Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to apply for cancellation? And Bad habits...

Options
  • 27-03-2010 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Lately I feel I have improved immense loads since I got my own car. If you remember the "plateau" I was talking about a couple of weeks ago that I had reached with my instructor, I seemed to have gotten over that.

I feel its basically cuz I have been driving so much more nowdays than I ever did before. Drove again around 90 odd miles today and I was very smooth most of the time. Had a couple of close calls again. One was where I was turning left onto a road and this guy on a scooter came blitzing through the lights across the road and almost into the side of my car. I moved left just in time and avoided that collision.
    The other was when I was turning right onto a cross roads when the lights went amber just as I turned onto the middle of the cross roads and probably went red too and there was this guy charging straight for me from the other side. I had to quickly accelerate across the crossing onto the road I was turning into and just avoided what would have been a really nasty collision!
    That guy could clearly see me turning in the middle of a junction and he made absolutely no attempt at stopping or slowing down, he was going straight for it! And was doing atleast 50kmph. This one really quite scared all of us in the car!!

But apart from that I was very smooth today. I've been getting very confident too and I can drive faster on the national roads (at 100kmph) with more control on the car.

But then I have noticed I have been developing some bad habits as well.
    Like firstly I haven't been doing that "push-pull" steering thing as much anymore and have been finding myself steering more and more with just one hand. It just feels more natural to me and I feel more in control of the car as I always have good grip on the steering and how much the car turns depends on how much I move my hand. Though I do need to get back into the proper steering habit if I wanna pass my test!!

Another one is I have been going through a lot of roundabouts in 3rd gear instead of 2nd. Now I can put half the blame of this on my Ford Puma which has short gear ratios so you change from 2nd to 3rd really fast in it. And the other part cuz when I see the roundabout it clear, I don't slow down enough to change to 2nd as if I would, the people behind me, seeing my "L" plate start getting agitated and all that...

Apart from this I think I've been doing fine. Though maybe I still need to improve on my observation a little bit more and get rid of the bad habits I'm developing!

And finally I wanted to know how would you apply for the cancellation?
    I called up the RSA number and didn't really get anywhere. I can't find any option on the driving test website either where I can select for a cancellation... So anyone know how I could get that? I'ld really like to get done with the test and have my full license soon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭erwinvr101

the fact that you are aware of how you drive and the mistakes while driving is good for you. developing bad habits for me are the ones that we don't know we're doing until someone or something happens remind us to drive correctly. so don't worry about when you take your test. besides, the push-pull technique could only be a minor fault, but i'm sure you will revert back to the correct technique when you do your test

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's no requirement to do 'push-pull' steering for the test, but do try have both hands on the wheel as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Towards the end of the online application form you'll see an area to click for availability...this is where you can choose what days or dates you can or can't do the test on..the cancellation part is here...there is a little box to tick if you are available.
    The push/pull isn't a requirement in the test but definitely have two hands on the wheel at all times. And they will mark you for going round the roundabout in 3rd but it'll be easy enough getting back into these habits before the test.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

Another one is I have been going through a lot of roundabouts in 3rd gear instead of 2nd. Now I can put half the blame of this on my Ford Puma which has short gear ratios so you change from 2nd to 3rd really fast in it. And the other part cuz when I see the roundabout it clear, I don't slow down enough to change to 2nd as if I would, the people behind me, seeing my "L" plate start getting agitated and all that...

Feck the people behind you, don't worry about whether they're getting agitated or not - drive correctly and safely and don't rush yourself. Try not to get into the habit of doing roundabouts in third gear, particularly before the test.

P.S. I drove a hundred miles today on my own and it was so much fun! It still hasn't really sunk in that I've passed. You'll be there soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

greenie wrote: »
    Towards the end of the online application form you'll see an area to click for availability...this is where you can choose what days or dates you can or can't do the test on..the cancellation part is here...there is a little box to tick if you are available.

Yep this is what i did about 2 weeks ago and I got a phone call today asking me if I wanted to do my test next week. I said no and so they offered a slot for the week after next which gives me more time to practice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

greenie wrote: »

I have already applied to the test so I can't get to that page again...
    I'll try calling them tomorrow again and see if I can get to speak to someone...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When I applied, that availability page gave a 404 error.
    I just used the reference number and emailed them dates I wasn't available.
    Mind you, I haven't heard anything back, though the money has been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Good stuff, sounds like you're going well.
    But then I have noticed I have been developing some bad habits as well.
    Like firstly I haven't been doing that "push-pull" steering thing as much anymore and have been finding myself steering more and more with just one hand. It just feels more natural to me and I feel more in control of the car as I always have good grip on the steering and how much the car turns depends on how much I move my hand. Though I do need to get back into the proper steering habit if I wanna pass my test!!
    Pull-push doesn't matter at parking/3 pt turn speeds, and you shouldn't be penalized for hand over hand. At higher speeds it is important to keep two hands on the wheel as much as possible. It's an easy habit to develop, and a hard one to break - there's no negative reinforcement until the day an emergency arises.
    Nothing wrong with 3rd in a roundabout, providing the gear is appropriate to your speed, and your speed is appropriate to the road. Remember: on approach, you are planning to stop but prepared to go, never the other way around. Oh, and never cut the corner - stick to your lane.

As to the few minor incidents yesterday, don't let them affect your confidence. That being said, there is always something to be learned from these experiences, even when you are 100% faultless. Your anticipation and planning can help prevent others from causing accidents.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

Yep this is what i did about 2 weeks ago and I got a phone call today asking me if I wanted to do my test next week. I said no and so they offered a slot for the week after next which gives me more time to practice :)

Best of luck Al...can I call you that?!!:D

Advertisement