Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Austria 2011 first timer - logistics

Options
  • 24-03-2010 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Okay I know that getting my place in IM Austria in 2011 will be hard, and then there is the training, the actual race itself but before I even enter the race I have some questions in regards to the logisitics of getting myself my bike and my wife (if she's still talking to me after spending so much time training :rolleyes:) to Klagenfurt.

IM Austria 2011 will hopefully be my first Ironman and was hoping that anyone who has done this race might be able to help me with the following
    • How did you fly? can't find a Dublin - Klagenfurt direct flight so do I go to Vienna and drive down or go through London or Frankfurt? (i'm looking at 2010 details but assume they won't change next year)
    • What price am I looking at for accomodation - don't need anything to fancy but clean and decent location.
    • Is arriving on the Friday and leaving on the Monday leaving myself to little time?
    • I know Nirvana sports travel do a package deal but its based out of the UK and seems expensive.
    I know its early to be talking about this but if I'm lucky enough to get my place I don't want to find out its a nightmare to get there and have to sell my first born to pay for it. Any advice would be most welcome :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

In 2009 I flew to venice and rented a car. Turned out costly and time consuming.

Arrive the Thursday and leave the Tuesday. Friday to Monday is too close.

Accomodation is expensive and most places insist on booking for a week regardless of how long you are staying.

Best way to get a slot is to get someone who is racing to enter you the morning after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Keithgc

Thanks for the advice Tunney

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

tunney wrote: »
    In 2009 I flew to venice and rented a car. Turned out costly and time consuming.

Arrive the Thursday and leave the Tuesday. Friday to Monday is too close.

Accomodation is expensive and most places insist on booking for a week regardless of how long you are staying.

Best way to get a slot is to get someone who is racing to enter you the morning after.

Hi Tunney,
    Any advice for Ironman France? Logistics etc.
    Also re: Bike section, is it as bad as they say or worse?

Hi Tunney,

Sorry Austria is the only IM I have done am familar with. I don't think the bike is that bad in France, I've a few friends that have done it, but the heat is bad so you may want to look at salt supplementation. That is determining your sweat rate and your electrolyte loss and then seeing if you need to supplement during the race. Well documented on the web on how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Sorry Austria is the only IM I have done am familar with. I don't think the bike is that bad in France, I've a few friends that have done it, but the heat is bad so you may want to look at salt supplementation. That is determining your sweat rate and your electrolyte loss and then seeing if you need to supplement during the race. Well documented on the web on how to do it.
    Thanks for that. apologies for hijacking the thread a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Hi Tunney,

Will see you in nice !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

The bike in Nice is a fair bit hillier than Austria. You'll need better bike handling skills too as there are some technical bits and yes the heat is a problem. Also if you're beyond the middle of the pack you may need to be completely self sufficient.They have run out of fluids at the aid stations a couple of years running. The traffic on the route can be a bit hairy too. The toughest bit of IM Nice is the run though. It's out and back loops along the prom and if you're out there in the mid day sun, it's relentless.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

in 2008 I flew to Munich, hired a campervan and stayed in the campsite (middle of IM village). The drive is 3.5 hrs at most and its a straight motorway.

The Campsite has all the facilities. Thinking of doing 2011 and if I do i'll be doing the same again.

Amazing place to holiday too. Great for family and friends...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Aspireto

Hi,
    I have also entered Austria and am trying to organise accommodation. Has anyone any info on apartment rental. I have searched the net but have not found anything suitable. We are planning on staying for 2 weeks. Has anyone else ever made a holiday out of the trip to Klagenfurt?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mayjoe

I travelled in 2008 and brought the whole family. We stayed in Velden which is about 20 mins up the road by car. Stayed in a place called Hotel Barry Memle http://www.barry.at/. Worked out really well. Flew to Vienna and got the train up which I wouldn't recommed. Fly to London and get a direct flight to Klagenfurt. Also would recommed you organise a group who are travelling and ship your bikes separately, so much easier than carrying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 LeonKyr

I'm also in for Austria.

I booked the hotel in August ...

Thinking about flying to Vienna... haven't decided yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

LeonKyr wrote: »
    I'm also in for Austria.

I booked the hotel in August ...

Hmmm... must get my ass in gear and sort accommodation now too, the couple of hotels I looked at in the town were allready booked out :(

kingQuez wrote: »
    Hmmm... must get my ass in gear and sort accommodation now too, the couple of hotels I looked at in the town were allready booked out :(

I booked my flights and accomodation five weeks out from the race last year and had no problems at all. Plenty to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LeonKyr

I booked my flights and accomodation five weeks out from the race last year and had no problems at all. Plenty to choose from.

And what about the prices?

LeonKyr wrote: »
    And what about the prices?

Same if not cheaper as when I booked the same for 2009 8-9 months in advance :)

Advertisement