Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rude question, sorry!!

Options
  • 27-03-2010 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi,

Sorry to mention this... let alone give this topic its own thread but looking over thread's, their seems to be alot of talk given to poo-ing during birth!! Im due in September, and considered it was a pretty rare thing but it doesnt seem so!! lol :rolleyes:

Should i ward my boyfriend to overt his eyes when our baby pops out?? Oh my god, id die! What a sight!!!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

first time soon to be mummy speaking and from reading on rollercoaster and here poo'in does seem to happen alot during labour as ur pushing with the same muscles as such. But the midwives are suppose to be really discreet and clean u up pretty quickly so ur bf hopefully won't see.

I'm so hoping this doesn't happen to me as with the iron tablets u take, ur poo is quite smelly (maybe this just me lol)

At the end of the day, I don't think I will care when its happening.

I don't want my fella going down to look as we've broken up since I got preg so don't want him seeing my private bits and bobs lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

If you do poo, don't worry you won't know about it and believe me, you won't care!

Your body should have a natural clear out before labour starts, so even if you do have an extra guest at the party, it'll only be a small one!

In my experience of working as a midwife, very few people have pooped, but maybe I was just lucky! It's cleared away before anyone see's and even if you ask the midwife if you pooped, the nice ones will always say no :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

On one born every minute the mid-wives mentioned a sepository that prevented this happening (not an enemea) .

Are these available in Irish hospitals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Pinkdust

Thanks Bulmersgal and Crazycatlady! Good to know.. :)
    I saw that on one born every minute too but i presume thats just like taking a laxative before the birth so you're emptied out...not actually a special suppositry for pregnancy? Maybe im wrong???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

My cousin said she did poo while having her son and also when the midwife pressed down on her stomach for the afterbirth she, in her own words, "peed everywhere". Her husband was in the room and they're still together. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

I gather it does happen alright, but am refusing to dwell on it and telling himself to stay up the top end of the bed as much as possible so he doesn't faint!!!:eek::eek:

Apparently a lot of guys faint in the Labour ward, and many go when the epidural is being put in. So warn em to go for a walk for that one lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

I have been given advice on this from friends who have had children.
    the first was to drink a smoothie every morning for brekkie in your last month to keep you 'normal and binded' so to speak.
    the second was that although you can excrete while giving birth, apparently even YOU barely notice as the midwives are so used to it and they 'wrap' it up and chuck it away as soon as it happens and then proceed as if nothing has happened at all! I will say its not a huge worry for me as i think by the time i am in full labour i will have far more things to think about that something as natural as pushing out a poo whilst pushing out my child lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

I completely forgotten that this could happen and when I was brought in for induction I continued to eat like a horse the whole day. My labour turned out to be quite short in the end and nothing had time to empty beforehand. Poor midwives were lovely about it but I was totally hung-up. Hubby didn't care. He was so overwhelmed by the whole baby-coming-out-of-wife's-bits process that he didn't even notice.
    My advice: in the last days of pregnancy, eat light - lots of salads and fruit - the smoothie idea is a great one. Once you go into labour, drink loads of fluids and again, stick to fruit and salads. It's not the worst thing in the world but by god you have little enough dignity during labour without adding poo to the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Pinkdust

Haha...

Fair point hiltonhater :) "i think by the time i am in full labour i will have far more things to think about that something as natural as pushing out a poo whilst pushing out my child lol"

Smoothie seems a great idea too.. im only 15+3 days and im pretty sure im not eating enough fruit/veg etc :/ Im genuinely am trying to eat healthily but everytime i see a chocolate cake. . . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

bogtotty wrote: »
    I completely forgotten that this could happen and when I was brought in for induction I continued to eat like a horse the whole day. My labour turned out to be quite short in the end and nothing had time to empty beforehand. Poor midwives were lovely about it but I was totally hung-up. Hubby didn't care. He was so overwhelmed by the whole baby-coming-out-of-wife's-bits process that he didn't even notice.
    My advice: in the last days of pregnancy, eat light - lots of salads and fruit - the smoothie idea is a great one. Once you go into labour, drink loads of fluids and again, stick to fruit and salads. It's not the worst thing in the world but by god you have little enough dignity during labour without adding poo to the experience.

Hiya Bogtotty,

Congrats on your baby arrival :-)
    Hope you dont mind.. just thought I would ask..
    How long over due were you when they brought you in for induction and would you share the experience of being induce with us???? I am due in 2 days but cant stop thinking of what about if I have to be induced??? Does it takes for ever and is it really sore???
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

Don't forget to keep eating your slow release carbs like brown bread and pasta - you won't be allowed to eat in labour so you need to stock up on energy to get you through the labour!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 houseman

you won't be allowed to eat in labour so you need to stock up on energy to get you through the labour!

:eek: you're not allowed eat during labour??? how'd I get this far without knowing that?

Is there a cut off point? What if youre going for 9 or 10 hours? I was told at the antenatal classes to bring a bag of juice boxes and snacks so as not to starve. I know i probably wont Want to eat, but would like to have the option...

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

@CrazyCatLady (or anyone in the know) - On one born every minute there was a woman giving birth in a kneeling position facing the back of the bed.
    I can understand how you would clean up for her when she is on her back, but how would you manage in that position?

I think it is a great position for pushing baby out, but I have major concerns about poo'ing all over the place, and the baby that way. I know you say while in labour you won't care, but the thoughts of it???! :o
    Oh and I read some where that an enema can dehydrate you, and also make anything left runnier :o, so maybe it would make it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Once you get to a certain stage of labour and once you have had an epidural you are not allowed to eat. You can have drinks but engery drinks may not be a good idea.

As for pooing, happened on my first, the midwife just used tissue and whisked it away and didn't happen on my second as I knew my own body and made sure that I had gone before I hit second stage of labour.

Poo is just as easily cleaned away in the kneeling position as any other! Trust me, you won't know about it!

Once you're admitted to the labour ward you'll only be allowed water. If you're admitted to the antenatal ward in pre-labour you can eat and drink as normal.

Enemas are not common practice these days in the maternity hospitals. What you do at home before you come into your hospital is your own business!

At the end of the day, if its gonna happen its gonna happen! Its not really worth worrying about too much. As long as you have a healthy baby at the end of it thats all you're going to be concerned with. Trust me, when you're handed your beatiful bundle of love, the last thing running through your mind will be whether you pooped, and after that you'll be too busy to care anyway!

Poo is just as easily cleaned away in the kneeling position as any other! Trust me, you won't know about it!

Once you're admitted to the labour ward you'll only be allowed water. If you're admitted to the antenatal ward in pre-labour you can eat and drink as normal.

Enemas are not common practice these days in the maternity hospitals. What you do at home before you come into your hospital is your own business!

At the end of the day, if its gonna happen its gonna happen! Its not really worth worrying about too much. As long as you have a healthy baby at the end of it thats all you're going to be concerned with. Trust me, when you're handed your beatiful bundle of love, the last thing running through your mind will be whether you pooped, and after that you'll be too busy to care anyway!

Awwww.. love your reply CCL.. thanks for that! :)
    Am due tomorrow... any advises how to bring up the labour.. I know its all only saying.. just the idea of induction is not the best for me :(

Thanks for the lovely reply CCL, I know its a stupid fear, and the last thing for anyone to be worried about. But something you can't help thinking about.
    Anyway, here's hoping all midwives are as nice as you seem to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

ecaf wrote: »
    @CrazyCatLady (or anyone in the know) - On one born every minute there was a woman giving birth in a kneeling position facing the back of the bed.
    I can understand how you would clean up for her when she is on her back, but how would you manage in that position?

I think it is a great position for pushing baby out, but I have major concerns about poo'ing all over the place, and the baby that way. I know you say while in labour you won't care, but the thoughts of it???! :o
    Oh and I read some where that an enema can dehydrate you, and also make anything left runnier :o, so maybe it would make it worse.

i gave birth in this position with my first, and the midwife held a little piece of cotton wool to my bottom:D and this stops anything suprising popping out!! I had all the labour pain in my back for that one and it was such a comfortable position...

cbyrd wrote: »
    i gave birth in this position with my first, and the midwife held a little piece of cotton wool to my bottom:D and this stops anything suprising popping out!! I had all the labour pain in my back for that one and it was such a comfortable position...
    Haha! :D Had to try and stop myself laughing at that! (I'm still in work)
    Glad to hear about someone who has experienced that position and found it good too. I was trying to explain this position to my hubbie, but he was having none of it, just thought it would be weird. Thankfully not up to him!

Elle13 wrote: »
    Congrats on your baby arrival :-)
    Hope you dont mind.. just thought I would ask..
    How long over due were you when they brought you in for induction and would you share the experience of being induce with us???? I am due in 2 days but cant stop thinking of what about if I have to be induced??? Does it takes for ever and is it really sore???
    Thanks!

Hi Ella,
    I was 10 days over. I was hoping to last until I went myself but my blood pressure was high and they thought the fluid levels had dropped so I was kept in at my +10 check-up. The following morning I had the gels applied at around 11am (very uninvasive, a bit like inserting a tampon). I went about my business for the rest of the day - watched tv, bounced on the ball, went for a long waddle around the grounds of the hospital, all hoping to kick things off but nothing seemed to be happening. Around 4pm I was put on the monitor and the nurse sent me off to the labour ward as she wasn't happy with the machine ad wanted me put on a newer one on the labour ward. I was there about 20 mins when I got one almighty contraction and my waters went. My son was born 4 hours later :-)

I had really hoped for as natural a birth as possible and was dreading being induced. If I could, I'd do it all again exactly the same way next time. The contractions came every 2 minutes from the start, never got any more painful than that first one, and after 2 hours I was ready to start pushing. At one point I started asking for the epi as I thought it would get more and more painful, but the midwife and my other half talked me out of it and I'm so glad they did, because it didn't get any worse and once I got over the fear I was able to relax and managed fine. Once I started pushing (which gives a weird sensation of relief) the gas and air were more than enough and I'm sure it would have been a much longer process had I taken the epi. And he wasn't a tiny baby - 9lbs 6 - I think having all my faculties helped get him out.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the idea of induction - it's actually grand. Ask for gels to kick you off and if they don't work get at least 2 more doses at 12hr intervals (if appropriate in your circumstances). The gels mimic natural labour much more closely - the oxytocin drip is said to give very intense contractions and ARM (artificial rupture of the membranes) can put you up against the clock in terms of how long you'll be allowed to labour for.

I had no restrictions on what I could eat or drink, but what with the poo issue and the nausea from the gas (it fades after 10 mins) and all I had no appetite. I strongly recommend that raspberry lucozade sport though - yummy!

Good luck, hope it kicks off soon for you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I would suggest that going into labour naturally is the best idea, where possible.

Sometimes a drip, or Gel is necessary, for various reasons. And that's fine. They are both very effective and safe procedures. The reason I would suggest waiting to go into labour naturally is that your cervix softens naturally before giving birth, making labour easier. It's why very premature labours tend to be more painful.
    If induction is necessary, I'd recommend the Gel, it does mimic natural labour more than the oxytocin. (And that's from personal experience with both.)

I wish you the best of luck. Post back and let us know how things progress.

Noreen

Hi Ella,
    I was 10 days over. I was hoping to last until I went myself but my blood pressure was high and they thought the fluid levels had dropped so I was kept in at my +10 check-up. The following morning I had the gels applied at around 11am (very uninvasive, a bit like inserting a tampon). I went about my business for the rest of the day - watched tv, bounced on the ball, went for a long waddle around the grounds of the hospital, all hoping to kick things off but nothing seemed to be happening. Around 4pm I was put on the monitor and the nurse sent me off to the labour ward as she wasn't happy with the machine ad wanted me put on a newer one on the labour ward. I was there about 20 mins when I got one almighty contraction and my waters went. My son was born 4 hours later :-)

I had really hoped for as natural a birth as possible and was dreading being induced. If I could, I'd do it all again exactly the same way next time. The contractions came every 2 minutes from the start, never got any more painful than that first one, and after 2 hours I was ready to start pushing. At one point I started asking for the epi as I thought it would get more and more painful, but the midwife and my other half talked me out of it and I'm so glad they did, because it didn't get any worse and once I got over the fear I was able to relax and managed fine. Once I started pushing (which gives a weird sensation of relief) the gas and air were more than enough and I'm sure it would have been a much longer process had I taken the epi. And he wasn't a tiny baby - 9lbs 6 - I think having all my faculties helped get him out.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the idea of induction - it's actually grand. Ask for gels to kick you off and if they don't work get at least 2 more doses at 12hr intervals (if appropriate in your circumstances). The gels mimic natural labour much more closely - the oxytocin drip is said to give very intense contractions and ARM (artificial rupture of the membranes) can put you up against the clock in terms of how long you'll be allowed to labour for.

I had no restrictions on what I could eat or drink, but what with the poo issue and the nausea from the gas (it fades after 10 mins) and all I had no appetite. I strongly recommend that raspberry lucozade sport though - yummy!

Good luck, hope it kicks off soon for you!

Hi Bogtotty,

thanks a mill for your reply.. it made me feel a bit more relaxed about nduction.. i obviously still hope I wont need it though. I am due today.. nothing so far happened.. well I had about 3 hours of some kind of contractions.. they were comming every 8 mins or so but then they just faded away so I guess it was a false alarm...
    If I dont go tonite tomorrow will be my first overdue day so I guess i still have a bit of time before I should really worry about induction..
    Thanks again I will keep you posted :)

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I would suggest that going into labour naturally is the best idea, where possible.

Sometimes a drip, or Gel is necessary, for various reasons. And that's fine. They are both very effective and safe procedures. The reason I would suggest waiting to go into labour naturally is that your cervix softens naturally before giving birth, making labour easier. It's why very premature labours tend to be more painful.
    If induction is necessary, I'd recommend the Gel, it does mimic natural labour more than the oxytocin. (And that's from personal experience with both.)

I wish you the best of luck. Post back and let us know how things progress.

Noreen

Thanks for that Noreen.
    I obviously hope I will go into labour naturaly but you never know.. I was due today so I guess I will go overdue but hope not for long...
    I will let you know if any news :)

TI was due today so I guess I will go overdue but hope not for long...
    I will let you know if any news :)

Ooooh I'm getting all excited for you Elle! It's making me all broody again! Best of best of luck - get the raspberry leaf tea into you, have a hot bath with clary sage in it, eat a hot curry, have some hot sex...baby'll be here in no time!

Ooooh I'm getting all excited for you Elle! It's making me all broody again! Best of best of luck - get the raspberry leaf tea into you, have a hot bath with clary sage in it, eat a hot curry, have some hot sex...baby'll be here in no time!

Thanks a mill... Ahhhh.. I done it all.. and still sitting here I am afraid :o

Thanks a mill... Ahhhh.. I done it all.. and still sitting here I am afraid :o

Anything stirring yet?

Anything stirring yet?

Hi CCL,

I am afraid nothing...spent the whole day in the hosp today they thought they will have to induce me but in the end they did not and am back at home again.. posted the story on the ''Overdue'' thread...
    Maybe you can let me know what you think? :confused:

What I think is that the baby will come when its good and ready! You can't hurry nature :) I know how you feel tho, I went 8 days overdue and tried every old wives tale/trick in the book and nothing worked, just good old fashioned patience!

He or she will be worth the wait, I can promise you that :D

I know.. I know.. I know.. i guess i just never even thought I could go over and then it happened..something you are not ready for at all..
    Anyhow I feel really relaxed about things now.. I have another appointment in the hosp on Wed if nothing happens before that so will see what they say then :-)
    I am actulally coming to terms with the idea of have to get the gels to start things off .. the only thing is I would love to be able to go home after they give the gel to me as it could be another couple of hours in the comfort of your own home before things kick off.. anyone knows this is possible?

• Advertisement

Once you've had the gel you've to stay in the hospital I'm afraid :( You'll be free to roam the hospital and eat and drink as you wish tho.

I was full sure that we were going to have Megan a week early. I had told my grandma that she'd be coming for her birthday! Every day overdue felt like a week! I was happy when I got to 7 days overdue and I knew that it would be my last weekend without a baby! It was maybe that relaxation that brought things on... Either that or me stressing about the Xmas Decorations still being up and taking them all down!

Advertisement