Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monk

Options
  • 27-03-2010 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Anyone else watch this.
    I wouldn't call myself a fan as such but it's very watchable.
    Love the central theme- a guy who's a brilliant detective despite and because of his neurosis.
    Tony Shalhoub is great- very underrated.
    Not sure who's cooler- him or Columbo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

tech77 wrote: »
    Not sure who's cooler- him or Columbo.

Columbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Ya. Columbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've been meaning to get into 'Monk'.

The DVD boxset of seasons 1 - 6 regularly drops to the €25 - €30 mark at Zavvi so might pick it up next time it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Monk is awesome... Just finished the whole series there a few weeks ago... Absolutely fantastic show...
    It's a tough call between Monk and Columbo... Not sure if I could decide... They're both legendary...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Columbo FTW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I stopped watching it when Sharona got replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

deadhead13 wrote: »
    I stopped watching it when Sharona got replaced.

Natalie was better than Sharona...

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

Oh Monk wins over creepy Columbo every time. Watched it for the first time in ages today, he's fab!

Columbo looks like he belongs in a bush somewhere, waiting for unsuspecting females to walk by :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

LavaLamp wrote: »
    Oh Monk wins over creepy Columbo every time. Watched it for the first time in ages today, he's fab!

Columbo looks like he belongs in a bush somewhere, waiting for unsuspecting females to walk by :eek:

Part of what makes him great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Is it really up there with Columbo?

I watch a lot of Law & Order on Hallmark and Monk is one show on the channel that I'll refuse to watch! I won't even give it a chance just don't like the look of it. I'm a bit like that.

Food for thought.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yeah I'e watched all the episodes and there is an end (which was quite nicely done). There's a good mix of characters and Monk's OCD is generally fun. At times, in the later years, the mysteries got a bit dumb but I never stopped liking it.
    Natalie was better than Sharona...
    Agreed. They had very different approaches to dealing with Monk but I always felt Natalie was more genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Brilliant show, I'd rate it with Columbo but it would need to be longer (90 mins), good bit of comedy in there too.

Natalie's lovely lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

My favourite episode of Monk is the one where he'd given a square tomato. And for the rest of the episode he's just so happy that he'll be able to make a perfectly square sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

Monk is brilliant and really funny aswell. i like watching it whenever i can Tony Shaloub is a great actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

I love this show.

The serial killer from Silence of the Lambs is the wise father figure.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It was weird to see Ted Levine (who plays Stottleyemer - great character) as a kinda psycho prison warden in "Shutter Island". Looks very different without the facial hair and talking about the use of violence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

basquille wrote: »
    I've been meaning to get into 'Monk'.

The DVD boxset of seasons 1 - 6 regularly drops to the €25 - €30 mark at Zavvi so might pick it up next time it does.

Seriously? Wow must keep an eye out for that so

Monk is a great show

Funny and clever and with great performances from the whole cast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Morgans

Fun, but have wondered how OCD sufferers feel about it.

Good viewing but the mysteries tailed off toward the end. Some very good light fun. Find it far more watchable than any of the CSIs. Also, natalie immensly more likeable than Sharona.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Seriously? Wow must keep an eye out for that so
    Yep.. cheapest right now is still the damn excellent price of £29.99 at Amazon (about €35 with shipping): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monk-Seasons-1-6-Tony-Shalhoub/dp/B001F7A4RQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1269955125&sr=8-1

Though it has been cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Columbo followed by Monk there on saturday. It was a good afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Love this show. Stumbled across it once while channel flicking and have been a fan since. Don't care for Columbo at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is coming back

Mr. Monk’s Last Case: A Monk Movie will release Dec. 8, 2023, TVLine has confirmed. The 90-minute movie finds Monk (Tony Shalhoub) returning to solve one final, very personal case involving his beloved stepdaughter Molly, a journalist preparing for her wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) turned down the leading role before it was given to Shalhoub. What could've been.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I really cannot see anyone but Tony Shalhoub as Monk, perfect casting imho

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

The movie was good

Plot was lame

Advertisement