Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hachi: A Dog's Story

Options
  • 26-03-2010 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Watched this last night and I have to say it was one of the most emotional movie experiences I've had in a very long time.

I didn't have a whole lot of time for Marley & Me because I found it quite predictable and the cries came from the obvious place.
    Dog dying...yes very sad I will admit, but a little too easy

This film is based on a true story and there was a lump in my throat for the whole final act...seriously, I never really got the whole lump in throat feeling before but it was there for a good 20 minutes and at times I thought I might have to leave the room.

You'll think to yourself that I'm just being a wuss...but you really need to experience this for yourself before you can comment.

The story of a dog's love and loyalty for his master couldn't be told any better.

10/10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I agree. I was inconsolable during and and for some time afterwards! I really don't know if I would be able to watch it again for a good while, it was just so incredibly sad and beautiful at the same time. Perhaps it was the true story thing that got to me too - although Marley was real too, and I was upset by it, it hadn't a patch on Hachiko.

Truly the saddest film I've ever seen..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I was going to take my kids to see this - but if its worse than Marley and Me I think I will pass as when we came out of the cinema I couldn't believe I had paid for me and my children to become that upset!!.. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I've had it sitting here waiting to watch...but i knew it was a real weepy, not sure if i can bring myself to watch it :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

trustno1 wrote: »
    I couldn't believe I had paid for me and my children to become that upset!!.. :pac:

Ya it's so upsetting.. I read the last few chapter's of Marley and Me in O'Mahony's Bookshop in Limerick and I was actually crying it was embarrassing... Suppose I was thinking of when my own pooch has to go to that big kennel in the sky.........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watched this last weekend.. fantastic!

I said in the 'What have you been watching?' thread that it's much more authentic than 'Marley & Me'.
    What made it more upsetting is the entire final act of 20 - 25 minutes, you can't help but be moved and saddened. It's not just a quick flash-in-the-pan moment of sadness.. it's prolonged and it grows ever more upsetting!

Can't recommend it enough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

The book for Marley & Me made me cry. The movie, not so much.. they really ruined it by using the cast they did. Unfortunate, but what can you do.

Looking forward to seeing Hachiko, albeit I'm not too pushed on Gere..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Gere is great in it. Very understated. But the dog stole the show

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I must admit i was fairly emotional watching this film. A superb acting performance from the adult dog. Why oh why wasn't this dog up for best actor award at the Oscars:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

You are all pansies.....

I do remember being on a transatlantic flight and a good few people chose to watch Marley and Me and I honestly thought that the plane was taking on water, we were going to sink!

But we're not talking about Marley and me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Wow people were not joking when they said it was upsetting :o

But I enjoyed it more than Marley & Me

But even though the end is really sad it's heartwarming as well...

/Regains Man Stance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

I found it too be much better then Marley & Me too.

I found that it was the music that made it more sad imo.

Couldn't believe that it was a true story when i found out.

9/10 from me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Heartbreaking film. As someone has already said, the last 20 minutes or so just compounds the sadness.

You just don't finish this film dry eyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Is it is as good as that Futurama episode?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Best. Episode. Ever.

I'm not sure about thsi film. I dont think any film poster has ever put me off as much as this one. Makes it look like some seriously cheesy man and his dog movie. Having read a bit about it, and knowing the story of the original Hachikō, i'd say its pretty decent though. Might give this a watch at some stage.

mle1324 wrote: »
    I found it too be much better then Marley & Me too.

I found that it was the music that made it more sad imo.

Couldn't believe that it was a true story when i found out.

9/10 from me :)

PM me for a link to the soundtrack. I've been listening to it constantly...it's beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

How can anyone feel anything except moved to tears
    for the poor dog that was treated so badly by the family of its owner after he died.

The wife wants nothing more to do with the dog.

His kids after a short interlude set him loose to fend for himself.

I am sorry, but all I took from this movie was "Man's inhumanity to man's best friend". It's a disgrace! :mad:

This movie reminded me of a woman who lived down the road from me when I was a kid and when she moved just left her cats behind to fend for themselves. Once subsequently disappeared, another got hit by a car and my family took in the third.

I urge you all who have seen the movie to look again at it with fresh eyes and for those of you who have not, take your fiver and donate it to an animal rescue center... it would be much better spent! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

I cried, couldn't help myself, my OH thought there was something wrong with me, very few films deal with loyalty and loss so well IMO, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Hmm... I suppose I must give it a watch.
    Bubs101 wrote: »

That was an awesome episode.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I can't bring myself to watch it!!!!!....it's too much for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Marley and Me hit me a lot harder than Hachi did. Thought overall Hachi was better but Marley and Me is definitely sadder.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

THFC wrote: »
    Marley and Me hit me a lot harder than Hachi did. Thought overall Hachi was better but Marley and Me is definitely sadder.

Hachi was way better and this is coming from a guy that hates Richard Gere movies.If I owned a dog like Marley he'd have gone for a walk in the woods with me,my shotgun and a shovel.Don't know how people got teary eyed over that movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

zerks wrote: »
    Hachi was way better and this is coming from a guy that hates Richard Gere movies.If I owned a dog like Marley he'd have gone for a walk in the woods with me,my shotgun and a shovel.Don't know how people got teary eyed over that movie.

Same here i dont like many of his films,but im going to watch this tonight see what happens :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Just finished watching it,and its not a bad film,yes it is sad and i was surprised
    i thought the dog was going to die not the owner
    ,i havent seen marley and me so i cant compare the two,but all in all its worth a watch,and thats coming from a single man im sure if i watched it with a woman my view would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but watched this the other night and it still is on my mind, I get upset just thinking about it and last night before sleeping I just felt this empty sadness thinking of it ... :(

Advertisement