Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I find out what blood type I am?

Options
  • 26-03-2010 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

Is it as simple as contacting any hospital or doctor who's ever taken blood from me and asking them what's on their file?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

Become a regular blood donor. Your blood would not have been grouped for standard blood tests through your doctor unless specifically requested.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That would be an ecumenical a medical issue
    or perhaps a freedom of information issue.

The nicest way would be to donate a pint.
    And it's free
    Actually they give you chocolate bars and bags of crisps
    *me gets excitable because will be getting those freebies myself next week*

While it's rightly forbidden to donate to get health checked I'm sure they wouldn't mind if telling what kind of blood you donated, if they don't tell you there and then it will be printed on the card they post out to you.

BTW
    I did one of those self tests in college and it while it got the ABO group right it gave the wrong Rhesus result

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

If you donate blood you'll get a card with your blood type on it AND priority on blood in the event of a shortage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Donating blood isn't an option for various reasons.

The question was more out of curiosity than anything else. Something so simple yet I don't know what blood type I am.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I donated blood in college awhile ago and didn't find out

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I donated blood in college awhile ago and didn't find out

Your a "ScienceNerd" you should know :p

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

You can buy self-test kits for not all that much. They're really only for personal curiosity; if you ever needed to know your blood type for medical reasons, you'd be tested then.

I had a blood type test years ago for a medical. I got an A+, which I take to be the best. :pac:

I would give blood, only I'm considered to be riddled with BSE and Thatcherism, and a menace to the public health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

If you donate blood you'll get a card with your blood type on it AND priority on blood in the event of a shortage.
    do u really? link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Before I ever donated blood (from which you will be issued a card that will have your blood type on it) I went to my GP and requested that a blood sample be taken. I needed this for medical reasons. He obliged and I got the results back within a week. You could probably use one of those self test kits. I do not know if they are as reliable as getting them tested by your doctor/hospital lab. Just make an appointment with your GP and tell him basically what is in your first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

You can go to your GP and they'll take a sample (a surprisingly large sample, I had been expecting a pin prick on my finger!), you'll get it back in a couple of weeks.

Mind, there are many, many better things to spend your money on...

• Advertisement

Also this seems very unfair as alot of people can't give blood through no fault of theire own

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

adamski8 wrote: »
    Also this seems very unfair as alot of people can't give blood through no fault of theire own

I can confirm this happens adamski8, I'm a donor... and it's not like they force you or give out to you if you can't make a donation..

wayhey wrote: »
    I can confirm this happens adamski8, I'm a donor... and it's not like they force you or give out to you if you can't make a donation..
    I dont see what the above has to do with what im talking about really, i know they dont force people and i know its the opposite really, if they dont feel you can give blood eg. if your taking antibiotics, travelled to a malaria region recently etc etc they won't let you give blood! (anyway i wasn't talking about that)

Anyway my point is that there are many reasons a person can't give blood ever even if they would like to!
    I think its very unfair if donors are given preference over these people
    A donation should not come with conditions that the donor get a benefit.
    Doesn't sound ethical to me at all.

Btw how do you know this is true?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

adamski8 wrote: »
    if they dont feel you can give blood eg. if your taking antibiotics, travelled to a malaria region recently
    one year for visiting a malaria area

Anyway my point is that there are many reasons a person can't give blood ever even if they would like to!
    I think its very unfair if donors are given preference over these people
    A donation should not come with conditions that the donor get a benefit.
    Doesn't sound ethical to me at all.

Btw how do you know this is true?
    rules change, for a long time I could not give blood, now I can.

IIRC it wasn't that you got preference for blood but that you got it free so lower bills later on

Maybe they could have a pyramid scheme where if you can convince more people to donate you go up the ladder

one year for visiting a malaria area

rules change, for a long time I could not give blood, now I can.

IIRC it wasn't that you got preference for blood but that you got it free so lower bills later on

Maybe they could have a pyramid scheme where if you can convince more people to donate you go up the ladder

ok i probably shouldn't have given the malaria example but that was to illustrate a different point!
    How about this:
    You should never give blood if:
    You have ever had syphilis, HTVL (Human T - lymphotorpic virus), hepatitis B or C or think you may have hepatitis now
    You're a man who's had sex with another man, even safe sex using a condom.
    You've ever worked as a prostitute.
    You've ever injected yourself with drugs - even once.

Its fundamentality a bad idea that the more you give(or give at all) leads to you benefitting in some way. This has the possiblilty that people will lie about things such as previously injecting drugs to give blood etc etc.

I still only hear very flimsy antidotal evidence about this blood preference scheme.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

There is solely an altruistic (and free food) benefit to donating blood. No preference for donors.

As mentioned, giving blood is the best way to find out because you will benefit others.

If you want to know your group, you will have to request it from your gp. It's not a test that is done normally when bloods are sent in. It's generally only done for potential/actual reciept of blood units, donors, ante-natal screening, and high risk sports like rally driving.

There's no actual medical benefit to knowing your type if you're not pregnant or likely to receive blood. So your doctor may not be willing to send in such a sample.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thanks guys.

Advertisement