Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the toughest/most memorable boss you have come up against?

Options
  • 27-03-2010 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

We've all been there, one life left, no continues, energy nearly gone ............ and the fight is on. Who or what is the toughest and/or most memorable boss you have had to face in the world of retro gaming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Metal Sonic in sonic 2.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Yeah I was hopeless against Silver Sonic as a kid. Seems like childs play if you go back and do it now though.

My vote goes for the boss ship at the end of Silpheed if anyone remembers that. More from personal experience than anything else, that was seriously balls to the wall when I played it.

Honorable mention:
    Mother Brain dino thing in super metroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,593 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mother Brain was easy enough! :p I found Ridley at the start harder.

I think some of the bosses in the Revenge of Shinobi were a bit of a pain. More so if you ran out of Shurikens.

There was one boss in Alisa Dragoon who always got me, he was a big swooping fire breathing Pterodactyl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Hmmm. Let me think. The end boss of Quake took awhile to beat. The only other boss I can think of right now were a couple in Red Dead Revolver and the final level of Secret Weapons Over Normandy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Sgt.pepper

damn misty in pokemon red! i always picked charmander but she kept on pwning me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

The butcher in Psychonauts, so god dam hard.....

Little fecker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Never got to the end of it myself but I do know that once you beat the final boss in Super ghouls and ghosts you need to play the game again from scratch to get the ending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,929 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This is a really tough one for me. If I had to pick one boss it would have to be the R-type homage boss in the first level of Radiant Silvergun. Awesome boss that still gives me trouble.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Mother Brain was easy enough! :p I found Ridley at the start harder.

If I remember correct you can't beat Ridley at the start, one way or the other the fight only ends once your health is down to 20.
    Androgynous%20-%20Ridley-620x.jpg
    Though now that you mention it the second encounter with Ridley was really tough. Think I managed to get to the top left corner of the room and camp there...

superidley-300x261.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Augmerson wrote: »
    Hmmm. Let me think. The end boss of Quake took awhile to beat. The only other boss I can think of right now were a couple in Red Dead Revolver and the final level of Secret Weapons Over Normandy.

Found the final boss in Quake a cake walk for some reason, also walked through Red Dead Revolver (great great game) and SWON, well that was superb but not that hard, I got the Tie Fighter and X-Wing so I could kill Nazi scum as Rebel scum, which is nice!

But the boss that really grinds my gears is the end boss in Metroid Prime, he with some 3 different forms, all hard as nails too! It's Ridley as well I think, albeit in 3D-alised form, the cheap bugger!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Found the final boss in Quake a cake walk for some reason, also walked through Red Dead Revolver (great great game) and SWON, well that was superb but not that hard, I got the Tie Fighter and X-Wing so I could kill Nazi scum as Rebel scum, which is nice!

But the boss that really grinds my gears is the end boss in Metroid Prime, he with some 3 different forms, all hard as nails too! It's Ridley as well I think, albeit in 3D-alised form, the cheap bugger!

Cant remember the Metroid Prime very well from the first game (I have the Japanese version, it was all a bit confusing to me) , but I think the one from Corruption was pretty straight forward, a 3d version of the dino thing.

Didn't you just need to teleport into the quake boss to defeat it?..
    Fighting other guys along the way?
    Or maybe you need to teleport rockets to it or something.

I thought the Doom2 boss was much harder. Everyone says they beat Doom 2 but considering how hard that boss is and everyone knew the cheats, I'm going to be anal and assume they're full of it.
    I'm a pretty massive game geek and I only recall beating it twice (without cheats) when I was a kid.

Also, you mentioned an x-wing, I'll happily add X-Wing to my list of hardest games to beat.
    At the end of the game I remember that if you turn the graphical details to low you have way less stuff to avoid at the Death-Star trench making the "boss" of that game way easier but still hard.

O1s1n voted for Shinobi bosses, I'd like to add the first two Ninja Gaiden's (Shadow Warriors) on the NES to that.
    The bosses, like every other aspect of the game....Console-smashingly hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Yeah the metroid prime boss was a fairly annoying. The final boss of castlevania: dawn of sorrow was a memorable boss from recent years, mainly for being a pain in the ass on my first attempt before figuring how to beat him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Did you try it on Nightmare? (Quake)

The bitch about Red Dead Revolver for me was getting to the final guy on the rooftop, if you fail there you have to go back to the start of the fight and that was frustrating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,929 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It still wasn't much of a boss. It was basically a level and then you just teleport at the right time. Total anticlimax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Quake 1 final boss?
    This one?

That was easy, someone mentioned the arcade shinobi bosses, i remember battering the buttons for jump and shoot, muscle spasms for the Mandara boss.

Would have been easier if i knew this

Where were you internet for my childhood ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

eddhorse wrote: »
    Quake 1 final boss?
    This one?

That was easy, someone mentioned the arcade shinobi bosses, i remember battering the buttons for jump and shoot, muscle spasms for the Mandara boss.

Would have been easier if i knew this

Where were you internet for my childhood ???
    Yeah could definitely be a button masher if you didnt do that.Loved that game could get 20k bonus on most levels for not firing and only using hand to hand weapons.Not so good at it nowadays though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Sigma's 2nd form in Megaman X1 was probably the hardest boss I've ever faced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

The last boss in the Revenge of Shinobi. The dude with mad hair flying at ya. it took me ages to beat him.

Advertisement