Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduction to Social Research/The Economy of Ireland

Options
  • 25-03-2010 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

Ok Basically I am just looking for peoples' experience of doing either of these courses.

I don't know which one I want to do at the moment so I'm wondering if you enjoyed the module and how much Statistics/Maths is involved in both??
    Where the Lecturers/lectures good/interesting?
    What was the workload like etc.?

I have read the course descriptions and module outlines and am still stuck. So I'm just looking for your experience and any advice you may have.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭charmer

Hey man! I'm just finishing up both of these modules..

I'm gonna say first off that I personally preferred Economy of Ireland. Little to no maths/stats, the first half of the course was mainly the economic history of Ireland, found it really interesting, very few graphs or any of that crap. I didn't do economics in school and hated it in first year but loved this course. Prof. John O'Hagan is the loveliest little man, ya just wanna hug him! :pac: Gives good notes and explains them really well, only downfall is he's a bit of a mumbler so ya might need to sit toward the front of the class. Also we've already had two exams in it (in reading weeks unfortunately!) which count for 45% of the whole year so it takes a bit of the pressure off for summer. We only had a couple of tutorials over the year aswell, just geared toward the exams. I didn't find the workload to be too serious, all the notes are from one main book that the lecturer edited so when it comes to revision it's pretty handy. Exam answers are essay style, not the usual economics crap, and a lot of it is common sense, if you just think about it for a bit the answers kinda come to you..

Now on to the dreaded Intro to Social Research... First half of the course was taught by Daniel Faas, ya probably had him in first year (looks like Ross from Friends). It's all quantitative stuff, how to conduct interviews, surveys, etc. I found it really boring and barely ever went to class.. There is a bit of maths/stats crap involved but nothing too intense. At the end of it we had a test during a lecture and had to do a group project which were both grand tbh. The big plus with that is that half of the course is over and done with then, it's not in the summer exam. Second half of the year is qualitative methods, much more interesting, lecturer is nice, readings are interesting and easy to understand, just a couple of ethnographies. Lectures on ethics when conducting research, how to immerse yourself in the field, etc. Found it much easier to bare than the first half of the year. Also have to mention the TA Marianna is really lovely, and we only had tutorials every second week.

Wow I just gave quite the review there... :rolleyes:
    Anyway hope it helps, peace out mo' fo'! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

charmer wrote: »
    Hey man! I'm just finishing up both of these modules..

I'm gonna say first off that I personally preferred Economy of Ireland. Little to no maths/stats, the first half of the course was mainly the economic history of Ireland, found it really interesting, very few graphs or any of that crap. I didn't do economics in school and hated it in first year but loved this course. Prof. John O'Hagan is the loveliest little man, ya just wanna hug him! :pac: Gives good notes and explains them really well, only downfall is he's a bit of a mumbler so ya might need to sit toward the front of the class. Also we've already had two exams in it (in reading weeks unfortunately!) which count for 45% of the whole year so it takes a bit of the pressure off for summer. We only had a couple of tutorials over the year aswell, just geared toward the exams. I didn't find the workload to be too serious, all the notes are from one main book that the lecturer edited so when it comes to revision it's pretty handy. Exam answers are essay style, not the usual economics crap, and a lot of it is common sense, if you just think about it for a bit the answers kinda come to you..

Now on to the dreaded Intro to Social Research... First half of the course was taught by Daniel Faas, ya probably had him in first year (looks like Ross from Friends). It's all quantitative stuff, how to conduct interviews, surveys, etc. I found it really boring and barely ever went to class.. There is a bit of maths/stats crap involved but nothing too intense. At the end of it we had a test during a lecture and had to do a group project which were both grand tbh. The big plus with that is that half of the course is over and done with then, it's not in the summer exam. Second half of the year is qualitative methods, much more interesting, lecturer is nice, readings are interesting and easy to understand, just a couple of ethnographies. Lectures on ethics when conducting research, how to immerse yourself in the field, etc. Found it much easier to bare than the first half of the year. Also have to mention the TA Marianna is really lovely, and we only had tutorials every second week.

Wow I just gave quite the review there... :rolleyes:
    Anyway hope it helps, peace out mo' fo'! :P

Ok thanks very much. I was beginning to think no-one would reply!

But sero that was real helpful. I'll probably do Economy of Ireland. I was just worried that there would be a lot of Maths and graphs and the fact that there is not is a big plus. Also that you have 45% of the grade is great too! The fact that the lecturer is good is also great to know as I do Economic Policy and the Macro lec is pretty crap tbh! I was hoping that it would be relatively straightforward aswell as I'm interested in Economics but not Maths based economics more the theory side which seems to be the main in this module.

Thanks again mate for the great detail!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Ok thanks very much. I was beginning to think no-one would reply!

But sero that was real helpful. I'll probably do Economy of Ireland. I was just worried that there would be a lot of Maths and graphs and the fact that there is not is a big plus. Also that you have 45% of the grade is great too! The fact that the lecturer is good is also great to know as I do Economic Policy and the Macro lec is pretty crap tbh! I was hoping that it would be relatively straightforward aswell as I'm interested in Economics but not Maths based economics more the theory side which seems to be the main in this module.

Thanks again mate for the great detail!!!
    Mathematics and economic theory are not disjointed subjects. If you want to keep going with economics, best to hit the maths as early as possible ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I do Social Research too, and charmer's account is really accurate. Also, I'm now going to be on the lookout in lectures, seeing who looks like a boardsie.

If you want to be a coward and pick a fairly easy subject then go with Social Research.

Glad I could be of assistance DanDan!

Walsho- ya'll never spot me :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I'll be on the lookout too Walsho. You can't escape Charmer.

Mathematics and economic theory are not disjointed subjects. If you want to keep going with economics, best to hit the maths as early as possible ;).

Ye ye i know but in TCD I do Economic policy which is not as Maths based as Introduction to Economics is (which is the economics module BESS students do, I'm BSL). So, from Charmer's post, it seems that there is not THAT much maths in Economy of ireland module.

Thanks for the heads up tho. I'll keep my maths book from this year, as much as I hate the thing:pac::);)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Ye ye i know but in TCD I do Economic policy which is not as Maths based as Introduction to Economics is (which is the economics module BESS students do, I'm BSL). So, from Charmer's post, it seems that there is not THAT much maths in Economy of ireland module.
    First year courses are a bad indication. Economic policy is the opposite side of the spectrum to economic theory. Economic theory, by fourth year, is maths.

Frick, my secret identitys gonna be exposed.. :eek:
    Hmmm this could be a fun game haha, when ya think yav spotted me send a PM and i'll confirm or deny!

First year courses are a bad indication. Economic policy is the opposite side of the spectrum to economic theory. Economic theory, by fourth year, is maths.

Ok but I dont do any economics course in 4th year so it doesn't really matter. It is all business plus my two language modules.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

To be clear, there is no maths in Economy of Ireland.
    Hmmm this could be a fun game haha, when ya think yav spotted me send a PM and i'll confirm or deny!

I'm just gonna assume you look like your avatar and work from there!

You've got to give us some sort of clue.

Here's a clue as to how I'll be looking:
    Black-Balaclava.gif
    hammer.jpg

The Walsho wrote: »
    You've got to give us some sort of clue.

Nah, that'd make it too easy.

I've done a little stalking already.

Hey charmer, how's Soc Soc Pol going for you? Still smoking the fags are you?

Nice work Walsho. Narrows it down nicely. I give it 3 days max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 howard..

I'll watch from afar as this develops. *Imagines Walsho jumping up and pointing across the room*

The only problem here lads is that I don't do Economics, and you don't do Social Research. We need to be in both lectures to spot whoever does both subjects. Then we should really have cut it down.

Then we follow her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

walsho, charmer, andrew. exams looming. been to 3 social research lectures all year. cramming time.
    what does one study?

thank you

The only problem here lads is that I don't do Economics, and you don't do Social Research. We need to be in both lectures to spot whoever does both subjects. Then we should really have cut it down.

Then we follow her home.

hahaha...best highjacked thread ever

almost the most pervy but eh cant have it all:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

Hi guyz, my name is conor and I do 2nd year bess. just want to give a little warning.

I posted on boards agez ago saying how trilled I was to be doing bess, and next thing i know walsho and andrew were all over me like a rash. they found and hacked my facebook, twitter, and even my bebo :(
    I told the boards mods but they didnt care :(

next ting I know i turn up to college to find them sitting constantly behind me in lectures, looking like :cool::mad:;);) all crazy and ****
    and I'm all like :eek: and :(:(

treat them with the utmost cauton, charmerbro. if not, u'll have to transfer to engineering to get away from these creeps, like me :(

• Advertisement

Hi guyz, my name is conor and I do 2nd year bess. just want to give a little warning.

I posted on boards agez ago saying how trilled I was to be doing bess, and next thing i know walsho and andrew were all over me like a rash. they found and hacked my facebook, twitter, and even my bebo :(

next ting I know i turn up to college to find them sitting constantly behind me in lectures, looking like :cool::mad:;);) all crazy and ****

treat them with the utmost cauton, charmerbro. if not, u'll have to transfer to engineering to get away from these creeps, like me :(

That's it, you're in for the biggest wedgie of your life the next time I see you. And you had better have the lunch money this time. Or else.

You're gonna regret that one son.
    :mad:
    <|>
    /\

You're gonna regret that one son.
    :mad:
    <|>
    /\

Nailer: I'm going to teabag you till you choke.
    :)
    <|>
    /ώ\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 howard..

I'll continue to watch from afar as this develops... Best of luck Charmer, Nailer.

@Andrew: no surprise you used a full stop for your manhood.

Get out of here Howie. You're not a boardsie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bruff

This will only end in tears. Salty, salty tears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭d93c2inhxfok4y

ive said too much :(
    here we go again :(:(

cowering.jpg

This page is class. All the lads together on boards.

looking like :cool::mad:;);) all crazy and ****
    I lol'd! :cool::mad:;);)
    I've done a little stalking already.

Hey charmer, how's Soc Soc Pol going for you? Still smoking the fags are you?
    Well aren't you the quick one Walsho.. Indeed I am still smoking and the course is goin great thanks :)
    Thought I should return the stalkage.. must say ur quite photogenic..
    I would :P
    Then we follow her home.
    Or not?:(

• Advertisement

@Quirkster... to be ****ed if I know! Hold on i'll check my notes from the other day.. but I better get a thanks for this :P
    Well we're only being examined on this half of the course(qualitative) so Anne Holohan's notes(webct) and then theres 3 main ethnographies - Street Corner Society, Saints Scholars and Schizophrenics aaaaaannnd.. dunno what the other one is?! But she said focus on them to use them as examples when answering the exams qs. Read the chapters from them listed in the reading list.
    crap she mentioned to focus on: discourse/conversation/context analysis, difference between quantitative and qualitative philosophical theory, research techniques, practical difference the internet makes in research, etc..
    theres ya goes!

Advertisement