Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dietetics. . Career prospects??

Options
  • 25-03-2010 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi

Ive graduated with a degree in bioscience but always my main interest in this course was biochem, food science, nutrition. . i have been working in the pharmaceutical sector now for 3 years and gained prety good experience. .

After working 1 year in industry I decided to go for a postgrad in dieteics and try and get into that field. . i encountered a prob though. . I never did physiology as part of my course so all british and irish colleges rejected my applications. . Just as a last gasp attempt last year i applied to a few colleges in Oz and NZ and i got excepted to Melbourne , course starting in feb 2011! tuition fee is 18000eur!! (ive paid a portion of this!)

Now ive been offered a new permanent job in a biotech company, with definite prospects to move up along etc. .

And my question is, does anybody have some good info on dietetics career in terms of likelyhood on securing a job (in or outside of ireland!) ?

Id love to work in community or sports dietetics and willing to work very hard to achieve this but again I dont want to be naive and if the opportunities are genuinely not there is there much point in spending alot of money peruing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

Ok so I don't have a huge amount of insight but I actually have a cousin who studied dietetics and is working in Australia at the minute. Speaking to her, she spoke extremely highly of the qualification and said job opportunities are very good as you can work all over the place. She also said that quality of life and salary resulting from the job were excellent and personally I think any extra qualification bettering yourself is a good thing. You should probably think long about this as this is just the experience of someone I know and may not apply to you. Hope that helped in some way- I realize it was all quite general but yeah god luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Snedge

Thx IveSeenFire. . Its great to hear that its worked out well for your cousin, it can potentially be a hugely rewarding career! Ive got another 6 months anyway to make up my mind, before which i can cancel my course place. .

Like Alot of choices these days especially with career there's good deal of risk involved, i supose the only thing that bothers me is if i can actually get my initial experience after completing the course, ya know. . get the foot in the door. . that can often be the trickest thing after a course and because dietetics maybe over subscribed and a lot of the jobs are in the public sector it may be difficult. .

Advertisement