Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The college should teach us how to fix the printers

Options
  • 23-03-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I haven't really thought this through, and I presume it wouldn't be as easy as just running a tutorial for interested people to come along to, but there's gotta be something do-able about the state of the printers in the college. At about 12.30pm today I counted eight non-working printers in between the panoz, hamilton and laser huts, and I didn't even check every room. Does anyone know if students are allowed to have a go at fixing them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

We're not "allowed" to, but that's never stopped anyone. We're sure as hell faster than ISS.

If it's a paper jam and you know where it is, then go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Ye i really need to buy myself a printer would save me so much hassle in the mornings and/or evenings. The printers are ALWAYS broken!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

TheAmateur wrote: »
    I haven't really thought this through, and I presume it wouldn't be as easy as just running a tutorial for interested people to come along to, but there's gotta be something do-able about the state of the printers in the college. At about 12.30pm today I counted eight non-working printers in between the panoz, hamilton and laser huts, and I didn't even check every room. Does anyone know if students are allowed to have a go at fixing them?

Did you email ISServives and let them know about it? The fact that no one seems to outright tell them about the printers that are broken might not be helping.

Before someone says it, telling them isn't having the student's union moan at them, it's emailing them and letting them know exactly what printer is broken.

Did you email ISServives and let them know about it? The fact that no one seems to outright tell them about the printers that are broken might not be helping.

Before someone says it, telling them isn't having the student's union moan at them, it's emailing them and letting them know exactly what printer is broken.

But they break like almost everyday!!!

In the Arts Block anyway that is the case!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

It's usually all of them, all of the time.

Hope that helps,
    Brewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Problem is, what if someone who did the course ends up trying to fix one and completely knackers a printer for good, who pays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Good old secluded SNIAM lab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Good old reliable Mac room.

Craguls wrote: »
    Good old reliable Mac room.

Craig the Mac Room (if ur talkin about the arts block's mac Room) is as bad as everywhere else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Craig the Mac Room (if ur talkin about the arts block's mac Room) is as bad as everywhere else!!

The Arts block has a Mac room? Where?

EDIT: Also, Craiguls' Mac room is in the East End of the science building, and is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

A Neurotic wrote: »

EDIT: Also, Craig's Mac room is in the East End of the science building, and is amazing.

Someone said it's in their basement?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

It's very amazing, always empty :P

Craguls wrote: »
    Someone said it's in their basement?
    A Neurotic wrote: »

EDIT: Also, Craig's Mac room is in the East End of the science building, and is amazing.

Sorry Craguls I shouldnt have used ur first name ha...Kindof forgot not to.

The Mac Room is near the other computer room in the Arts Block near all the lockers. I spose u could call it the basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

devinejay wrote: »
    Problem is, what if someone who did the course ends up trying to fix one and completely knackers a printer for good, who pays?
    Good point. I can hardly see the college saying "Ah it's grand we'll pay for that, sure you were only trying to help!" That said, I'm sure the problem has been encountered before with staff trying to fix stuff. Maybe it's treated on a case-by-case basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I think trying to teach a load of Arts students how to do something more complicated than 'load paper in tray 2' would be a disaster.

Are they a lot older than the Hamilton ones or something- they really are fecked all the time. As are the computers in 4066- keep loading them with the latest OS and they're still a joke all the time- 4 at least out of 24 out of action at any given time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

But if something breaks at lunchtime on tuesday and no one tells them it stays broken. If they don't get told about it, then it stays broken till wed, and thurs and so on till one of them happens to be there anyway.

I don't work for isservices and i think that there is a lot that could be improved by the way the college network and associated services are administered. But the fact is that most people, have to use printers for essays and don't bother reporting it then as it won't directly help them and then they go off about their day when they've found one that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

TheAmateur wrote: »
    At about 12.30pm today I counted eight non-working printers in between the panoz, hamilton and laser huts, and I didn't even check every room. Does anyone know if students are allowed to have a go at fixing them?

Did you tell someone in ISS?

Do you think anyone did?

How are they to know if soemthings broken if theyre not told?

and that mac room usually has one free mac, but its bloody roasting in there.....

They dont break every day, theyre just never fixed cos noone except the students who dont tell the ISS about them know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

Groinshot wrote: »
    Did you tell someone in ISS?

They dont break every day, theyre just never fixed cos noone except the students who dont tell the ISS about them know?

No, I call bull**** on this, and the attitude really annoys me.

Firstly, printing in TCD is outsourced to RICOH, so is not run by ISS. ISS actually tell you to not contact ISS, but to contact Ricoh (see: http://www.tcd.ie/iss/facilities/printing.php)

More importantly Ricoh have a technician in Trinity from 8.30am-5pm EVERY DAY. And, as you'd expect, he has a monitoring system for the status of all printers in his office. When I complain (and I often do) he tells me "I was just getting around to that".

It's pathetic to think that somebody whose only job is to make sure the printing system in the university is working, cannot manage to have 90% of the printers live 90% of the time. The least we can expect is for him to check every printer in college once a day. And he can do it right from his cosy desk.

We shouldn't need to tell anyone the printer isn't working, if the toner is low, or there is no paper, or the paper is loaded incorrectly, or if it's broken for whatever reason; Ricoh man knows immediately. He just is too lazy to provide a decent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

patzer117 wrote: »

Firstly, printing in TCD is outsourced to RICOH, so is not run by ISS. ISS actually tell you to not contact ISS, but to contact Ricoh (see: http://www.tcd.ie/iss/facilities/printing.php)

More importantly Ricoh have a technician in Trinity from 8.30am-5pm EVERY DAY. And, as you'd expect, he has a monitoring system for the status of all printers in his office. When I complain (and I often do) he tells me "I was just getting around to that".

It's pathetic to think that somebody whose only job is to make sure the printing system in the university is working, cannot manage to have 90% of the printers live 90% of the time. The least we can expect is for him to check every printer in college once a day. And he can do it right from his cosy desk.

We shouldn't need to tell anyone the printer isn't working, if the toner is low, or there is no paper, or the paper is loaded incorrectly, or if it's broken for whatever reason; Ricoh man knows immediately. He just is too lazy to provide a decent service.

Bam. Far too informed and objective for the Trinity forum though. Change it round so it accuses the Ricoh guy of spending his time being a hack in the SU so do doesn't have time to fix them, that'd make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

I was under the impression Kopikat handled the printers etc.

hurr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Are they not just photocopiers and the library printers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

patzer117 wrote: »

Lincoln-pwned.jpg

So how's that new job Groinshot? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Never said they could do anything about it did I? OP said ISS, so he should email ISS, not guaranteed they'll do anything?

Sligobrewer-
    What job?
    I wasnt under the impression that I was getting paid to tell people to go to ISS and not me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

@theamateur - LG12, bro. Printer always works in a room full of future Tech Supports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

Just to let everyone know, the computers in the downstairs Hamilton Mac room have not been working all week. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about one computer. I mean every computer in the room.

Keep up the good work ISS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Fo Real wrote: »
    Just to let everyone know, the computers in the downstairs Hamilton Mac room have not been working all week. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about one computer. I mean every computer in the room.

Keep up the good work ISS.

Some of the ones nearer the door are working, but most aren't. Such a P in the H.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

If you need a lecture on how to fix basic problems with a printer such as trapped paper, then you shouldn't be using it. Infact you shouldn't be in university.

Advertisement