Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

difference between notepad and notepad 2

Options
  • 26-03-2010 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

hi i came across notepad 2 and was looking for some info on it, should i download it and use it instead of notepad. what is the difference, is it better, or is there something better out there that i'm missing out on.

your help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭randombar

Do you mean notepad++?

If so much better than notepad, syntax highlighing etc. etc. download it and have a go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Gman_Ireland

thanks GaryCocs, will give it a try then.

any other hints or tip from any.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

I when using XP used to love Notepad2. From memory it had syntax highlighting in the mould of np++ but would open file as single like np i.e. none of the tabbed files. Afaik it is available on OpenDisk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Ignore previous, Notepad2 is just awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Trojan wrote: »
    Ignore previous, Notepad2 is just awesome!

I never said it wasnt :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Gman_Ireland

Thanks guys, just downloaded it look good, any quick guide tips on using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

nellyshark wrote: »
    I never said it wasnt :confused:

I was joking, and I was referring to the Notepad++ comment above yours :)

--

This is the version of Notepad2 that I use:

http://code.kliu.org/misc/notepad2/

It's got a nicer installer, just replaces system notepad.exe with zero hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Thanks guys, just downloaded it look good, any quick guide tips on using it.

The main advantage of Notepad2 is syntax highlighting for source code. It will colour the text depending on what file type is opened. Or you can manually set the syntax highlighting by hitting F12 (or View > Syntax Scheme)

Apart from the syntax highlighting it's just a basic text editor really. You can zoom to magnify the text using the magnifying icons and it has more advanced search and replace facilities than Notepad.

You can view Whitespace characters View > Show Whitespace and View > Show Line Endings.

You can revert to the last saved version of the file by going to File > Revert.

Advertisement