Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age - Mac

Options
  • 23-03-2010 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the mac version of Dragon Age is in the shops ? If not, is there anyway I can download it on to a pc (legally) and then transfer it across to a mac ? Can anyone recommend a site for the a legal download of it ?

Cheers and apologies for so many questions! Its a present for someone who only has a mac.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Tusky wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the mac version of Dragon Age is in the shops ? If not, is there anyway I can download it on to a pc (legally) and then transfer it across to a mac ? Can anyone recommend a site for the a legal download of it ?

Cheers and apologies for so many questions! Its a present for someone who only has a mac.

You can buy it for the mac here:
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DAOMAC/dragon-age-origins-mac

I dunno how their mac downloads work. I've never bothered getting anything for my mac book as it's pretty crap for games.

For pc games, you download a small exe that then runs and downloads the full game. The mac games probably let you get a .app file that does the same. So you may not be able to download it on a pc and transfer. Check their faq.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

You can buy it for the mac here:
    http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DAOMAC/dragon-age-origins-mac

I dunno how their mac downloads work. I've never bothered getting anything for my mac book as it's pretty crap for games.

For pc games, you download a small exe that then runs and downloads the full game. The mac games probably let you get a .app file that does the same. So you may not be able to download it on a pc and transfer. Check their faq.

Says it cant be downloaded at my location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

You could possibly wait for the Steam mac client to come out and download it using that. Steam is a bit pricey though unless you can get the game on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

They are macing a steam mac client??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

madrab wrote: »
    They are macing a steam mac client??

Sure are, it should be hitting around April. You get the mac version of Steam games free if you own the PC version, and Valves save games will be interchangable between both platforms. I don't even have a Mac but I think that is pretty cool, and regardless of ones opinion about the steam platform, it is a nice gesture by Valve to their customer base.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/steam-mac/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

While all of Valves own games will be available on the Mac, obviously, many games such as GTA4 as an example won't be, because they are Windows only.

I would not depend on Dragon Age being available on Steam on the Mac, I would suspect it wouldn't be, at least not immediately. Valve have created Mac versions of their own games for sure, but possibly do not have access to the Mac versions of other games such as Dragon Age.

You could email directly and ask of course, Valve are pretty good about replying to queries like this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

While all of Valves own games will be available on the Mac, obviously, many games such as GTA4 as an example won't be, because they are Windows only.

I would not depend on Dragon Age being available on Steam on the Mac, I would suspect it wouldn't be, at least not immediately. Valve have created Mac versions of their own games for sure, but possibly do not have access to the Mac versions of other games such as Dragon Age.

You could email directly and ask of course, Valve are pretty good about replying to queries like this.

True it doesn't help the OP much at all :p, I doubt there will be many non valve titles for quite a while after launch, and the interchangability aspect of saved games will probably only ever apply to source engine powered games

It will be interesting to see if many other developers take the plunge into mac development on the back of this launch, in theory there should be a large gaming market to tap. Also given the large amount of game developers who use the Unreal Engine, and the fact that mac version of the engine already exists, I expect many more to follow suit Valve are successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Problem is that the person I'm buying it for doesnt have a fast connection. So I would need to download it somewhere else and transport it to their mac for them. Does anyone know if this is possible ?

Would be much easier if they just released a hard copy of the game...

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Problem is that the person I'm buying it for doesnt have a fast connection. So I would need to download it somewhere else and transport it to their mac for them. Does anyone know if this is possible ?

Would be much easier if they just released a hard copy of the game...

Did you try Direct2Drive at all? Not used them before as I am mainly a steam user, but they often have have good prices, so I would check out if you can install on a different computer to the download (And if you can buy it in Ireland, don't see why not). Will probably have to setup an account for your friend.

http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/8819/product/Buy-Dragon-Age:-Origins-(Mac)-Download

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I have it for the Mac and downloaded it off Direct2Drive. It took a little over two hours to download on a 15 MB connection. Also they email you a license key so in theory you should be able to install it on another computer and activate there, providing you haven't activated it already on the original Mac.

It's pretty tough on the Mac, there's slow down at higher resolutions and the system gets pretty hot. I am playing on a mid 2008 iMac Dual Core with 4GB RAM. That said it said even with the detail turned down it still looks way better than the console versions.

/thread :)

Advertisement