Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiroshima - John Hersey

Options
  • 23-03-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Has anyone read this and can recommend

Thanks

Pavb2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Yes, it's very good!

It offers a very personal and human story of the atomic bombing. I think there's a tendency to view Hiroshima as this huge event that shook the world, and while that view is obviously right it doesn't really hammer home the story of the normal people on the ground.

It's well written too, in its very matter of fact tone.

I hate pimping my reading log but I wrote a review of it you might be interested in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Squaw Crow

It's pretty good. It follows the lives of a few different people on the day of the bombing and a few years after - if my memory serves me right - i read it nearly three years ago! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭pavb2

Thank's for replies just finished Remnants of War describing aftermath of major conflicts which had a chapter on Hiroshima pointing me in this direction.

I find this happens so often with books where one subject leads to another almost like starting a new thread. I've had this with Shackleton,Scott, Antartic exploration and from Mutiny on the Bounty to the more interesting story of Fletcher Christian on Pitcairn Island.

Anyhow thinking about it I did read your review and it was languishing away in my sub conscience will read again & probably give the book a go

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

one of the best books ever written IMHO

a brilliant view of such a huge event from the POV of real people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭funlovintapir

It's a brilliant piece of journalism

• Advertisement
Advertisement