Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

baby friendly places

• 24-03-2010 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

just starting to try rejoining outside world :) little guy is 4 weeks this week and I realised I don't really know what places are ok to bring baby to. Never had to think about this before.

can anyone recommend baby-friendly coffee shops/restaurants in city centre/South Dubln?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Most places are baby friendly certainly I never had a problem in the same area. Have used TGI Fridays in Dundrum a few times since as we live close enough but also some more formal places. I am assuming you'll be out during day/afternoon and most restuarants in the recession should be glad to see you coming even if you have a buggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Marks and Spencer restaurant on Henry street. Food is crap though but excellent place for babies and children. Nice private couches so I happily breastfed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

McDonald's... perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there

First up - congrats on your new little man! Enjoy every second of it, they get big so quickly it's amazing.

My OH raved about a few places when she was on maternity leave last year - basically, Dundrum Town Centre is great! She found the cafe in House of Fraser really excellent and a very popular spot for (new) mums. Milano's - both the one in Dundrum and particularly the one on Baggot Street bridge - is really excellent. We've been to the one on Baggot Street bridge a few times and both the staff and the general set-up is really good (though there are steps down to the back section which could be a problem with a pram if you're on your own though I can't imagine the staff wouldn't help they're so good!).

Starbucks in Blackrock village is another spot that's very baby friendly and easy to get around with a pram - your biggest problem will be getting a seat on the weekend!

If you're going for "posh" in town, The Westbury's lobby area is fab - there's a lift up from the ground floor, loads of room for a pram and comfy seats for mum (and dad!).

Don't be afraid of getting out and about though ... people are (almost always) very understanding and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

An unusual suggestion but the restaurant in IKEA seems to be really geared to little people. I know its not south Dublin but its one of the most baby friendly places anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In Dun Laoghaire, the Royal Marine Hotel does lunch food in their big bar/restaurant area.

Not really pricey at all, but the place is hidden away in the back of the Hotel (which is hidden away itself) it's never really crowded and there's always loads of space/highchairs if you want a lunch out with baba without fear of elbowing or getting vomit on other diners.

Sunday afternoon is popular with families, but like I say it's never jammers.

Have spent many lunchtimes there since #1 arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

The Silk Road Cafe in the Chester Beatty Library which is in Dublin Castle is GREAT for mamas and babas and the food is to die for!! A treat of an outing though as it is a tad pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

The Market Bar off Georges St in Dublin 2. Great buggy parking.

I'm chuckling as I write this as I started a tread complaining about the volume of babies and todlers in the place!

Not sure how the changing facilities are though... maybe another poster will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

M&S in Dundrum is great as well.

Most places are fine, there are a few places that do not allow buggies and as such I would never go there without a buggy either IYKWIM.

If you can fit in the door (the buggy I mean) and you can find a place to sit then feel free to be there.

Starbucks is generally very good, all of them I have been to all over the world are accommodating and friendly. The Dalkey one is a bit of an issue with steps up to the door which is a pity.

The DTC itself is great for first outings with babs, there are loads of places, even the foodcourt is good because you can just grab a coffee and sit on the edge of it and ease your way back to normality.

Finally don't worry if babs cries or starts to fuss, when my little guy was very small I was always conscious of the fact that he was making noise, but, to be honest most people either take no notice or are just glad it is not their own child. So don't apologise for it, if that makes sense. Getting out is so important, I would not have survived the last 2 years without coffee and other adults!

Enjoy this time, it really does fly past!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

The Dalkey one is a bit of an issue with steps up to the door which is a pity.
    Think that has closed down anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

sideswipe wrote: »
    An unusual suggestion but the restaurant in IKEA seems to be really geared to little people. I know its not south Dublin but its one of the most baby friendly places anywhere.

Stay the hell away from Ikea (shop and restaurant) on weekends, pure nightmare. Every pregnant woman and small child in a buggy (ours included) descends on the place at the weekends. Not for the faint hearted (plus the car park is not the most buggy friendly place, very dark and if busy you have a long walk).

My vote would go for Avoca in Citywest, excellent food and very child friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Dundrum cinema do a parent and child film, about 11am, once a week. Have never been but it's supposed to be great, cinema is a bit brighter then usual and a bit more noise I imagine. Supposed to be a good way to catch a film while not having to worry about babs making some noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 angs

hi there
    congrats to you always a bit rejoining the world with a new little person with you.

I always found hotels pretty good lots of space and always very friendly and generally great facilities so easy to get in and out of with buggy etc.

Dunlaoghaire Itsa Bagel always friendly and good changing facilities aswell
    as good food.

Really most places are good generally the most hassle free are larger places where other people wont be bumping into the buggy

good luck

Advertisement