Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Displaying Road Names in Ireland

Options
  • 23-03-2010 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Please move this if it's in the wrong forum.

Should be give more prominence to road names in Ireland.

108544.png

Just some examples
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A good idea. Would be handy indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

All roads but especially rural roads should be given names. It's ridiculous that addresses are just townlands. As someone who used to travel a lot on business and make arrangements to meet small businesses in the country, it was hell finding some places. If I'd been given a road name and even better, a number, it would have made my job and many similar jobs much much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

deman wrote: »
    All roads but especially rural roads should be given names. It's ridiculous that addresses are just townlands. As someone who used to travel a lot on business and make arrangements to meet small businesses in the country, it was hell finding some places. If I'd been given a road name and even better, a number, it would have made my job and many similar jobs much much easier.
    No. I couldnt agree with that.
    Townlands are a peculiarity irish thing and they are something that should be kept and cherished. Ireland already has lost enough of its identity during the boom without proactively persuing it at a governemnt level by abolishing townlands names which have an intrinsic connection with the locality they are describing.

there's already a local road numbering scheme for the 100's of thousands of local roads across the country that is more and more visible in the past few years. Thats going to continue, so practically every road eventually will be signed with its unique number. So you could even say that roads are "named" already if you wanted to. They are definitely uniquely identifyable without having to send out teams of researchers to make up random names for small country lanes.

That coupled with the upcoming postcodes implementation, it should be very easy in future for anyone to find someone in the countryside (when not in possession of proper directions)

If theres one problem it's that people dont know what the number of their local road is and that sat navs etc dont use them either.
    If the government in ireland actually governed and legislated (as opposed to TDs spending over 50% of their time pandering to constituents and trying to get them out of prision for their criminal acts) and got things organised, then information like the full list of local roads in every county whould be published and pushed in the public domain as the key to finding addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

As illogical as it seems, I'd hate to see Irish country roads being given names. It looks awful in the North, these little suburban signs stuck on every by-road with some kind - any kind of name introduced to bring order to the countryside.

L road signs and postcodes ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No. I couldnt agree with that.
    Townlands are a peculiarity irish thing and they are something that should be kept and cherished. Ireland already has lost enough of its identity during the boom without proactively persuing it at a governemnt level by abolishing townlands names which have an intrinsic connection with the locality they are describing.

there's already a local road numbering scheme for the 100's of thousands of local roads across the country that is more and more visible in the past few years. Thats going to continue, so practically every road eventually will be signed with its unique number. So you could even say that roads are "named" already if you wanted to. They are definitely uniquely identifyable without having to send out teams of researchers to make up random names for small country lanes.

That coupled with the upcoming postcodes implementation, it should be very easy in future for anyone to find someone in the countryside (when not in possession of proper directions)

When postcodes come in people won't use townland names anymore. Why would someone but down their townland for an address when no one can find it and post code will get you straight to their house/business?
    If theres one problem it's that people dont know what the number of their local road is and that sat navs etc dont use them either.
    If the government in ireland actually governed and legislated (as opposed to TDs spending over 50% of their time pandering to constituents and trying to get them out of prision for their criminal acts) and got things organised, then information like the full list of local roads in every county whould be published and pushed in the public domain as the key to finding addresses.

It's no good knowing the number of your local road if it's not signposted, which they are doing now, you can't tell some one to take the the Lxxx if no roads are marked.

I've a fried who's a courier and the amount of people who can't give proper directions to their own homes is crazy. They use the maddest things for directions that someone driving has no chance of seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

When ye get post codes ye will get nothing but junk mail, ****e insurance quotes etc.

They are of no benefit to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

I just thought, that, if a road has a name then show it with the direction signage at the junction.

On advanced direction signage it might be too cluttered to show road names too. But at the junction it would look fine.

There are so many roads where I don't know the name. I live in north dublin and know, Griffith ave, collins ave, and call most other roads by the wrong name.

If would increase awareness of road names.

Advertisement