Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New OT rules approved!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

So basically if you win the toss and only get a FG then the other team has a chance to score.

If you win the toss and score a TD game over like before.

If you ask me they half met in between on some sort of ruling and left it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Its only for playoffs though which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I suppose it makes sense that a FG shouldn't decide a game when the other team haven't had possession.

I wonder will coaches still go for the FG and trust their defence to stop the other team or go for a TD and risk an interception.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

absoultely horrible, in every aspect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

bobby wade wrote: »
    absoultely horrible, in every aspect

I agree, its a total mashup of random rules that makes no sense and only occurs in the playoffs!

Technically, team A can score a FG, then the team B has the ball, throws an int, the team A trys to take the ball back for 6, but the team B causes a fumble on the return but they have to finish the play with a TD or the game ends :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

If it was for regular season I'd dislike it too but because its the playoffs I think it adds to the excitment, it brings in another variable so far as gameplanning goes and most of all doesn't allow a match to be won by a coin flip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

I like it. As it stood before, a team could lose a game without touching the ball whereas now at least the opponent has to get a TD to instantly win instead of just bringing out their kicker when they get to the 30-35-40yd line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

But how could a team lose it without touching the ball? The defence is also part of the team! If they can't stop the offence it's their fault. Stupid ruling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

That's true to a certain extent but in American football defenses tire out more quickly than offenses so the team that wins the coin toss has the upper hand and stats show that the team that win the coin toss wins the game more often than not.

Advertisement