Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil Leak

Options
  • 24-03-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭

Lads

I've a small oil leak in my Golf. I've been told that the gearbox has to come out and to be refitted to fix the leak. Anyone know what the going rate would be for this?

Thanks

Mick
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'm basing this on figures I got when my gearbox packed in on the Leon. If I had supplied the box (975 from the gearbox centre in Naas), it was 250 to do the swap including the new fluids and all that jazz which isn't much anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

I've been quoted €400-450 but I think that might include the sump (sp?) and they are not sure if that is damaged also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Hang on there.

A leak on the gearbox and a leak on the sump are two separate things altogether. If it's leaking from the gearbox, it'll be gearbox oil and not engine oil, so you should be able to eliminate one of the two straight away.

If they need to remove the gearbox, it sounds like it's a seal of some sort - no need to replace the sump for this surely. Or if it's a cracked sump - no need to remove the gearbox then.

On the other hand, you might have two leaks after all.

Advertisement