Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with getting deposit back

Options
  • 23-03-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was renting house for over 3 years with other guys. Did not have any contract with a landlord or a rent book. Not long ago we were told to move out.
    Asked about deposit but he told us that he will keep some of it for hiring skip to put “our” stuff in it and for the works in the house to be done. Landlord started renovations while we were living in the house and needed this skip in any circumstances.
    Also landlord said he is no longer looking after the house but some agency and that to get our deposit back we must speak to them. However we never gave deposit to the agency or signed any contract with them.
    Questions are:
    There was no contract, is it mandatory obligation for the landlord to provide it and what we can do about it?
    Also there was no rent book, which is prohibited under law, where can we complain?
    We did not have contract with any agency so should we deal with them or only with the landlord?
    Thank you very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

landlord is trying to pull a fast one. Your deposit is not for skips, Its for damage beyond wear and tear , bills and rent arrears

tell him you expect your full deposit back or you will be contacting the PRTB to raise this. He may or may not be tax compliant but no harm in threatening to call the revenue on him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I'm pretty sure he also has to provide receipts if requested for anything kept from your deposit for any valid reasons (and like D3PO says, trying to keep it to fund his renovations is most definitely not a valid reason).

Tell him you'll report him to the PRTB if you don't get your deposit back. And if you don't get it back, definitely do so - it's a long process but if you don't chase him up, he'll just do it over and over again. I hope you have receipts/bank statements something showing your deposit and rent payments to him - photos of the state you left the place in would also be helpful if it does go to the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Decorus

Thank you for reply! Appreciate it!
    I was contacted by the agency and they told what they going keep deposit for: half of the amount for the skip, changing locks, cleaning house etc...So really instead of 700 they offered 125 euro back.
    There were living people before us and when they moved out just 6 and 2 months ago they got their deposits back in full. We left the house last and have to pay for everyone who lived in it for the last 5 years???
    I said to the agent and landlord that we will lodge complaint to the PRTB, which we will do 100% in case they dont give it back.
    I just doubt if we have to talk to the agency at all? We always paid rent to the landlord. Have proofs in the bank statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

they cannot keep money for any of the reasons listed. Stand your ground here dont get bullied.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

D3PO wrote: »
    they cannot keep money for any of the reasons listed. Stand your ground here dont get bullied.

absolutely 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Decorus

Thanks guys for replies! Appreciate it!
    I got in touch with Threshold and they said will take this case to the PRTB and assist with it.

Advertisement