Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gambling sites= negative credit rating?

Options
  • 27-03-2010 8:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    just wondering if you can give me some info regarding deposits into betfair/paddy power from your current account /credit card.
    ive heard that banks are now using this as criteria to disqualify you from getting a mortgage etc
    ive heard that even if you RECEIVE a credit in to your account from an online bookmaker ie winnings etc, this still is considered a negative transaction.

is there any truth to this
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/pricewatch/2009/03/04/online-gamblers-should-not-bet-on-securing-a-mortgage/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 JohnWhale

Sounds possible. And reasonable really. The vast majority of gamblers lose more money than they win.

Luckily, I pay into my Betfair account through PayPal so the bank won't know where my money is going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

JohnWhale wrote: »
    Sounds possible. And reasonable really. The vast majority of gamblers lose more money than they win.

Luckily, I pay into my Betfair account through PayPal so the bank won't know where my money is going.
    is it discriminatory though?
    if person A has a constant income and has the odd flutter(like myself every saturday) and person B has the same income but drinks it all on a friday/ saturday night they have a better rating because they just withdrew it in cash.
    once you pay your bills on time and have a steady income it is a bit harsh too tar people with a negative rating because of their hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Shamo

I can't see them putting some black marks down for something like 20quid every week if you have steady income. Maybe if it was a much higher amount they might.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

It wont affect your credit rating but when an underwriter is assessing the application he will have to take it into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Jet Black wrote: »
    It wont affect your credit rating but when an underwriter is assessing the application he will have to take it into consideration.

Jet Black is spot on. It would certainly be something for a person processing any application to think twice about.

Certainly if your looking for loans etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement