Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router

Options
  • 23-03-2010 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

i'm helping a guy get his broadband set up. Problem is that he's office is 150 m away from his house. He wants to send a signal between them. Is it possible to get a wireless router that will do this for him. 200m seems a big distance. he doesnt mind paying for big bucks for one cause he's fairly loaded!

Any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

A directional antenna and reciever might do the trick. I have never used one but someone else here might be able to tell you.

Something from buffalo maybe?

Omni Directional
    http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-accessories/7-dbi-high-gain-outdoor-omni-antenna/

That is a bit overkill. I only posted it because it doesnt give a range for the 4dBi antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

There is an awesome amount of stuff on the net about this wifi boosting business. This NZ site is fun
    I made a couple of these windjammer things my self. They helped but the interference from the microwave oven was still a problem. Here is the template

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

If they're on the same domestic power circuit he could possibly use one of those data over power line jobbies that many people recommend. No experience myself with them, but I once used a old satellite dish as a directional antenna. Kismet went mad picking up networks from my old office on a 3rd floor with decent line of sight.

So all in all its very possible and not too expensive, but off the shelf in the domestic wifi domain is unlikely.

Advertisement