Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mongol Rally 2010

Options
  • 27-03-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, some advice needed.

Having recently completed the road trip to Porto the travel bug has bitten. Have been offered the opportunity for a place in this years Mongol Rally. For anyone who doesn't know its a 'rally' from London to Mongolia in aid of the Christina Noble Childrens Charity. Hopefully going to raise some well deserved funds for St Vincent de Paul too.
    The rally leaves on the 24th July, and all the preperation and organisation has to be done. The rules of the rally states the car has to be preferably a 1.0l, maximum 1.2l, under 10 years old. Need the car asap in order to kick start the fundraising campaign so the budget is extremely limited €700-800. Looking at Puntos, Secientos, Micras, 106s etc. I owned a Micra a number of years ago and it was bullet proof. Nippy enough wee thing too.

Anyone have any reccomendations as to a suitable car, willing to consider all options as long as it meets the criteria? The car and all equiptment is to be donated to charity upon arrival in Mongolia. Would it be possible to secure sponsorship of a vehicle from any of the major car companys. Has anyone any experience in doing so?

Has anyone on here ever done the rally? For anyone who is intested the website is as follows: http://mongolrally.theadventurists.com/

Thanks lads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

My old man has a Fiesta. Seems to be very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Why not try some main dealers, they probably have old stock gathering dust and might jump at the chance to move on an old car for some advertising. If you do approach any try and get some spares thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

I did the rally last year.

Got a VW Polo Estate (2000) off a dealer for free. Almost everything else was sponsored. But you would still need to factor in around £3000 per person (were four in my team).

Trip of a lifetime though.

FYI: our website: http://mongolrally09.theadventurists.com/index.php?mode=teamwebsites&name=vagabonds

Also, I am organising the Irish launch for the Adventurists this year. Same as last year, but we hope for more cars, will also be an official launch this year.

Launch is in Dublin (high profile location again Mansion House or CHQ) drive through city and off to ferry. 2 days before Goodwood launch. Last year the Dublin launch was on Thursday, with Goodwood on Saturday.

PM for details.

Advertisement