Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suburu Legacy 2L Boxer diesel.

Options
  • 24-03-2010 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭

Thinking of going for the estate version when I can afford one. Anyone got one? I am hoping it will have some thump, currently driving a 2L turbo 200 BHP petrol hatch.

The look of it is ok, better than the saloon, I like the idea of the boxer (low down center of gravity, not much vibration), supposed to be durable and hard wearing, low fuel and tax bills, all wheel drive, lots of space... So, if you have one, please let me know what you think. Knowledgeable peeps critiques and appraisals will be appreciated too. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I have a 05 2.5 petrol estate, and love it. dash has some rattles, this is a known issue and there are many write ups on how to get rid of it, other than that it is a great car. Would love to have got the diesel but could not afford one as they did not come out until 07.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have a 09 diesel estate. No complaints. Bought it last July before they brought out the new shape as I didn't like the look of the new one. Which one you going for?

On long journeys it gets about 6l/100km, on my daily commute about 6.4

AWD is excellent. Plenty power. Quiet & refined. The new one is in band D for VRT & tax, but last years model is band C. New model has 6sp, old model 5sp but to be honest the 5th gear is long so its not a problem on motorways.

I seen a couple of the older ones in C&R, Clondalkin if you are after one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I have a 08, 30,000km up, no major problems. Dash rattles not an issue, I think there was a facelift around 07ish, may have fixed that(?)

Suspension is reasonably compliant and with AWD makes it a good match for Irish roads. The diesel engine is an even better feature though (so far at least). It is really smooth and quiet and even makes a half-decent noise under acceleration.

The money is in the engineering and drivetrain though, interior not on the level of Germans, even the Skoda Superb I reckon. That's a compromise I'd gladly make all day long however.

Haven't driven the new model but a salesman told me it was 'softer' (not necessarily a bad thing on the roads I drive). It is also unfortunately heavier which means CO2 will be getting less competitive as the best of the Germans improve. They're taking the piss with recent price increases as well - on both the Impreza and new model Legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

As above. Rear legroom isn't great for adults at least, but with the seats folded down, good space for load lugging. The only thing I would say is that coming from a 200 brake hot hatch, don't expect a diesel Legacy estate to be a performance car of sorts. The driving experience may be more interesting and rewarding if not quite as pacey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

TomMc wrote: »
    As above. Rear legroom isn't great for adults at least, but with the seats folded down, good space for load lugging. The only thing I would say is that coming from a 200 brake hot hatch, don't expect a diesel Legacy estate to be a performance car of sorts. The driving experience may be more interesting and rewarding if not quite as pacey.

Yeah, gotcha, but the fun is over, I holiday and take part in activities a lot in Ireland, all over the countryside, so the mileage, insurance, tyre wear and petrol is hitting me hard. I am quiet short, so room isn't a problem, but I will be carrying surfboards, dog, wetsuits, gear, tents, sleeping bags etc.... so it's really ticking all the boxes.

I think it's going to be next year though and maybe, if the funds go well a used 09 car.

Thanks a million for the input Anthony4335, Lex_luther, pburns and Tommc, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Mutley might prefer a Forester.:D

TomMc wrote: »
    Mutley might prefer a Forester.:D

ya how big is the dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

I've an '08 - just turned 46,000 km, no rattles or any problems major or minor. The car is a joy to drive - the kind that you look forward to taking out. I've taken it as far as Germany and can vouch for its abilities on longer trips. The trip computer reports 5.8 l/100 km on mixed driving. I'm happy with it.

I dunno, the Forrester is a bit "jeepish" for what I need, the dog is a pointer dog, the estate should be fine! That's a good report 245 Germany AND back! (do you mind me asking what the fook you were doing? Not the ring in a diesel!!?:eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I dunno, the Forrester is a bit "jeepish" for what I need, the dog is a pointer dog, the estate should be fine!
    +1, i've driven both the Legacy estate diesel and the Forester diesel and I preferred the Legacy. I was very impressed, it's the kind of car you could easily end up keeping forever. If only it was available in automatic.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    +1, i've driven both the Legacy estate diesel and the Forester diesel and I preferred the Legacy. I was very impressed, it's the kind of car you could easily end up keeping forever. If only it was available in automatic.

Oh, cool, can you elaborate? (thanks) Give us a review!!

I have a 2008 (old shape) Forester 2.5XT auto. I bought it because I wanted something that was quick and fun to drive, but could also cross a muddy field and lug around dogs, furniture, outboards, etc. It's far from economical, but that doesn't bother me as I don't do huge mileage. I was given a Legacy estate diesel while it was being serviced last year, and I found it to be like a bigger, lower, quieter, more grown-up Forester. I was very impressed with the engine - while it lacked the outright go & refinement of mine, it was very good on both counts for a diesel and used almost exactly half the fuel. The rest of the car just did what I wanted without my really noticing - a bit like your favourite pair of shoes. I'd need the Outback myself, another 80bhp and auto, but I could easily see myself living with one long-term. I had a new Forester for a day recently, and that felt very different from both my Forester and the Legacy. In essence, it's a big, strong Jeep-type affair. That may well suit many, but unless I was spending most of my time off tarmac I can't see the need. It does handle well, but felt a bit more boat-like than either my own or the Legacy. I pushed it fairly hard and it can do the business, it just never really felt like it wanted to.

Hope this helps. FWIW I think i'll be keeping my Forester forever.

Hope this helps.

Bloody right it does, a review from someone who owns the "better" big brother, perfect. Thanks.

I have no issues with dash rattle on mine...the more miles I put up on it, the better it seems to get and I like it more & more each day. Love driving it and anyone that has ever gotten in as a passenger has said how much it impressed them

Before I got the Legacy, I had a 08 Forester 2.0X from the dealer for a few days. I loved that car also. If it had been available with the diesel I think I might have found myself buying the Forester over the legacy, but I'll never know. In saying that, I think I made the wise choice over the alternatives out there

I see where you are coming from Lex Luther. However, I go off the tarmac about twice a year, once for point to point races and the other time to get too beaches in certain areas in the West. I reckon the 4wd in the legacy will be grand!

Looks like I might be in the marked for one next year. I just needed to do a bit of research. Now to decide to go to the UK or not. Again thanks everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's a good report 245 Germany AND back! (do you mind me asking what the fook you were doing? Not the ring in a diesel!!?:eek:)

Nah - didn't do the 'ring - it did cross my mind but the autobahn blasts were enough fun for me. We drove across the UK, got the Channel Tunnel to France and then on to Heidelberg. We did a few trips to the Porsche, Volkswagen and Mercedes museums with a couple of factory tours thrown in.

I suppose the point is that the car is so good that you can say to yourself - 'I'm off for a drive to Germany'. The boot fits plenty of good German beer too :D

I can't see myself changing it for anything else any time soon.

Mad fookers! Sounds good though! Thanks.

i looked into going to uk but got such a bood deal here on a new one it didnt make sense. However with the current model being 9k more than what i paid it might be cheaper going uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Is anyone buying the new model?

I saw one new estate or outback outside the Hairy Lemon a few weeks back but that's it... Has a hint of Lexus GS about it and Ithink I'd replace the grill with the honeycomb option.
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200950196141150

It's maddening that it's only 1g/km over the C band:mad:...

pburns wrote: »
    Is anyone buying the new model?

I saw one new estate or outback outside the Hairy Lemon a few weeks back but that's it... Has a hint of Lexus GS about it and Ithink I'd replace the grill with the honeycomb option.
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200950196141150

It's maddening that it's only 1g/km over the C band:mad:...

seen one around Naas the last few weeks (estate). Still prefer the last outgoing estate though.

Its certainly a much bigger looking car than the outgoing model which probably accounts for the extra weight and higher CO2.

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Still prefer the last outgoing estate though.
    This is getting to be a bit of a theme with Subaru, isn't it?

This is getting to be a bit of a theme with Subaru, isn't it?

yip. Just wish they had put the diesel in the last Forester for a year or 2 to see what it drove like...might have considered it myself

Advertisement