Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID Problem

Options
  • 25-03-2010 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi,

I went to set up a bank account recently but they said my passport photo wasn't clear enough. As i'm only 17 i don't have a driver's license or any other form of ID. I'm just wondering whats the easiest ID to get that the bank will accept?

Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

:confused: I don't understand how your passport photo wasn't clear? I've never heard of that as a reason. If you are only 17 you are still a minor, so check and see will the bank accept a parent's ID. At 17 you can get a provisional driver's licence, but you'd have to sit your theory test first. Also I'd check with another bank and see will they accept your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

If its an older passport it probably looks nothing like you do now. That might be why the did not accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Asha

Hi OP

There is another option for you. Banks are required to accept a form called a ML10. This requirement is there to facilitate people who don't hold a passport or D/L.
    You get the form in any Garda station who will stamp it for you & they will probably accept your passport to identify you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

Sorry for not making it clear guys. I'm fairly sure they accepted the ID but the problem is that they need a picture of me for their records or something and when they photocopied my passport photo it was too dark..

Provisional driver's license would be the best thing to get I think.. Any other suggestions?

Could they not just have changed the photocopier setting so the picture is lighter?

You can do what toots* suggested.

Or asha. Get two passport sized photos go to a garda station with these and your passport. The garda will stamp and sign a form and the back of the photos. This should be accepted.

You have to sit a theory test before you can get a provisional licence. So by the time you get the appointment do the test fill in the forms send them off it will be over a month.

The two other suggestions will only take 1 day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

SD7792 wrote: »
    Sorry for not making it clear guys. I'm fairly sure they accepted the ID but the problem is that they need a picture of me for their records or something and when they photocopied my passport photo it was too dark..

Provisional driver's license would be the best thing to get I think.. Any other suggestions?

How about using a scanner, lightening the image and then printing it out.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Bank wouldn't have a scanner, also they'll probably only accept a copy they make themselves, although it might be worth a try.

That's a shocking excuse for not opening an account, go back and ask for someone who knows how to use a photocopier!!!! Actually I'd say take your business elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Asha wrote: »
    Hi OP

There is another option for you. Banks are required to accept a form called a ML10. This requirement is there to facilitate people who don't hold a passport or D/L.

Some Guards are very reluctant to sign ML10's.

OP get a Garda ID. Simple and you will need it at some stage in your life.

Toots* wrote: »
    Bank wouldn't have a scanner, also they'll probably only accept a copy they make themselves, although it might be worth a try.

Not the one we know anyhow :D

stepbar wrote: »
    Some Guards are very reluctant to sign ML10's.

OP get a Garda ID. Simple and you will need it at some stage in your life.

I think they only issue them to people over 18

• Advertisement

Toots* wrote: »
    I think they only issue them to people over 18

ML10's?

Garda ID's are definatly issued to folk under 18.

From the garda website
    Must be 18 years of age or over at the time of application

Jet Black wrote: »
    From the garda website

Well it must have been different when I got one because I had one before I went to college. I only turned 18 that August.

Yeah, they've changed them to 'Garda Age Card' now. They're pretty handy for young adults going out, if you lose it it's fairly cheap to replace and not like the hassle you'll have if you go out and lose your passport or driving licence.

Advertisement