Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofing - Vaulted Ceiling with Gabled Sunroom

Options
  • 24-03-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi,

We have an extension being built at the moment - a 4.5m x 5.5m sunroom. We were looking for a gabled sunroom with large 'A' framed glass on the gabled end.

With regards to the roof on this - we're concerned about the thrust on the side walls from the tiled roof. The roofer has placed a rafter board along the apex and I was wondering if a ridge beam was a better idea. They are now talking about collar ties (I believe they actually mean rafter ties) but this will reduce the window size considerably, which we are not happy about (we may as well not have a vaulted ceiling if that's the case).

If we were to go with a ridge beam, the end that it joins onto our existing house could be well supported but I'm wondering how the other end would be supported as there would be glass beneath that... The room corner points are block built though.

I'm not sure if I have explained this well - I might post up a diagram of what I mean when I get home later tonight. Thanks for any input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

there needs to be a ridge board if its a cut roof! also the roofer is right in using collar ties without them the roof could spread outwards when the weight comes them. if you posted a photo of the roof you might get a more certain response

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If you want a vaulted ceiling with a glazed gable then this should be designed for you, but not by a roofer unless he/she is an architect/architectural technician roofing part time.

There are a few ways to get what you want, I would be in favour of using and showing a couple of king post type trusses, but that's just me.

I am interested to know, did the room need planning permission, if so what was shown designed on the planning drawings?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

No - it's a small enough extension (approx 4.5m x 5m) so planning permission not needed. There's also plenty of garden space left.

We have an engineer on board who wanted to go with collar ties but the builder mentioned a way without them which we thought was ok. We now have a ridge beam and collar ties, plus supporting steel through the frames of the glazing.

Our final design now is still an apex glass window but obviously the top triangle of the glass is for visual effect from outside as the collar ties will be behind it.

Presuming the roof isn't started yet you could ask the engineer about larger rafters and collars at wider spaces, open the ceiling up to the ridge and expose the collars within the ceiling space making the most of the feature window.

Presuming the roof isn't started yet you could ask the engineer about larger rafters and collars at wider spaces, open the ceiling up to the ridge and expose the collars within the ceiling space making the most of the feature window.

using larger rafters will just carry more of a load without sagging which isnt the issue. the collars are to stop the roof spreading 8x2 rafters spread just as much as 5x2 rafters without being tied in. Also the rule of thumb is that you need a collar tie around about every 1.2m or every third of fourth pair of rafters.

• Advertisement

cork2 wrote: »
    using larger rafters will just carry more of a load without sagging which isnt the issue. the collars are to stop the roof spreading 8x2 rafters spread just as much as 5x2 rafters without being tied in. Also the rule of thumb is that you need a collar tie around about every 1.2m or every third of fourth pair of rafters.
    No, you are missing my point.
    My point is that larger rafters and collors can be spaced at say 600mm centres instead of 400mm standard. Purely to have less collars, making it 'visually lighter' with the exposed collars.

No, you are missing my point.
    My point is that larger rafters and collors can be spaced at say 600mm centres instead of 400mm standard. Purely to have less collars, making it 'visually lighter' with the exposed collars.

ok my mistake i didnt fully understand. ive seen exposed collars before if they made from prepared timber and varnished they can look quiet well but inform the roofer it must be prepared timber or he will use the offcuts from the rafters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

just a thought,
    instead of timber collar ties. why not use s/steel rods threaded both sides and bolted to rafter, you know the type, used on such projects as old barns and the likes.

Advertisement