Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router for wireless what would you recommend?

Options
  • 26-03-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get a new Router for my house, it is a bungalow with really bad wirelss reception at the best of times.

I currently have Eircom 7mb broadband and they have just given me a Zyxel router which has the worst wireless signal ever.

I use the net for general WIRELESS internet browsing, streaming and WIRELESS online gaming with my Wireless N enabled xbox.

I also share the house so some times whilst I am gaming my house mate is streaming to her lap top causing my connection to slow down.

I am deciding between these routers.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kcp.aspx?sku=446746&sku=350214&sku=492607&sku=364934

Any idea which one would be the best for my situation?

I like the idea of my xbox having its own 5ghz band in the house and leaving her to the 2.5ghz for her streaming so I'm thinking defo dual band.

Thanks in advance.

Jay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you are gaming on line and streaming on line then it's contention on your internet connection that's slowing you down.

Your internet connection is 7mbs (at best).

If you are using wireless g then that is running at 54mbs just under 8 times faster then your internet. Contention on the wireless part of the network couldn't slow down your connection to the internet unless you were running multiple streams between devices on your internal network.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

j14 wrote: »
    I am looking to get a new Router for my house, it is a bungalow with really bad wirelss reception at the best of times.

I currently have Eircom 7mb broadband and they have just given me a Zyxel router which has the worst wireless signal ever.

I use the net for general WIRELESS internet browsing, streaming and WIRELESS online gaming with my Wireless N enabled xbox.

I also share the house so some times whilst I am gaming my house mate is streaming to her lap top causing my connection to slow down.

I am deciding between these routers.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kcp.aspx?sku=446746&sku=350214&sku=492607&sku=364934

Any idea which one would be the best for my situation?

I like the idea of my xbox having its own 5ghz band in the house and leaving her to the 2.5ghz for her streaming so I'm thinking defo dual band.

Thanks in advance.

Jay.
    The third one in, would be the best for the money.
    It's the one I'm considering buying at the moment.

The thing is though, if you only have a 7Mb connection and thats all the wireless will be used for (ie you're not transferring files and the like around a home network) would you really get any benefit from paying that much for a router?

For instance the main benefit of those routers is dual band wireless.
    Using it they can hit maybe 60+ Mb/s which is great for transferring files wirelessly, but you wont notice any of that as your broadband is only 7Mb/s.

So you have to consider whether the extra cost is warranted for something you wont use.

Also you need to have a dualband dongle, or wireless card too.
    Wireless N rated adapters are often only 2.4GHz so you might want to check whether the Xbox and your laptop/desktop are even capable of using the 5GHz abilities of the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭j14

The Xbox can support 5ghz as I bought a Wireless N adapter for it, it can defo handle 2.5ghz and 5ghz so I was going to use the 5ghz for the xbox only and leave the PC and Laptop on the 2.5ghz band.

I also have one of these http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=433642 knocking around (an impulse buy from ibood last year and was wondering if I could use it to connect my PC to the network i.e. use it as a dongle.

As you can tell i'm kinda guessing my way through things here.

Thanks for the replies they are much appreciated.

Jason

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

j14 wrote: »
    The Xbox can support 5ghz as I bought a Wireless N adapter for it, it can defo handle 2.5ghz and 5ghz so I was going to use the 5ghz for the xbox only and leave the PC and Laptop on the 2.5ghz band.

I also have one of these http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=433642 knocking around (an impulse buy from ibood last year and was wondering if I could use it to connect my PC to the network i.e. use it as a dongle.

As you can tell i'm kinda guessing my way through things here.

Thanks for the replies they are much appreciated.

Jason
    In that case then, as you have an adapter.
    I'd say go for it. The third one is quite nice.

It has Gigabit, 2.4Ghz/5Ghz, has the ability to work in either band or both and can set up multiple wireless networks. Great if you want to keep the laptop and Xbox seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭j14

I've just done a bit more reading on the Netgear and according to reviews the 5ghz on the Netgear is a bit rubbish.

Would the D link 855 be able to connect to the Netgear Access Point that I already have or would I have to buy the netgear router to connect Netgear to Netgear?

God my brain hurts!

• Advertisement
Advertisement