Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin to Dublin

Options
  • 24-03-2010 8:12pm

If you were to fly directly east of Dublin and land back in Dublin, how many miles would it take? Google has let me down :(

(I can't believe I found a use for this forum, saw it and thought, I'll never need to post there! Good work lads!:D)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

The circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,901.55 miles (40,075.16 kilometers).
    But, if you measure the earth through the poles the circumference is a bit shorter - 24,859.82 miles (40,008 km). This the earth is a tad wider than it is tall, giving it a slight bulge at the equator. This shape is known as an ellipsoid or more properly, geoid (earth-like).

Basically, the Earth is shaped like a squished orange, bulging out a bit. Anyway, I reckon around 24,900 miles is a safe estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

Dublin's latitude is 53 degrees North so to go directly east back and around to Dublin is significantly shorter than the equator's diameter. Basically it's the length of that line of latitude.

Wikipedia has all the formulae to work it out or else head to the Maths Forum =>

Edit:

Quick calc gives 24,901.55 cos(53) gives 14,986 miles taking the earth as a perfect circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭YoureATowel

Papa Smut wrote: »
    If you were to fly directly east of Dublin and land back in Dublin, how many miles would it take? Google has let me down :(

(I can't believe I found a use for this forum, saw it and thought, I'll never need to post there! Good work lads!:D)

The closest mathematical approximation of the shape of the Earth is an oblate spheroid, ie an ellipse rotated about its minor axis. Ideally, when carrying out a calculation of this type you would use such a figure. However, if we assume that the Earth is a perfect sphere the error will be insignificant for our purposes here (the maths is also head wrecking).

So, what we require is the circumference of the small circle (ie line of latitude) through Dublin. Wikipedia gives the latitude (ϕ) of Dublin as + 53 20' 52", this is just a random point on O'Connell Street.

Geo_Image3copy.jpg

Geo_Image1copy.jpg

Using a spherical approximation of the shape of the Earth we can assume a radius of 6371km. This figure, R, is the radius of the equatorial plane.

To calculate the radius of the small circle through Dublin, r, use

r = cos(ϕ) x R
    = cos(53 20' 52") x 6371
    = 3803.21km

Geo_Image2copy.jpg

The circumference, c, of the small circle through Dublin is then simply

c = 2πr = 2π(3803.21) = 23896.27km

So, if you were to fly directly east of Dublin and land back in Dublin, the distance covered on the ground would be approximately 24000km.

Advertisement