Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i entitiled to receive backdated payment from time I was able to claim

Options
  • 25-03-2010 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

Just wondering if any of ye have any idea am I entitiled to receive backdated payment from time I was able to make a claim or from time I went in to make it.
    I was in college but had to drop out for family reasons. I did this at the end of November, I had a job all this time aswell so money to keep me going but got reduced to working just 1 or 2 days then..but since I was living at home I was able to survive on it. I didnt sign onto job seekers benefit because someone told me I had to be 3 months out of education first.
    When the 3 months was up I went in to sign on for jba the beginning of the month and week ago was rang asked why I didnt do so when I left. I explained the reason and she asked me to send in letter from college saying I had dropped out which I have done and am waiting on news now.
    My question is I am i entitiled to receive back pay from when i left college and was unaware I could have actually signed on or will it be from time I went in to sign on?

Thanks,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

From previous similar questions here, I believe that you will only get money from the day on which you actually went in and started your application process.
    you cannot claim for any time before that.

That is why people are always told to go straight to the dole office the day after they are let go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 russel88

Was expecting this to be the reply. My own fault for not checking it out myself!

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

I was made redundant on the 28th december 2008 which was a sunday and over the xmas period. I went to the social welfare office the next day but it was closed for most of the week because of rescheduled bank holidays and new year so it was the 5th janurary before I could actually give them my forms and they wouldnt backdate even though it was there fault.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

You can request for the claim to be backdated, but it is up to the deciding officer then - it is up to you to state your case as strong as you can to have the claim backdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Trish2007 wrote: »
    I was made redundant on the 28th december 2008 which was a sunday and over the xmas period. I went to the social welfare office the next day but it was closed for most of the week because of rescheduled bank holidays and new year so it was the 5th janurary before I could actually give them my forms and they wouldnt backdate even though it was there fault.

The Social Welfare Offices were open on Wednesday 30 December 2009 and
    Thursday 31 December 2009 and as usual from Monday 4 January 2010 so doubt that an appeal on the grounds that it was their fault that you didn't commence your claim until 5 January would be successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Trish2007 wrote: »

you wouldn't haven entitled to any backdated money anyway. If you finnished up on the 28th you should have been due your week in hand on the 5th of January. That is if you didn't receive this in advance due to it being christmas. most employers will pay two tho three weeks in advance over christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 russel88

cAr0l wrote: »
    You can request for the claim to be backdated, but it is up to the deciding officer then - it is up to you to state your case as strong as you can to have the claim backdated.
    thanks for this info carol..do you think I would have much chance of my request being successful on the grounds of me thinking I had to be three months out of education? What I was told was right but only now know thats only the case if your after leaving cert or on summer holidays between college years

Advertisement