Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My baby cries in her sleep

Options
  • 24-03-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Morning All,

We have a 15 month old baby girl who is/was the best sleeper and eater going. She goes to bed at 7 - 7.30 at night and doesnt wake till 6.30 -7.00am the next morning. She wouldnt wake up at all during the night for anything. She has a 1-2 hour nap during the day and is a very happy little girl.
    BUT
    The last couple of nights, she is crying in her sleep. Shes definately not awake but shes full on crying, shes also talking in her sleep too (mama, dada, baba etc). It goes on for hours during the night and we are wrecked tired from lack of sleep having to go into her so much.
    There doesnt seem to be anything wrong with her -not sick, not teething, no sore bum, nothing hurting her in her cot/bed clothes etc

It just came on all of a sudden and shes seems so upset when she cries in her sleep.
    The childminder also has had an episode of this during one of her naps.

What is happening? Anyone else go through this? Any advice would be welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭JacksDad

Morning cowhands,

Firstly congrats on your young baby girl!

Our Jack did that a bit at 15-16 months. He still does and he is nearly two and a half. Jack had none of the symptoms you mentioned however he did suffer from ear infections and it used to bother him most when he lay down in the cot and slept. He would stay asleep but cry a fair bit in his sleep. It never woke him as such, but there would be constant cries and moaning of discomfort.

Just my two cents but it may be worth getting your little ones ears checked.

If this is the case, along with the help of an perscribed antibiotic, we learned a little trick whereby if you place a pillow underneath the mattress in the cot near where the babies head lies it keeps the head elevated and can ease both the pressure on the ears and the pain baby feels. It worked for Jack.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My baby does the same,she is 14 months.
    It is mostly when she is teething badly.
    It is nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Hi, we have a 15 month old too, her routine sounds exaclty like yours, She haven't had it for hours but certainly some discomfort in sleep but its def teething. Hope you find the cause It could well be back teeth that are coming up and haven't cut through put causing discomfort. Have you tried bonjella or aquivalent while she is asleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Our 15 month old little boy does much the same (he's been doingg that about a month now) his back teeth are all coming in so we put it down to that, I can sympathise on the tiredness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

will try the bonjella or teetha tonight if she starts..she has a mouthfull of teeth already so I was kind of hoping her gums were hardening up...will keep ye posted.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

If your afraid of losing a finger or can't get the finger in but it on a dummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

So bonjela and teetha, calpol and dozpol dont seem to work.
    Very bad night last night, lucky if we got 2 -3 hours sleep.
    Thinking of bringing her to the health nurse tomorrow

Advertisement