Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Banville - The Infinities

Options
  • 26-03-2010 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Just finished The Infinities and doing a review of it for the local paper, not that anybody's going to read it or anything.

I enjoyed it to a certain extent, but Banville's prose still frustrates me - his emphasis on the language and overall poetry of the writing takes precedence over the plot, it often seems. But there is a message, at least I thought there was.
    It centres so much around the death of the head of the household, but Banville is trying to find the life within that death - he shows the living part of dying, the dying man's thoughts etc...

Anybody read it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I am someone who really gets a kick out of Banville's writing, obviously like most for his use of language.

I loved Kepler and it will always be one of my favourite books ever but sadly The Infinities was in a way just not even penetrable even though I had such a will to read it. He literally lost the plot on this book from a reader's perspective. It was pretentious and who knows but that this was always going to happen with his follow up book after writing The Sea.

He did say that a tree is the most erotic thing on earth.. and it's only now that I can understand this. He does ask a lot- and he asked too much in The Infinities.

Advertisement