Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Older Model, Fuel Consumption Concerns

Options
  • 24-03-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi All,

I’m researching to buy a camper on a small budget. As I have adequate experience and knowledge of running older vehicles, I’m planning to go for a 4-5 berth from the late 1980s to the early 1990’s, most likely a Ford Transit due it being a common van with parts being more available. My plan is to do plenty of work on the van, make it reliable and then build the confidence to drive it for regular weekend breaks and also to tour it on the continent for up to 3 weeks of the year.

Something I have yet to research is fuel consumption. I’m concerned that with buying such an old vehicle, that I may find my travel plans unviable due to its gas guzzling properties.

If anyone has any tips or information that could help me deal with this concern, I am all ears. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance for all responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Service it, and make sure the engine is as tip top condition as it can be, In terms of guzzling, a transit is going to be at least 2 if not 2.5L so will use it up. However, burning diesel according to the engine capacity and guzzling diesel are two different things.

You shouldn't have too much trouble tbh unless there is something seriously wrong with the timing of the vehicle or the state of the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I'd be more concerned about the time and wallet consumption myself.

If you buy as recenta van as you can afford and spend a quarter of the time converting it that you would fixing the old one then you'l be better off. You will have added significant value and it will depreceate slowly. If you spend 2000 hours and 20k on a 1980s camper its still only worth 3k.

In terms of value for money as an example the first van my dad converted is still going after 22 years having cost very little after the initial year to keep on the road. However you would be insane to buy it now.

After 20 years every hose, rubber bushing, bump stop, grommet, oil seal, dust seal, gator is rotting not to mention the rust that you can and can't see. The only way to justify that kind of work is if its one of a couple left in the world and you're restoring it as a museum piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

paddyp wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about the time and wallet consumption myself.

If you buy as recenta van as you can afford and spend a quarter of the time converting it that you would fixing the old one then you'l be better off. You will have added significant value and it will depreceate slowly. If you spend 2000 hours and 20k on a 1980s camper its still only worth 3k.

In terms of value for money as an example the first van my dad converted is still going after 22 years having cost very little after the initial year to keep on the road. However you would be insane to buy it now.

After 20 years every hose, rubber bushing, bump stop, grommet, oil seal, dust seal, gator is rotting not to mention the rust that you can and can't see. The only way to justify that kind of work is if its one of a couple left in the world and you're restoring it as a museum piece.

That's not entirely accurate. Some people (myself) can't afford 3 or 4 K for a van to convert into a camper. What I've done is spent €800 on a 96 transit hi cube to convert. Man hours that I spend on it doesn't matter, as its for my own benefit (oh, and the missus :D) and resale value isn't that important, but I would have no trouble selling it for around 5K, I've seen plenty going for that price.
    Sure, parts do wear out over time, but as with any van old or new this is a fact of life. imo if a van is 2 or 20 years old it doesn't matter. Regular maintenance and keeping the van in check is all that matters, if you can do that, you should have no trouble regardless of the age of the van

Advertisement