Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02 Nissan Almera - Radio Problems

Options
  • 24-03-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi There,

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but its worth a try I suppose. For at least 2 months now I've been without an audio system in my 02 Nissan Almera. I arrived at work one morning and everything was fine but when I went to leave in the evening, my Radio/CD player (standard Nissan Almera built in system) wasn't working. On the drive home then it was turning on & going off intermittently. This went on for a while but then I got my cousin, who's a good mechanic, to have a look at it for me. The following is what he has tried so far:

- Checked all connections
    - Checked all the relevant fuses
    - Meter tested the connections coming into the back of the audio unit (power coming to there)
    - Checked the Earthing of the unit (bypassing the standard Earth & also cleaning and securing the standard earth - car aerial)
    - Tried a similar unit from another Almera, which at first worked (albeit looking for a code) but then didn't work, unit not powering on at all
    - Have switched the 2 units for testing at different times to no avail

So the situation at present is the original unit is still in the car but for weeks now there has been no sign of it turning on, not even intermittently.

I know the normal suggestions would be fuses / connections / unit itself, but we've tested all of these. Even meter testing proved power to the unit. So we're lost. There's obviously an issue somewhere but we don't know where!

So just wondering if anyone would be familiar with any similar issues encountered or known issues like this in a 02 Nissan Almera. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. The only other option I see is bringing it to a main dealer which could cost hundreds of €€ in time.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Does your key have a blue or red spot on plastic part? The key is coded to the raido on UK cars (I used to live in the UK and my wife have a 2001 Almera).

You get one red (her) and one blue (his) key... they radio remembers to sets of presets and uses them.. also the radio is locked to your car by a code..

A radio will not work in the wrong car or with the wrong key (1 of 2).

Or if the key's internal battery is flat - but this should also hit the immobiliser too!

(this is another way Nissan get down the insurance rating of this car).

**** I don't know if this applies to ROI spec cars ****

• Registered Users Posts: 33 domall

Hi, thanks for the reply.

After speaking with a technician in a Nissan Main Dealer, I've been informed that in the 02 model, radio units are interchangeable between Almeras (but not in the 2003 model). So I don't think this is an issue.

As I mentioned,when we tried the unit from another car, it did turn on at first, but was just looking for a code, but later, it went dead like the original unit.

I'm at a complete loss.......

Hoping someone might have any ideas on this.

Cheers

Finally figured out this weekend that it was an actual wiring problem on the power supply wires. Bypassed the existing wires directly from the battery and voila, sounds again!

Now I just have to get my brother (electrician) to put in a permanent solution!

Advertisement