Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord insisting on seeing me sign lease renewal

Options
  • 25-03-2010 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭

Moved into a house with a friend nearly a year ago. Signed a lease, all grand, landlord was very thorough and above board about everything. Fine and dandy.

Now before the year was up my friend moved out and I got a new person to move in.

Landlord was a bit worried I wouldn't find anyone but I did and he didn't miss out on any rent whatsoever.

Now myself and the new girl in the house are signing an updated lease which is fine but I'm extremely busy at work at the moment and can't make any of the times the landlord wants. He called over on Monday and the new tenant signed the lease, I had asked for it to be left there and I would sign both copies when I got home and post out the landlord's copy the next day. The landlord refused to leave the lease for me for some unknown reason and even on the phone when I asked him to post it to me to save time he said he couldn't because "he needed his copy of it".

Anyone know why he's making a big deal out of this? The landlord has all my details on file, registered with the PRTB etc., is there any reason he would actually have to watch me sign a renewal lease or is he just being awkward for the sake of being awkward?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I dont see the big deal he just wants to be thorough. You dont mind signing the lease and he wants to witness it. It cant be that hard to find a time that suits ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

for once I hear of a landlord doing a thorough and above board job and you question that. Just sign the lease and let him witness it and ask for a copy. no big deal unless there is something you are not telling us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

D3PO wrote: »
    I dont see the big deal he just wants to be thorough. You dont mind signing the lease and he wants to witness it. It cant be that hard to find a time that suits ?

Well it turns out it's very hard to find a time as he's only available at certain times as am I.

I have no problem signing it in his presence but it could be another 2 weeks before we can arrange a time that suits us both. I just want to get it done and dusted, hence asking him to leave it at the house or send it out to me.

What I don't understand is why he's refusing? What does he think I'm going to do with it? Eat it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Well it turns out it's very hard to find a time as he's only available at certain times as am I.

I have no problem signing it in his presence but it could be another 2 weeks before we can arrange a time that suits us both. I just want to get it done and dusted, hence asking him to leave it at the house or send it out to me.

What I don't understand is why he's refusing? What does he think I'm going to do with it? Eat it?
    maybe he needs to"witness" you signing it. Make the time man.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Could he call to your work to get you to sign it there?

He could have had a very difficult tenant before and lost money or something so is doing everything by the book, he doesn't have to explain that to you, he just wants to witness you signing it. None of us can tell you why he is doing it exactly. Having a landlord doing everything above board is a good thing imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Anono I would think the LL should be making the time to suit this arrangement. Give him some options of when you will be at home or perhaps he can meet you somewhere on your lunchbreak for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Maybe he is worried that you'll get a solicitor to check it before you sign it.

Make sure you understand it fully before signing.

Cathooo wrote: »
    Could he call to your work to get you to sign it there?

He could have had a very difficult tenant before and lost money or something so is doing everything by the book, he doesn't have to explain that to you, he just wants to witness you signing it. None of us can tell you why he is doing it exactly. Having a landlord doing everything above board is a good thing imo.

I've no complaints about the landlord, he's been very good. I'm just wondering if there is a legal requirement for him to witness it being signed, considering I've already signed a lease with him previously. I would like to get it sorted out as soon as possible, hence asking for it to be sent out to me. I thought I was doing him a favour by trying to get it dealt with quickly but he seems very unwilling to do that and I was just wondering if any landlords on here could tell me why him seeing me sign it would make any difference whatsoever.

To be honest it seems odd to me that he wouldn't leave the lease in the house considering he was there a few nights ago getting the new girl to sign it. If he had done so he'd have his lease signed and in his hands by now, instead of waiting until next week at the earliest, and possibly later, for it.

Jimbo wrote: »
    Maybe he is worried that you'll get a solicitor to check it before you sign it.

Make sure you understand it fully before signing.

That thought did cross my mind, I will be checking it against the previous lease when I do get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Very very odd that he won't even leave the lease. I can understand the part about wanting to see you do the signing, but tbh I like having the time to read over these things.
    If it was me, I'd tell him you want "x" amount of time to read over it first. I wouldn't want to be reading it with him breathing down my neck, something important might be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

It's a bit of a weird one OP in that you've put down a year no hassles and he's acting like this.
    As above, I'd be extra wary about what's in the fine print.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The landlord refused to leave the lease for me for some unknown reason and even on the phone when I asked him to post it to me to save time he said he couldn't because "he needed his copy of it".
    ALARM BELLS, tbh. I'm thinking when he calls over, he'll be in a rush to get it signed, and f**k off quickly once it's done. I'm thinking it'll have something along the lines of you not getting any reductions in rent over the next while?

IMO, when he comes over, start reading it. If he gets irritated, put it in your back pocket, and say you'll be read it over in your own time, as this all sounds very very dodgy.

Advertisement