Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long after agitation can u spread slurry?

Options
  • 27-03-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Dad just bought a new slurry tanker wit the intent of putting out ur own slurry!:) We would get the contractor to agitate it and just say if he agitates it today how many days do i have to spread it before it will need to be agitated again?? Its just that if der was a nights v heavy rain you wud make sh1t* of de field if u went on it wit the tractor and tanker and it cud take a few days to dry it again!

Just on a seperate issue cant wait to use it!!:D Hav ye got any tips for me as i have never spread slurry before!?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

probably around a week, depends on the type of slurry, watery thick, or ever high meal feeding

tips, make sure the back door is closed properly before unblocking the splash plate, you will only forget once.:D
    a pair of marigolds or the likes is always handy to have in the tractor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

what make is it and how big

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

iano93 wrote: »
    Dad just bought a new slurry tanker wit the intent of putting out ur own slurry!:) We would get the contractor to agitate it and just say if he agitates it today how many days do i have to spread it before it will need to be agitated again?? Its just that if der was a nights v heavy rain you wud make sh1t* of de field if u went on it wit the tractor and tanker and it cud take a few days to dry it again!

Just on a seperate issue cant wait to use it!!:D Hav ye got any tips for me as i have never spread slurry before!?:)

i wouldnt like to wait any longer than three days at most

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

very much depends on the consistency of the slurry. if you want to fully empty tank you to keep it mixed.

as regards spreading ,keep moving at all times no stopping ,no sharp turns,

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

what make is it and how big
    Major 1100gallon:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Also, if spreading on a hill, spread downhill and try not to turn up the hill if possible, turn down the hill.

Most of all, drive into the wind.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

pakalasa wrote: »

Most of all, drive into the wind.:D

i learned that lesson the hard way when i was about 15 or so.
    spreading a big open field in a tractor with no back window, a big gust of wind came up behind me, and blew the slurry in on top of me, about a foot in the cab, just flowed out when i opened the doors. to make it worst i had to drive about a mile up the fields to the yard.
    when i arrived at the house to wash the mother sent me back down the yard to be power hosed off, before going near the house
    as you can imagine at that age i told no one, the slagging i could have been landed with

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

about 3 days at most we do anyway , drive into wind definitaly, relieve preasure from pump and close valve before messinge with splash plate,and release preasure at pump before opening valve for pipe .

when u get covered in **** once or twice ul lean what to do and what not to do ha .

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Bolt a bar onto the end of your pipe so it sticks out a few inches or cut a 6" notch out of it. This prevents to pipe from sticking to the bottom of the tank when filling.
    If you have a 1000 rpm option on you tractor use it to fill. Its not really always practical when spreading because if you are spreading up hill or on soft ground you might need to put the boot down a bit. In 1000 rpm option this mightn't be great for the pump.
    As with all regular PTO shafts always drive in a straight line when the PTO is running.
    If you finished with the tanker for a long period of time its no harm to half fill it with water and drive around with it for a few minutes to clean off most of the slurry from the insides then empty it. Slurry is absolutely leathal for causing rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

scudster wrote: »
    Bolt a bar onto the end of your pipe so it sticks out a few inches or cut a 6" notch out of it. This prevents to pipe from sticking to the bottom of the tank when filling.
    If you have a 1000 rpm option on you tractor use it to fill. Its not really always practical when spreading because if you are spreading up hill or on soft ground you might need to put the boot down a bit. In 1000 rpm option this mightn't be great for the pump.
    As with all regular PTO shafts always drive in a straight line when the PTO is running.
    If you finished with the tanker for a long period of time its no harm to half fill it with water and drive around with it for a few minutes to clean off most of the slurry from the insides then empty it. Slurry is absolutely leathal for causing rust.

does rust not need air to form .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭denis086

once a crust starts to form on it again we give it a quick mix again
    tips for spreading have a wiper and washer on the backwindow because the vapour when you finish a load always ends up building up on the back window even after spreading against the wind because usually you have to turn and go with the wind to get to the gap have a set of gloves in the cab and a few tools to open and lift the splash plate and clear it out and when your finished for the day if theres a high volume water hose around just rinse off the back of the tank save the paint ;)
    we have our own hispec pump and abbey slurry stirrer pump is only used for slatted tanks because the stirrer wont go down the manholes if you have mostly open tanks buy a second had stirrer get a set of seals and bearings and replace the propellor if its badly worn we use a 165 on it and you mix a open tank with slurry from a cubicle house with nearly 300 animals all winter in about 30mins all from one access point tried with a pump from 3 corners mixing for about 3 hours still wasnt able to clear the slurry from the corners so its worth checking out a stirrer if it suit your set up i think the new rossmore ones can fit into manholes

Advertisement