Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinematography: 1 year course in Ballyfermot

Options
  • 27-03-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was just enquiring as to if anyone here has done this course and if they could please tell me a little about what the course itself is like, how they found it, and what the workload is like.

I'd appreciate any feedback. :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

It's a course I'd recommend if you already have a bit of experience with film making.
    The lecturers are fairly hands off so it probably wouldn't serve as a good intro to film making. I didn't learn a huge amount from the classes.
    Keep in mind the cinematography students only shoot on 16mm film, no digital.

The workload is reasonable. This year we had to do one individual film and there were 2 group films. Don't have many classes.

If you're really interested there are plenty of opportunities to work on classmates films. I've been part of the crew on at least 10 so far this year.

If you want to make films in your own time the college has a lot of equipment they'll let you take out. The technicians there are really sound.

The 2 year film course is supposed to be a lot, lot better according to those who've done both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

RichyX wrote: »
    It's a course I'd recommend if you already have a bit of experience with film making.
    The lecturers are fairly hands off so it probably wouldn't serve as a good intro to film making. I didn't learn a huge amount from the classes.
    Keep in mind the cinematography students only shoot on 16mm film, no digital.

The workload is reasonable. This year we had to do one individual film and there were 2 group films. Don't have many classes.

If you're really interested there are plenty of opportunities to work on classmates films. I've been part of the crew on at least 10 so far this year.

If you want to make films in your own time the college has a lot of equipment they'll let you take out. The technicians there are really sound.

The 2 year film course is supposed to be a lot, lot better according to those who've done both.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Hi.

I'm just curious. What sort of portfolio are they looking for?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

Hi.

I'm just curious. What sort of portfolio are they looking for?

Thanks

Here ye go - http://applications.bcfe.ie/course-IFC-Cinematography.html

I brought in 15-20 photos and a showreel of my films from the last 2 years.
    There were several people on the course this year who probably fairly limited experience of photography or film, but having something for the interview will be of benefit to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Thanks lads.

Oh RichyX, Since you are doing the course, Does it involve a lot of hearing? I am partially Deaf so it would be great if it didn't bother that much.

Thanks lads.

Oh RichyX, Since you are doing the course, Does it involve a lot of hearing? I am partially Deaf so it would be great if it didn't bother that much.

Hmm, hard question to answer.

The classes aren't very lecture heavy. Photography literally has one "lecture" at the start of the year. After that it's up to you to take photos and develop them in the darkroom.

The classes generally aren't great for paper handouts, but I'd say the lecturers would be happy to facilitate for someone with hearing difficulties.

Advertisement