Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tracking a northern reg gar

Options
  • 27-03-2010 5:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys bit of info

I was assaulted by 3 guys this morning in a northern/British BMW 5 series.

Now guards came took all the details said they would send a car to try follow it. One of my mates spotted it 20 mins after but nothing since then.

Have the guards any power to get these ppl. Car door is also pushed in.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭enviro

The Gardai would inform the PSNI, who would deal with it from their side if it gets to the North that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

And would I have to press the issue to get that to happen? If it was a northern reg cud it be reg down here to an address

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

was there any reason behind the alleged assault ?

you could also phone the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) in Nordy land and see if they can give you details of the car owner - its possible that the car was stolen prior to alleged assault.

Hi pc it was complete roadrage. Was performing a u turn perfectly legal indicators etc they flew up behind me 3 of them jumped out and started laying digs in through the window while I still had belt on

1 of them took my car keys from car central locking came off then my door was opened and I got laid into.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

blahblah06 wrote: »
    And would I have to press the issue to get that to happen? If it was a northern reg cud it be reg down here to an address
    If the car has NI plates then (assuming they're not false) it has to be registered to a UK address. Sorry to hear about that, hope they get caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why would you have your window down in the situation where 3 thugs are approaching your car?

mickdw wrote: »
    Why would you have your window down in the situation where 3 thugs are approaching your car?
    Come on, it's not the kind of thing most people would be expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Anan1 wrote: »
    Come on, it's not the kind of thing most people would be expecting.

IMO, Window down is foolish at any time in areas such as city with slow moving traffic etc. Alot of dangerous f*uckers around.

(Just trying to tease out also whether the OP had maybe had some words with the bmw drivers out his window in the moments before this incident)

IMO, Window down is foolish at any time in areas such as city with slow moving traffic etc. Alot of dangerous f*uckers around.
    It's hard not to agree after a story like this, but at the same time you have to enjoy your life too. There's a fine line between sensible precautions and paranoia.
    (Just trying to tease out also whether the OP had maybe had some words with the bmw drivers out his window in the moments before this incident)
    I don't really want the thread to turn into an online trial, let's just stick to the OP's question about whether the car is traceable.:)

Because it was a hot night ain't windows supposed to be rolled down? This happened split second there was only the space of a car door opening between me and him as he pulled up beside me.I don't think I should be the one been questioned ha

seriously though I did attempt to roll the window up but it came back down wen his arm
    came though the gap. Pretty silly argument saying don't keep ur window down. Sure if we lived like that we would always live in fear

Thanks mod just looking for the answer not to be questioned

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    If the car has NI plates then (assuming they're not false) it has to be registered to a UK address. Sorry to hear about that, hope they get caught.

Ye I'm hoping it was reg. By the sounds of things it can be traced with some effort so just a waiting game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I can't see how a UK reg car could be registered to someone down here?
    What sort of accents did they have?
    What were the first few characters of the reg?

TBH the Gardaí can contact the PSNI about it but it's highly unlilely anything will be done about it.
    Even if it happened down South it's their word against yours and there's three of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

well what you can do to see if the plates are real just type the reg into carcheck.ie or something similar and see if it matches the car. its free to show you what type of car it is.

hope it gets sorted for ya!

I can't see how a UK reg car could be registered to someone down here?
    What sort of accents did they have?
    What were the first few characters of the reg?

TBH the Gardaí can contact the PSNI about it but it's highly unlilely anything will be done about it.
    Even if it happened down South it's their word against yours and there's three of them.

I've actually 7 witnesses to wat happened. Car reg started with n.

There has to be something done about it ppl can't just come to another country n do what they did and just get away with it. There's damage to my car and myself. I've been told to get in touch with the insurance beraue as another option

brembo26 wrote: »
    well what you can do to see if the plates are real just type the reg into carcheck.ie or something similar and see if it matches the car. its free to show you what type of car it is.

hope it gets sorted for ya!

hi brembo I did that thanks reg is defo real well matches the cart anyway ty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

OP, this car wouldn't happen to have been silver/gray ?

I had an incident myself near Stillorgan with something similar..

Yes sv it was. When was this mate can u pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

In case you're unsure if it's an NI or GB reg, NI registrations are all in the form "AXX 1234" (three letters, 1-4 numbers), and the "XX" part will include a Z or I and will tell you what county it was registered in (see here). GB reg's are "XX 51 ABC" or before 2001 "A 123 AXX".

oh so it was a gb reg even worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This car is no more difficult to track than any other. It had a registered owner but may have moved on to someone who is not properly registered, in which case the Gardai will just have to look out for it.

• Advertisement

and if its not found is it just tough look or is that what these are for

http://www.mibi.ie/index.php?id=foreign-vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

and if its not found is it just tough look or is that what these are for

http://www.mibi.ie/index.php?id=foreign-vehicles

Your original post spoke of an assault, not an accident. The MIBI are designed to help out with uninsured drivers who collide with you, not people who vandalise your car.

ye thats what I was thinking they damaged the car with there bodies not with my car so wanted to make sure I knew what my next step was and by the sounds of it its just wait and see

Advertisement