Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old school

Options
  • 23-03-2010 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

iv being playing wow since it was released all those years ago and i love my warrior tank, i feel i am pretty good as i have being tanknig since level 10 and never once went dps spec, has anyone else noticed the spam of idiots these days looknig gearscore and achivements? i read tactics on websites before i ask to go anywhere and still i rarly get invites.

i have a lvl 80 mage for dps and a lvl 80 priest for healing so i have played all styles of the game and honestly in all my time as healing and dps i have saw 2 r 3 other tanks that i thought where as good as me or better, im not talking about gear either, gear is replaced all the time im talking about skill and soo many people think gear is skill and if you dont have gear you are a noob, just yesterday i went into onxy 10 man and the guy asked me for achivement and even tho i have the achivement i decided to link him the drakefire emulet for fun and he was like wtf is this lvl 50 item you noob, i tried explaining to him that it was the key requried for this instance and that i was tanking it prob before he even started playing wow but he was all emo calling me a noob so in the end i had to shut him up wit hthe achivement.

i have 30k hp which is not that great it seems as warriors have nearly 50 k ub so i was off tanking with a deathknight main tank who had 43 k hp, even tho i maintanked this place before i didnt want to upset the raid leader cause he would go all emo again, so just before we run in i wisper the DK " you no what to do?" and he replies nope so i had to wisper him all the tactics and what to do in different phases, turns out i was the only one in that raid who had the achivement and dps where standing at the tail and getting pwned, i was tanknig all the adds and the elite but dps kept dieing and raid leader starts blaming the tanks so i decided i had to go to the shower and left.

rather long post but im bored and in college just saying HI

Clancy - Level 80 Human Warrior - BronzeBeard EU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Yep, see that crap all the time. On sunstrider, people do look for achievs, but not really GS very much. They ask to come for inspects.

If you mention GearScore in Trade you get flamed for the next twenty mins....

Gear is all well and good, but it doesnt replace skill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

If you think you have it bad you should come and check Sunstrider EU. Those pesky SWE123 kids are demanding 5.3k gs for toc10, 5.5k gs for Icc10, and now you can't get into a icc25 unles you have the king slayer achievement. It really baffles me at times, as for me, GS only lets me know what type of gear someone has. A high GS does not equate to skill, in most cases it means you have been boosted, or carried at best. Or you just bought a load of 264 epics from the AH.

It made me laugh last night in the guild im in, i suggested for ****s and giggles we go and do a 9man undying naxx10 run. I got a whisper from 3 guys, who have(supposedly) cleared all the Vanilla, and tbc content complaining about not wanting to go because they didn't know how to do the saftey dance, or had no idea what to do on gluth for kiting the adds, or even on thaddius.

Its even more evident when you get the weekly raids for Flame levi, or ignis in ulduar. No one having a clue about stacking pyrite to kill it in 20 seconds, or the tank trying to tank ignis where he stands, with the offtank having no idea about standing the adds in the fire, then moving them to the water to critkill them.

It seems to me there has been a huge influx of new players who joined the games recently, badge farmed tier 9 and have absolutely no clue about 90% of the encounters, or mechanics of the game. I even did some pvp with a disc priest on my DK, the priest had both of the tbc titles, hand of adal and champion of the naaru, but had no idea that he could mass dispell things. In that case i think it was pretty obvious a ebay, or a account given/sold to a friend.

And with the cata changes, i can only see things getting a little worse.

QQ

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Anti wrote: »
    If you think you have it bad you should come and check Sunstrider EU. Those pesky SWE123 kids are demanding 5.3k gs for toc10, 5.5k gs for Icc10, and now you can't get into a icc25 unles you have the king slayer achievement.

Are you on the same server as me? Never seen ppl looking for kingslayer. Then again i dont pay attention very much....
    It really baffles me at times, as for me, GS only lets me know what type of gear someone has. A high GS does not equate to skill, in most cases it means you have been boosted, or carried at best. Or you just bought a load of 264 epics from the AH.

Im pretty much case in point. No skill whatsoever but 5870GS, and generally 1-5FPS in raids. :P
    It made me laugh last night in the guild im in, i suggested for ****s and giggles we go and do a 9man undying naxx10 run. I got a whisper from 3 guys, who have(supposedly) cleared all the Vanilla, and tbc content complaining about not wanting to go because they didn't know how to do the saftey dance, or had no idea what to do on gluth for kiting the adds, or even on thaddius.

Got that. However i do believe i have only ever completed the safety dance once. And i used to raid Naxx10/25 every week.....
    Its even more evident when you get the weekly raids for Flame levi, or ignis in ulduar. No one having a clue about stacking pyrite to kill it in 20 seconds, or the tank trying to tank ignis where he stands, with the offtank having no idea about standing the adds in the fire, then moving them to the water to critkill them.

It seems to me there has been a huge influx of new players who joined the games recently, badge farmed tier 9 and have absolutely no clue about 90% of the encounters, or mechanics of the game. I even did some pvp with a disc priest on my DK, the priest had both of the tbc titles, hand of adal and champion of the naaru, but had no idea that he could mass dispell things. In that case i think it was pretty obvious a ebay, or a account given/sold to a friend.

And with the cata changes, i can only see things getting a little worse.

QQ

Thats the reason why i find a good guild important. Or rather a guild you can have fun in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Uladh

iv found that with guilds they have become less and less important, iv not done 1 raid with a guild in wotlk its being pugs all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I made the mistake of joining a Pug 40 man AQ. The raid leader was trying to explain the fight

"...and the tanks should use their pull spells, like Hand of Reckoning, etc"

"Overheal [Cheesebread]: Uhm, no. These bosses are immune to those pulls."

"...Dude, quite being such a n00b"

Sooo yeah, I did like Uladh and just whispered the other tanks about the issue, that I had already run this boss just a few days before, and those pulls definitely did not work. Or at least my pally pulls didnt.

Its just as well we got it done, but I did enjoy all the tanks going "Wow Hand of Recknoning didnt work!" etc

I've also had 5.5k GS healers leave a random heroic back when I had a 3k GS score because quote: "Im not up for a suicide run"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Did pit of saron a few days after dinging 80 on a dorf paladin. I'd already done 2 days straight gaining gear, and I have no clue what my gearscore was - but it was only a couple of 245 items, and 232 mixed with 200's.

Went through about 4 hears who kept leaving just because they didn't wanna heal a noob tank. When we got one to stay, we cleared it with achievements.

I've recently had to state in tradechat (ooooh tradechat), to people looking for gearscores for heroics that people have been quite easily and happily able to do all of the heroics in newly dinged level 80 gear, along with completing all of the achievements - before ever stepping into naxx, and before the dungeons were massively nerfed so that every tom dick and wankshaft could do them.

Molten Core was done in lvl 60 gear. Kara was done in lvl 70 starting gear. WotLK Heroics have been cleared with achievements completed in blues.

Gearscore is the epeen backup for bad players to somehow think they can do anything as long as they get it high enough. Still doesn't make them a competent player. In fact, as soon as I hear someone mention gearscore, I pretty much just go with the idea that they have no clue what they're doing. I'm usually right. **** that - I'm always right. Mother****ers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

completely agree with iceman there. Had the same thing last night doing a few heroics on my Spriest. We had a Hpriest who was newly dinged in the run, only 12k mana and in blues, he was doing fine, but running out of mana quite quickly. The rest of the group all pretty decently geared were trying to kick him every 5 mins, just because he needed the occasional mana break.

Gearscore should be used for what it is, a way to judge what gear a player is in and not the skill level it takes to aquire the gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

i play on the US and EU servers. Draka and Mazrigos respectively. US the longest at about 4 years. EU only more recently. And i must there is some difference in how it all goes.

I've been on Eonar, Khadgar and now Mazrigos, each one getting progressivly worse. I had never seen achievements being looked for for raids and stuff like that before i started on them. My US server never really looked for them at all. But now with GS being the big thing that it is. You need it for everything. Still no achievements really.

I think the current GS on Mazz for a raid is about 5200 atm Draka is a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

While i also agree that GS morons are annoying and the trade gs requirement stuff is mostly retarded, its still sort of handy if you use it as the guide it was intended as.

I put together a good few pugs for all sorts of content and i use it as a guide to myself for a lot of them. For something like ICC25 where you want to do 6 or more bosses, I'd just inspect everyone and use the initial score to discount anyone lower than 4.8k or so and not bother inspecing them. Ditto a full run of ICC10.

However, if your doing just the first 4 in 25, a toc 25 or 10 then id be a lot lazier. After id filled the meat of the raid with people i know or have inspected, I pretty much go for the highest GS applicants. I really cba inspecting a hunter and working out if his gems are correct for his spec or choosing between the lock with lower gs and decent enchants and the higher gs mage who has a pvp item or two. Its lazy and its not the right way to do it, but **** it, its toc25 normal (or whatever) and i only have 5 slots to fill and its easier this way. GS doesnt guarentee that someone isnt a moron, but neither does good gems and enchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Im one of those people starting to do the weeklys now, who hasnt got a clue what im doing. But im more than happy when someone takes the time out to actually explain just how im supposed to tank. I find a mixture of people with lower GS and no Ach are quiet happly able to do the weeklys once someone takes a couple of mins at the start to tell everyone the tacs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Play on Bloodscalp here and in answer to your question, yes I notice it all the time. It's very annoying.

Same as you I have been playing since release. I've done a mix of things being Shama dps or heal in vanilla or warrior tank. Outlands same. Northrend mostly heal. I've cleared every raid except ICC because I took a break from the game.
    Now leveling a mage and almost to 80 but the one thing that annoys me is I know people will be bitching about GS and Achi. (When I first came back the very first thing I noticed was people asking for GS. I remember thinking wtf is GS :P) What happened to dps?

Funny thing is I know how to play. I know encounters. But I know I wont get into raids without them. Thankfully I've got a guild I can raid with instead :P

Advertisement