdy tangent]

[Nerdy tangent]

I don''t think Battlestar Galactica was trying to directly represent Christianity - or any other religion in particular - as such, any more than it was trying to directly represent Iraq. It just incorporated ideas and themes from both.

[/Nerdy tangent]

Just a clarification. I didn't say that BSG directly represented Christianity. I said that Christianity (or echos of it) was represented on the show. A small but fairly significant distinction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It kinda irked me that they brought in this overtly christian theme to the show. Smacks of lazy writing for some reason. Just wasn't impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Just a clarification. I didn't say that BSG directly represented Christianity. I said that Christianity (or echos of it) was represented on the show. A small but fairly significant distinction.

It is indeed, my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    For those of you who are fans, I'm sure you are aware that the TV show Lost has always had religious themes in it. These themes were moreso present in Season 1-3 but were cooled on during Season 4 and 5. However, it has come back to the fore in Lost's final season.

For those of you who haven't seen it, there was a scene in this week's episode of Lost entitled Ab Aeterno where the characters Jacob and Richard have a discussion. The conversation reminded me a lot about how religious people argue their point these days, such as why God doesn't intervene in life or what is in it for the individual in devoting his life to God. Anyway, I just thought I'd share the scene with you and get your opinions. :)

I'm a fan, but only as a detective novel experience. I haven't seen anything remotely Christian yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

It kinda irked me that they brought in this overtly christian theme to the show. Smacks of lazy writing for some reason. Just wasn't impressed.

Christianity doesn't have a monopoly on good vs evil, right vs. wrong, two opposing forces etc. Nothing particularly Christian about it so far. IMO it is far more of an 'overtly Chinese philosophical theme', yin-yang for example, two interdependent polar opposite forces, neither is wholly good nor wholly bad so far.

That said Lost is the only tv programme I watch religiously*. Have done from the very first episode. But it has definitely gone down hill, and if it wasn't for the earlier seasons I would never have gotten into the show. At this stage I watch it out of habit as much as anything - I just have to see how it ends. I'm glad it's nearly over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

yeah what he said ^^

Lost has always been far more influenced by Eastern concepts of balance between good and evil, light and dark, than Christianity which sees evil in a much lesser sense than good/God

• Advertisement

I'll have to take your word on that - both of you. I plan to watch the last episode in hopes that everything is wrapped up in a neat little package.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Personally I gave up on Lost midway through season 2 ( Kate notwithstanding). I do plan to get the box set when the series is finally complete. Re: BSG, a single monotheistic God with control issues - that’s why I cheered on the Cylons, so very close to Catholicism :)

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

AFAICR BSG is supposed to have Mormon influences.

EDIT: Fun reading on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_and_mythological_references_in_Battlestar_Galactica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Armas22

Someone knows the ending to Lost - a Garda in Charlestown Co Mayo.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1256480/Why-Tony-Blair-donate-5m-windfall-Help-For-Heroes.html

Only watching it to see what the hell it's all about. Feel like it's been a total waste of time.

Advertisement