Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ford focus trouble...please help

Options
  • 27-03-2010 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

how do...bout 2 weeks i bought a 05 focus 1.4 zetec,77000km on the clock,NCT`d,car was perfect...i bought it from a reputable dealer in nenagh..after a week of driving the car started to misfire,the engine warning light would come on and the car would cut out...i rang the dealer,they took the car and fixed it,saying the coil pack was fecked so they replaced it with a new pack...now the car is starting to misfire again,the engine warning light ISNT coming on,the car doesnt cut out but it chuggs along as if it about to break down at any time...any mechanics out there have an idea on what the problem could be:confused:...thanks lads:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'm no mechanic but have had similar trouble but the spark plugs were the culprits. It's an easy job that should take 30 minutes depending on if they are welded on so to speak.

Coils is very common on them, may or may not be plugs, I installed new plugs on a car I was soon selling a few years back and it started chugging a week after putting them in, replaced them with a good brand and she was perfect. The garage seem like reputable folk, bring the car in again and tell them what has happened, ring them first though as a missfiring car can damage the cat, there may well be excess unburnt fuel about. Ring them, tell them the story and they should tell you to drive it in to them, I would'nt drive about in it any further without ringing them :)

They're more than likely open today I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

i'd say its water around the top of the plugs, water gets in there through the washer jets, pull off all the leads and spray wd40 in each of them

have a look in the holes and if ya see a lot of brownish coloured gunk thats the problem, take out the jets and put some sealant under them

guil wrote: »
    i'd say its water around the top of the plugs, water gets in there through the washer jets, pull off all the leads and spray wd40 in each of them

have a look in the holes and if ya see a lot of brownish coloured gunk thats the problem, take out the jets and put some sealant under them

Thats a design flaw on the focus alright. As advised bring back to garage for them to have a look.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Also check the connection to the crankshaft sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

Hal1 wrote: »
    Thats a design flaw on the focus alright. As advised bring back to garage for them to have a look.
    same with the boot, mine is on the second lock and 2nd or 3rd switch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

guil wrote: »

Theres two frost plugs down in the cylinder head beside the plugs. These are also known to leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GearoidOM

i just had a look under the bonnet and the washer lines are directly over the sparkplugs but no leaking...i pulled out all the sparkplugs and no1 and no2 are soaked with water,i looked inside and also saw water in the block,would it have something to do with the water temp sensor or the frost sensor....im living in cork and bought the car in tipp but the dealer knows a mechanic in cork so hes going to take a look at it and then bill the dealer for it...

It will need to be inspected by a mechanic, as there is a few possible causes already mentioned in the thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement