Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord being very difficult

Options
  • 26-03-2010 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Hello, I truly have a difficult landlord and I was wondering if anyone here can help me.

I am renting an apartment for my son (13 mth) and myself, it is a 2 bedroom and it is €1100 a month which was due to be paid on the 2nd of every month. I got a letter off my landlord in January asking that I move the date of payment forward to the 25th of the month, if that makes sense, move it forward approx one week.

So I sent a letter back saying that I would do what my landlord requested if she would reduce my rent by €75 a month down to €1025 a month as is just above the norm around here for apartments I found out (I asked a few of my neighbours what they were paying). I sent this in the middle of the month and when I heard nothing back by the 25th of the month and I heard nothing back from the landlord. I was talked to the land agent I deal with on the 25th and she said to put in the €1025 on that day. So I did, on the 2nd the landlord called the land agent and demanded the other €75. The land agent contacted me and said to send another letter to the landlord.

In that letter I stated that because of the landlords lack of communication I went and paid €200 on the date she requested as I felt it was fair to both parties. I also stated that if she had a problem with the reduction of the rent thn to inform me so I could give notice as I had found other apartments, in this complex for between €900 and €1000. I have waited another full month and still no responce, I texted the land agent again this morning and she said just pay in 1025 again (which I did yesterday) and if the landlord says anything, ignore her as she has done me.

Since I moved into the apartment ( a mere 5 months ago, I have had problems with the toilet, the heating and now the washing machine) The land agent was very swift to organise someone to fix these (although i am without a washing machine until next thursday :() and she said to pay for all repairs out of the rent and lodge the balance into the landlords account on the next date. but my landlord thinks it is my problem and I should pay them, along with my rent, gas, esb, eircom, vodafone, etc. No offence but I am not on big money, I cannot afford any more bills than I have, my shopping is not too bad, bout 70 a week but I never have much savings and all it takes is one big bill to wipe them out any time!!!!!

Is there anything I can do, or is she in the right?

Any and all replies welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Who exactly is this "land agent" person?

Is she a representative of the Management Company?

The Auctioneer/Letting Agent you took the property off?

It is slightly unusual to be dealing with a Letting Agent AND a landlord...it's usually one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Your post is very difficult to follow.

Is the land agent looking after the property on behalf of the landlord? Why are they going against the landlord's wishes, the landlord surely pays them to look after the property :confused:

I just cant understand an agent telling you to pay less when a landlord isn't agreeing to this, it sounds extremely dodgy.

I'd pay the full rent which was agreed with the landlord unless the landlord specifically says that you can have a rent reduction. They'll bring you to the prtb and you'll owe a lot of backrent.

Things break, it happens, sounds like they're being dealt with swiftly though.

If you've found somewhere else to live that's cheaper then check your lease and give the proper notice along with a legitimate notice of termination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

ok well firstly you cant jsut reduce the rent you pay without it in writing.

secondly they cannot change the rent due data thats in your contract withotu that being in writing.

Until the agent or landlord provide a new lease with the ammendments you should be continuing to pay your full rent on the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 willbee

D3PO wrote: »
    ok well firstly you cant jsut reduce the rent you pay without it in writing.

secondly they cannot change the rent due data thats in your contract withotu that being in writing.

Until the agent or landlord provide a new lease with the ammendments you should be continuing to pay your full rent on the 2nd.

Agree with all of this. Everything MUST be in writing or you have no comeback.
    Secondly, the Rental agreement is the exactly that!!!
    I assume ye have an agreement drawn up between ye which ye have both signed and each of you have a copy of?? Any deviation from it must be in writing. I am astounded at the approach the agent has advised you to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Sorry I should have made that more clear. Any and all contact between my landlord and myself takes place through the land agent. From what i can gather she is hired by my landlord to deal with all her properties that are let.

I would love to be able to discuss things with my landlord but she refuses to answer my letters!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You have had problems with the toilet, the heating and now the washing machine, the landlord pays to fix them, not you.

You never said as far as i can see, do you have or have had a lease on the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

you mean a tenancy agreement, yes I do. That is why I was shocked that she requested the change of payment date by a piece of handwritten paper, so I sent my request by handwriting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

In a nutshell D3PO is right.

Also stop listening to the land agent.

You cannot reduce the rent without a written agreement.
    Pay the full rent on the orignal specified date in the agreement.
    Don't pay landlords bills from your rent unless you have a written request to do so.
    Stick by your guns on the payment date unless you receive the reduction.
    Then move out at your next oppurtunity without breaking the lease becuase it sounds like an expensive hassle rental situation.

Advertisement