Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat5

Options
  • 25-03-2010 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hi
    just moved into our new house which is wired with cat5 with four or more points in each room leading back to central location in the attic, where the patch box is? this is where i need your help...i know absolutely nothing about cat5. i have only wireless broadband and sky plus but no phone hooked up yet. what can i use cat5 for now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

CAT 5 cable will support 10/100 Ethernet. That is, Ethernet and Fast Ethernet.

So assuming your broadband is less than 100MB (which it is), that CAT5 will allow you distribute broadband all around the house...wired.

You could also distribute your TV throughout the house like this
    http://www.klicktv.co.uk/tv-and-video-distribution-solutions/tv-over-cat5/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

You can use "properly" terminated cat5e for Voice (telephones) Data (computers, NAS', Media centres) Video (CCTV, TV) and audio. Its very versitale, just depends what you need...

Advertisement