Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Trinity lost its way?

Options
  • 25-03-2010 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

In the past Trinity used to be a bastion of tradition and would only teach the most rigorous and rarefied of subjects, recognising the academic needs of the brightest young minds of the country. Nowadays there's all kind of outrage out there at 'Mickey Mouse' courses such as Golf Course Management where students can go out and get a degree in something that really should be a vocational course or something learnt on the job.

As a traditionalist I have a lot of sympathy for this approach, after all universities and academic courses are better for some things while vocational schools, apprenticeships and polytechnics are better for others. The thing is, no one seems to be willing to take a proper look at Trinity itself, perhaps assuming that its old buildings somehow shield it from the onrushing plague of modernity.

The university's limited resources and places are being taken up by ridiculous courses such as 'Computer Sciences', 'Oriental Studies', 'Human Sciences' and 'Experimental Psychology'. Just looking at the names of these courses tells you how ridiculous they are, it's well known that courses which have to put 'sciences' or 'studies' in the title are academically lacking.

I propose that the university should return to its roots and offer only the study of Classics, Theology and Philosophy. These provide firm intellectual roots for intelligent individuals to go on to be gentlemen (and women - some aspects of modernity are positive!) of leisure. Other subjects should be left to the toilers of this world, base in intellect but useful in their actions.

The other arts subjects are mere fripperies designed to excite the withered intellects of the chattering classes after a long day in middle management. History for example, what point does it have beyond titillation?

The sciences', medicine's and engineering's proper places are in technical schools and apprenticeships. While they are vital to the smooth running of our country, to claim that they involve any intellectual capacity requires a stunning level of ignorance. Like being a government bureaucrat, the scientist is given a task performs that task and then reports observations. It requires only a steady hand and keen eye.

Languages can of course be learnt by going to the relevant country, I see no reason why places for philosophy students should be lost in favour of linguists.

I'll concede that mathematics might have a place within the university.

To conclude, I propose that those subjects inappropriate to Trinity's nature, as outlined above, be moved to UCD or DCU which as more modern universities are undoubtedly more suited in those areas and can provide better for those types of students.

Comments

It was at least original on After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I don't know anything about expermintal psycology but how can you describe computer science as mickey mouse?

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

ibtl.

Troll thread, he's been banned from the UCD forum and he tried this in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

Extremely obvious troll. You have just joined boards and are already trying to rock the boat and stir up a bit of controversy.

Good luck getting a job with your Classics degree btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Science is so base in intellect requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

must.not.feed.troll! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Oh well, at least he acknowledged the necessity of maths. I can live with that.

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Reyno wrote: »
    The university's limited resources and places are being taken up by ridiculous courses such as 'Computer Sciences', 'Oriental Studies',
    You are sh*tting me?

Firstly 'Oriental Studies' has been a bastion of Oxbridge colleges since the 19th century.

Secondly, Trinity has been running one of the most respected Computer Science BSc courses since the early 1970.

Thirdly, you sound like a disgruntled BESS first-year student to me, expected something akin to Bridehead Revisted, did we?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Cool story, bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Biggest load of ****e I've read in a long time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Firstly 'Oriental Studies' has been a bastion of Oxbridge colleges since the 19th century.

But that's really far away? I'm trying to live in my own little world here, jeez.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The other arts subjects are mere fripperies designed to excite the withered intellects of the chattering classes after a long day in middle management. History for example, what point does it have beyond titillation?

And you mention classics only a few sentances before??? At least my trolling goes after the SU and the societies, not the foundation of human reason itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Denerick wrote: »
    And you mention classics only a few sentances before??? At least my trolling goes after the SU and the societies, not the foundation of human reason itself.

HAHAHHAHA

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

ibtl.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement