Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokes seized by customs

Options
  • 23-03-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

It finally happened, I got a letter from Custom that the 400 smokes I ordered from a company in Oz won't be arriving :sad:
    Probably because I bought them from outside the EU, I'll just chalk it up to experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Bad luck! I worked in a delivery office for a long time. You'd be surprised by the amount of people who actually come in, hoping that someone will hand them over their deliveries anyway. But keep ordering from abroad I say, it isn't often that a small amount like 400 would get opened. Normally that would only be noticed if there was a tear in the wrapping of the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'd imagine it'd be safer to buy from Europe,i've never had a package from Europe(never ordered smokes online,just dvd's/phones etc.) opened before but have got stung for charges on stuff coming in from the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I've bough over 400 items online from outside of Ireland, prices ranging from €1-€500
    The only thing that ever got stopped were a €30 pair of headphones my bro got

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I've bough over 400 items online from outside of Ireland, prices ranging from €1-€500
    The only thing that ever got stopped were a €30 pair of headphones my bro got

Where the headphones from outside Europe?
    I've been caught every time I purchased from a non euro country,from cheap to expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

they'll still get seized if they're coming from the EU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Did I not read a while ago that if you buy smokes from anywere in the EU that once you pay the tax in that country you can take as many as you like for your own consumption...... the irish government have no right to confiscate them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

dubtom wrote: »
    Where the headphones from outside Europe?
    I've been caught every time I purchased from a non euro country,from cheap to expensive.

Not sure, but more than 50% of the stuff the household buys is from outside of europe

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

for your own consumption......
    I'd say there is a limit on what "personal consumption" entails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

the_syco wrote: »

my brother told me once it's 200, i think. if they say anything to you, just say they're for personal consumption. and for feck's sake buy em all the same brand so it's believeable :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Ordered from australia a few months ago too and they were seized. Was only 200cigs. When i contacted the company, they said they would resend them if i scanned a copy of the letter. When i contacted customs, they said i can appeal the seizure and that i shouldn't order cigs online:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Did I not read a while ago that if you buy smokes from anywere in the EU that once you pay the tax in that country you can take as many as you like for your own consumption...... the irish government have no right to confiscate them!

In order to pay the excise duty of the country where the goods were purchased (e.g. €0 for Spain), you must transport them yourself personally. It's Article 8 of Directive 92/12/EEC.

Basically, if you went to France and bought a van load back, customs would let you through no problem if you can convince them it was for yourself. If you went back 2 weeks later, they wouldn't believe you and would seize it all. If you buy alcohol and cigs online this doesn't apply and you will be liable for duty etc...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

the_syco wrote: »
    800 cigarettes.

Advertisement