Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Web Designer for a day

Options
  • 24-03-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Will pay for a days work.
    I'm looking for someone to guide me through a Web Design.
    I have a very simple website which is hosted with Blacknight.ie.
    It is a basic web brochure of the company, using text, pictures and a gallery.
    I want to convert and use Joomla as a CMS tool.
    I'm happy with the site, but I will want to update text and change pictures, hence I need the CMS feature.

So looking for someone that is familiar with Blacknight and Joomla (also savy with web design), to meet up for one days work and am willing to pay. Any where in the Dublin area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Do you want someone to do it for you or teach you? Im not sure many designers like to sit with clients for the day while they watch them work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Eamo2000

Sposs,
    Good question.
    Okay I don't want to be there for the conversion and any technical details.

When its done, and the website is up and running, I want to know how to log-in, change text, pictures etc...Find information, like how many hits, how to setup a new e-mail. These things I would like to sit down and learn first hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Eamo2000 wrote: »
    Sposs,
    Good question.
    Okay I don't want to be there for the conversion and any technical details.

When its done, and the website is up and running, I want to know how to log-in, change text, pictures etc...Find information, like how many hits, how to setup a new e-mail. These things I would like to sit down and learn first hand.

If you don't mind using a free Joomla template, the set-up should be pretty painless. Blacknight have a GUI for installing Joomla, which wouldn't take long. The time consuming part would be inserting your current content, which would be dependant on how much there is, and to show you how to use it.

I don't know how tech-savvy you are, but assuming you're pretty au fait with the web and computers in general, a crash course in Joomla admin would still be tight to fit in after the tech stuff in one day.

If you can link to your current site, it would be easier to see what kind of work would be involved, and whether a day's pay would cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Will pay for a days work.
    I'm looking for someone to guide me through a Web Design.
    I have a very simple website which is hosted with Blacknight.ie.
    It is a basic web brochure of the company, using text, pictures and a gallery.
    I want to convert and use Joomla as a CMS tool.
    I'm happy with the site, but I will want to update text and change pictures, hence I need the CMS feature.

So looking for someone that is familiar with Blacknight and Joomla (also savy with web design), to meet up for one days work and am willing to pay. Any where in the Dublin area.

Not being smart but have you tried looking at the Joomla demos to see how to text and change pictures etc yourself. On tried on a local server?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It really depends on what kind of conversion you have in mind.

If you're OK with a template then it should be pretty easy to ask a pro to sit down and set up a Joomla install with said template then populate it with your content - if you sit with them and observe this part you should be well able to update the site yourself later.

If you want a custom template to mirror your existing design it's basically putting a whole new front end on Joomla and it will be more than a day, not to mention the instruction part.

A good selection of J templates can be found here:
    http://themeforest.net/category/joomla

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your input.
    Took a look at the Joomla templates and I would be more than happy to run with one of these.
    For my own reasons I don't want to divulge the web address at this moment, suffice to say that there are only 4 pages, 1 of them is a photo gallery, the others are simply text with some pictures and a logo.

Yeah, I don't mind the time consuming part, I'm reasonably computer savy, and as long as I'm shown the procedure and/or the way to do it is correct, I can pick up from there. That is why I'm looking for someone that has already done this, and if they're already familiar with blacknight and joomla that would be perfect.
    Also if it runs into 2 days that not a big problem.

So the question is where to go, how to get someone to do this. Who would be willing?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Any of the books will give you the kind of introduction to Joomla that your talking about there. Just get a joomla for dummies or the like, it'll get slightly more in depth than your talking about here (not much mind) but it's good to know kind of thing. 2 - 7 days would be enough time to complete the book and become competent enough in joomla to do what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Or you can go through Joomla tutorial from Lynda.com - if you prefer following movies to reading texts.

Yeah, you'd probably be as well doing this yourself, if you have a day to read up on it. It'd be expensive enough to get someone out for the one day to sort this out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Hey mate,

Sorry to drop in to the conversation a little late. I think if all your looking for is viewing stats and CMS then your going OTT with Joomla!

As long as you have a basic understanding (and I mean basic) of HTML then you can use www.cushyCMS.com for you CMS needs. There are alot or free easy to integrate options for CMS.

As far as stats go, you do well to beat google analytics, again free and really easy to install.

If you want some help setting these up, send me a PM and I'll talk you through it. But Im sure you can figure it out simply by visiting those 2 sites :)

regards
    Ross

• Advertisement

Thanks Ross,
    Had a look at the cussyCMS. It does seem quite simple.
    However, I am hosting with Blacknight.com and as part of the package, Joomla, Drupal and Gallery are all part of their service. It would be in my interest to explore these and get the most. My problem is to get someone to give me a quick run through.
    Thanks again, Eamo

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

I agree with Ross, Joomla is a bit overkill tbh. What are your requirements?

Thanks Ross,
    Had a look at the cussyCMS. It does seem quite simple.
    However, I am hosting with Blacknight.com and as part of the package, Joomla, Drupal and Gallery are all part of their service. It would be in my interest to explore these and get the most. My problem is to get someone to give me a quick run through.
    Thanks again, Eamo

Joomla, Drupal and Gallery are also all free, so you're not missing out on something you paid for, as such. Blacknight does have installers for these, but manual installation is pretty simple, tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Joomla, Drupal etc are what is known as open source. You dont have to pay to use them and they are freely available to download. As the person above says Blacknight have an auto installer which makes setting these up really easy. There is also wordpress which imo is better than Joomla and more user friendly and is also available through Blacknight. I would say have a look at the different options and then make a decision based on your on requirements without setting your mind on just using Joomla.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eoinmcn

pm sent..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

I am a big wordpress fan, but joomla is much better for producing all-round websites. It's not to hard to pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

hi there. i would recommend you deffinately use a cms, you will get used to joomla, i did but it takes time. if your okay using a predesigned template then ur sorted, drupal which is another cms has loaads of templates for free which arefound at www.drupal.org . most cms provide components or modules, joomla,have a load and drupal do too..if you have any problems with a cms mensioned in this thread just let me know!id b glad to help!

Advertisement